This cruise is nickel and diming me to DEATH!

I just found out on another thread that yet another "thing" is NOT included in the cruise. I know - I know this topic has been beat to death and I'm right there with you and the rolling eyes but before I get anymore unpleasant surpises what besides the following are NOT included?

-johnny rockets

-ben & jerrys

-specialty coffee

-soda

-golf simulator (just found this one out)

-certain classes in the gym

Yes, I know all about alcohol, spas, tips etc. I'm talking about things that really should be (or what we might assume would be) included in the full price...but aren't. :rolleyes:

the golf simulator is only able to handle a very limited number of people. I think it is booked in 30 minute sessions, and really is booked almost 100% during the sea days. If you really want to use it, book it for a port day.

If it was free, it would be completely impossible to book.

jc

Hi

The specialty restaurants Chops and Portafino should be added to your list....

Also, you must buy a specialty coffee in order to get cookies at L'attitudes....

Otherwise cookies are free at the Windjammer and Promenade Cafe.....

Jill:cool:

Also, its not like they are hiding the fee:

Golf Simulator s.gif

Want to get ready for a big game at the next port? If you're sailing on a Voyager or Radiance-family ship, we've got just the thing to help you work out that slice. Our realistic golf simulator is a great tool for perfecting your game. And it's a whole lot of fun, too. A small fee is required.

Same with Johhny Rockets:

Costs s.gif

A nominal fee of $3.95 USD applies per dining guest, including gratuities. Soda, bottled water and milkshakes are offered at current menu prices.

The alternative if to build the costs of all the items into everyones cruise cost, which raises the cost of the cruise, which in my eyes doesnt seem right, as I dont use these items. It seems to me you would rather have it included in your price you pay up front, but in the end, it is the same, either you will pay more up front for the cruise, or pay as you go for the items you use. I prefer the second. I guess we each prefer different ways of paying for the same items.

All that's paid for on your cruise is your cabin, your meals and entertainment. After that everything else is extra. Granted there are things like the rock wall, inline skating, the gym (the equipment, not the classes), and a few other small items you could list out but mostly it's the cabin, meals and entertainment. Oh yea, and daily transportation to new and exotic ports almost daily.

In other words, cruising is not all inclusive. I'm not sure that it ever was. Of course, you don't have to eat at the surcharge restaurants, you don't have to go the the fitness center classes (you can do your own for free), you don't have to get a massage at the spa or spend a dime past what the cruise costs you to have a good time. It's not the cruise that nickel/dimes you to death. It's your desire to do all the extra's.

There was no fee at Johnny Rockets when I was on my cruise. This info is a HUGE disappointment. Johnny Rockets was a favorite of ours, ate lunch there just about everyday and even though there was no charge we did leave a generous tip.

After having been on my first cruise, I just don't understand these types of complaints. (I am saying this sincerely and not sarcastically to the OP.) These are all things that you can either choose to do or choose NOT to do. If you do not want to pay the fee, then don't choose those activities. There are still so many other things to do on the cruise. Food is FREE in the dining room. Its not like you are forced to go to Johnny Rockets because no other food is available.

We were trying to keep our Sea Pass bill down, so we didn't go to the spa, we didn't order any alcoholic drinks, we didn't go to Johnny Rockets. I did allow my DD10 to have a Ben & Jerry's every day. It made her happy and I think it only added about $15 to our bill. My DH and my DD10 climbed the rock wall because it was free, they may or may not have depending on how much it cost if RCCL would have charged for it.

Where did we spend our money? I bought 3 8x10 photos and one 5x7. These were very nice and worth the price. We also bought soda cards for all of us because we felt we would get good value out of it.

So, I guess what I am saying is that there is so much you can do on the ship that IS free. You can go on there and not spend a penny if you do not want to . (I am not including tips in this, of course.)

Maggie

I feel like RCI has more extra fees than other cruise lines I've been on. I knew it up front, though. Perhaps it's because they seem to cater to kids more.....that or we never frequented extra feed concessions on other cruises. I expect to pay for drinks, spa services and specialty restaurants. Truthfully, I wish they'd get rid of venues such as Johnny Rockets, Ben and Jerry's etc., etc. It's just another hassle to steer kids away from. Arcade games and internet usage in kids clubs are another thing I hate to have to deal with. It's not that my child won't have discretionary spending money....he will. But I just feel that I have to deal with that sort of stuff when I don't want to think about it. My child is a reasonable kid but when you have all that stuff staring you in the face every day...it's hard not to want it. We'll see how it plays out and if the extras on the ship are fun and reasonable or just another hassle forcing us to spend some more money. JMHO.

There was no fee at Johnny Rockets when I was on my cruise. This info is a HUGE disappointment. Johnny Rockets was a favorite of ours, ate lunch there just about everyday and even though there was no charge we did leave a generous tip.

First, I'll mention that I've been on three Voyager class cruises, and have not used JR's once, though the kids have.

If I were to personally use JR's, I would actually like there to be a surcharge. In my mind, that would limit the traffic somewhat at JR's....there usually has been a wait when I've passed by the restaurant as it stands now, I would think the line would be endless were there no surcharge.

First, I'll mention that I've been on three Voyager class cruises, and have not used JR's once, though the kids have.

If I were to personally use JR's, I would actually like there to be a surcharge. In my mind, that would limit the traffic somewhat at JR's....there usually has been a wait when I've passed by the restaurant as it stands now, I would think the line would be endless were there no surcharge.

Yep, it did get crowded, long lines. But we got there right when it opened for lunch and never had a problem. Even went there late afternoon and never had a problem. I guess when something was orginally free and then they change it to a fee it just becomes a disappointment. When I returned from this cruise I had nothing but good things to say about it. Just think they can go overboard with the fees.

Guess it depends on how you look at it. If they were charging you for all of the "extras" then it would be very troubling. But in fact, they are charging you for typically "premium" extras:

Examples: Johnny Rockets offers burgers/dogs/fries. These are available free in the Windjammer, though admittedly, the Windjammer versions are insuperior. So you pay for the "premium" but you still get burgers included in your cruise fare.

Same is true for Ben and Jerry's: soft serve ice cream is free in multiple locations

but premium ice cream must be purchased. Again, many feel the Ben and Jerry's is better and worth paying for. Coffee works the same way, and perhaps even soda, though I personally am not sure that lemonade and "iced tea" are reasonable substitutions for Coke.

As for the activities, the gym is free for use, but instructor lead classes have a charge. This is exactly the way any gym I have ever belonged to works, and I am not surprised or even disappointed to find this on the cruise. There are far more free activities than there are charged: mini-golf, climbing wall, rollerblading (Voyager class), pool, card room, etc etc. In fact, I think the golf simulator is one of the few that is charged for.

So to me, these "per use" options are not troubling at all, they are simply options that you need to choose over what is already included.

Golf sim was $25.00 per session which is 1/2 hour but that is up to I believe 4 people.Johnny Rocket's was very over crowded when I went (it was free). You had to pay for shakes and soda's back then anyway. I went for the shake. By introducing the price, it has cut down on the amount of people and wait time. The Kid's Club goes there about three times for dinner (on formal nights).

I have a question regarding the surcharge at Johnny Rockets, I understand that it is about $3.95 surcharge, not including any drinks. Is the tip automatically added to the drinks ordered, like they do with the bar service? What would an appropriate amt of tip to the waiter be?

It does seem there are lots of extra charges, but if you compare the price of cruising today with 10 or 20 years ago you may be able to understand it a little better. We pay less than we did then and taking inflation into consideration that is saying something, not to mention the newer ships with more amenities than we ever dreamed of in the 80s. What you have now is: meals, lodging and entertainment paid for in your cruise price. You can choose to not do anything special and only have tips to worry about after you board. You do not even have to buy soft drinks, you can choose tea, coffee, water or bring your own on board. You do not need to purchase alcohol, that is a personal choice (we do) and you need not gamble, go anywhere with a cover charge or eat in a specialty restaurant. Beleive it or not many do not end up with any additional charges. you can simply get off the ship and walk around, you do not have to do tours. By offering the bare essentials the lines can keep the price at a rate the average family can afford. Do we spend extra? We sure do but we know we have choices. I would only let the nickel and diming bother me if I had no clue of any extra charges prior to my cruise. Are we lucky to have CC and other boards to help us learn before we sail? NMNita

To the OP, there is a line (Seadream Yacht Club) that is all inclusive. But you better be prepared to pony up:eek:

Just for giggles, I checked sight - on average it is about $5-7k PER PERSON for a weeks cruise in their BASE cabins:eek:

Now personally, between fare and sail pass, there is no way I will get anywhere near $5k per person!! Of course, your sailing with less than 800 Pax I believe, so they have to make their money somewhere!!

I'll just stay where I'm at and save me some money:)

It amazes me that people are still complaining about the charge at JRs. If they are repeat RCL customers and are signed up for C&A, they will receive coupons for a free visit to JRs. The same for the internet....there's a coupon! Also a coupon (for % off) the specialty coffees at Latte-tudes. My DH loves his frappacinos, and when we mentioned this one night at dinner everyone else at our table gave him their coupons because they weren't going to use them. I'd rather pay for these "extras" than have it rolled into the price of my cruise because for the most part, we don't use any of this stuff. We haven't even sailed on a ship with a JRs (we've only been on Radiance class) but we still get the coupons.

As for the activities, the gym is free for use, but instructor lead classes have a charge. This is exactly the way any gym I have ever belonged to works, and I am not surprised or even disappointed to find this on the cruise. .

I have been a member of various gyms for 15 years and go regularly. I have never paid anything to attend a class.

I take Power Yoga 3-4 times a week regularly and an occasional kickboxing class. There is never a charge.

On RCI, these charges are fairly recent, about 3 years now. They do still offer some free classes but not as many.

That being said, I would be willing to pay if the classes justified the charges. But as a regular exerciser and a personal trainer, they are not worth a surcharge.

As for Johhny Rockets, Ben and Jerrys, etc., it is my preference that these things are extra. I do not use them, ever, and would not like to pay a higher cruise cost so that others can without a charge.

I do enjoy and am happy to pay for the alternative restaurants as it offers something I cannot find anywhere else on the ship: intimate dining in an adult atmosphere with excellent food and service.

As for Johhny Rockets, Ben and Jerrys, etc., it is my preference that these things are extra. I do not use them, ever, and would not like to pay a higher cruise cost so that others can without a charge.

That statement implies that they lowered the ticket price when they installed the fees. We all know that is not the case. We are all paying the same amount, if not more, even though they implemented a charge.

I would prefer them not to have Ben & Jerry's. Why would I want something I can get at the grocery store down the street? It's nothing special. I have never and will never go to Ben & Jerry's. It's kind of like my own personal protest.

I feel like RCI has more extra fees than other cruise lines I've been on.

I would big to differ. What other cruise lines are you referring to that doesn't have as many extra fees as RCI does?

In the past two years, on top of sailing RCI, I've also sailed HAL and NCL, they all have extra fees. There's fees for eating in specialty dining, there's fees for certain classes in the gym, there's fees for soda, etc.

I agree with the other posters that state that all these fees are optional charges. No one forces you to eat at any of these places or participate in any of the gym activities, etc. I for one, would not want to pay the high price of an all inclusive fee. I like the fact that its left up to me what extras I am and am not willing to pay for.

Archived