Jerusalem Land Programs

katz

Has anyone done the two-night "off ship" land tour when O ships call on Haifa?

I am curious about the cost, just a ballpark figure. I checked on their website, but they did not give a price.

Thank you for your help.

Has anyone done the two-night "off ship" land tour when O ships call on Haifa?

I am curious about the cost, just a ballpark figure. I checked on their website, but they did not give a price.

Thank you for your help.

You can do it on your own for a lot less -- as with everything else associated with Oceania excursions.

We are in Jerusalem now. In 2000 we took the ships tour only because we were in Port only one day. Costly and we were just dropped off in the Old City.

We have a wonderful guide for 5 days before we head to Turkey and embark the Insignia. We have the same guide while in Haifa. There are many tour guides recommended by members on this board which are reasonable. Today we are on our own due to a Holy Day and need the rest as we have covered a great deal in the past two days. i am in good shape but the walking can be brutal. :)

The last bunch of cruises only have a 1 night Jerusalem land program - even though at port for 3 days.

Very overpriced at $549 pp for the David Citadel.

I just checked the Web page at the hotel for two nights bed and breakfast $800.. Compared to one Oceania night at $1100.

That leaves you 300 for transport to Jerusalem and back.

Even an Israeli taxi driver would not charge that much :)

I just checked the Web page at the hotel for two nights bed and breakfast $800.. Compared to one Oceania night at $1100.

That leaves you 300 for transport to Jerusalem and back.

Even an Israeli taxi driver would not charge that much :)

Maybe one rogue taxi driver LOL

There is NO WAY that ANY Oceania land program is worth the money they charge. First and foremost, they charge per person. Hotels do not charge per person (and they choose the hotel). Many guides do not charge per person (and they choose the guide and the itinerary). Taxis do not charge per person. Simple math. It's O's profit as the middleman on top of the suppliers' profit. If you want to pay for the convenience of doing no planning at all, that's a hefty price to pay. I know some people do not mind doing so but I sure am not among them.

IMO, the only time an O land program might be worth overpaying for is if you are trying to get to an inaccessible location from the ship in a very short amount of time (e.g. to/from the Taj Majal?) Israel is an easy place to do the planning

We did it totally DIY a few years back on NCL. Train to Tel Aviv, then an express bus to Jerusalem. Train station in Haifa is right next to the port. Saved a ton. Others on the ship used a private tour company, believe the name was Guided Tours Israel.

We did it totally DIY a few years back on NCL. Train to Tel Aviv, then an express bus to Jerusalem. Train station in Haifa is right next to the port. Saved a ton. Others on the ship used a private tour company, believe the name was Guided Tours Israel.

GTI is very reliable.

I also have a fabulous private guide if anyone if interested. She is VERY expensive but worth it. My friend Maria is with her now. You can always send me an email to the address below.

We used Gideon Shor for our two days in Israel. He was very knowledgeable and we enjoyed having him as a guide. While in Jerusalem there was a small terrorist incident within a couple of miles where we were having lunch and he quickly got us out of harm's way. Below is information on how to contact him.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=549825

If you do your own, suggest buying cancellation insurance just in case the ship has to cancel the port.

That sounds like very good advice, but our experience with Tour Companies in both Egypt and Israel is that they are ultra reactive to any type of port cancellation and would usually have refunded our deposit before we even filed the claim. Truly, the companies were so protective of their (admittedly spotless) reputations that having the insurance was a waste of time and money.

In other Countries, Myanmar, for example, you mustn't make a move without adequate insurance.

We were on riviera in early May and booked tours through Guided Tours Israel. Our guide was superb and the cost was half the price of the ship's tours. There were only 15 of us on the mini bus so we got around easily. We even managed to fit in a boat trip on the Sea of Galilee.