Midnight sailaway!

Now this should be interesting - booked Legend 5/14/15 relo Ensenada to Hawaii scheduled to sail at 11:59 PM (need to drop all passengers in San Diego & dead-head to Ensenada for the PVSA restrictions).

Muster at 11:00 PM??????????????

Anyone ever sail away or muster this late?

They probably will hold the muster drill the next day. Cruises that sail from Alaska southbound . They usually hold muster drill the next day.

On all of my southbound Alaska cruises the muster drill was held before sailing.;)

Things have changed since the Costa Concordia.

Edited by songster2

They probably will hold the muster drill the next day. Cruises that sail from Alaska southbound . They usually hold muster drill the next day.

Have not ever been on an RCI ship that sailed and did muster next day. After Concordia they really got strict on mustering. not saying you have not experienced this but it would be way outside of current "normal"

We've been on 2 Hawaii cruise's on RCCL from Ensenada to Hawaii and both of them the muster was the following day. Now that was 10 years ago but I would imagine it would be the same now.

Ships are currently required by SOLAS to conduct a “passenger muster” within 24 hours of departure from the embarkation Port. All passengers, regardless of whether they have cruised before, are required to attend. Cruise Line International Association (CLIA) member lines conduct these “passenger musters” before the ships leave port.

I've been on quite a few late sale aways... and they have always had a muster prior to the ship leaving port. This has been the policy long before the Concordia. There may be a muster early, say 8 or 9 pm, and then in the morning for anyone on board who missed the evening muster. Or they may do it after all-aboard.

This is from The SOLAS website. Regulations changed Jan 1 2015.

Response to Costa Concordia incident

IMO's Maritime Safety Committee (MSC) responded quickly to the Costa Concordia incident of January 2012, agreeing interim recommended operational measures for passenger ships at its meeting in May 2012.

In November 2012, the MSC agreed that rules to require passenger safety drills to take place prior to, or immediately upon, departure should be made mandatory. It also updated the interim recommended measures and a long-term action plan.

In June 2013, the MSC adopted amendments SOLAS regulation III/19 to require musters of newly embarked passengers prior to or immediately upon departure, instead of “within 24 hours”, as stated in the current regulations. The amendments are expected to enter into force on 1 January 2015. It also updated the long-term action plan and the interrim measures (MSC.1/Circ.1446/Rev.2), to include new recommendations relating to harmonization of bridge navigational procedures across a fleet or fleets; securing of heavy objects (procedures to ensure securing of heavy objects to be incorporated into the safety management system); stowage of life-jackets (including stowage of additional life jackets near muster stations); extending the use of video for passenger emergency instruction notices; and following voyage planning guidance in the case of any deviation.

Last check-in for this sailing is 10:29 PM (per the invoice), so I'm assuming muster sometime between 11:00 PM and 11:59 PM - which I'm very much OK with.

Don't care how often you sail - military taught me you "play like you practice", need to do the walk through.

Will be interesting though.

CL & DL open that night with a 6:00 PM check-in start???

I wouldn't be happy if they didn't do muster the first day. Heck, from my aft balcony above the scarred Grandeur last May we watched as a whole pile of passengers just sat around up on deck while their alarm/drill took place, that ship didn't even make them report to the station, just let them hear what the emergency signal sounded like. Not good at all.

Judy

Last check-in for this sailing is 10:29 PM (per the invoice), so I'm assuming muster sometime between 11:00 PM and 11:59 PM - which I'm very much OK with.

Don't care how often you sail - military taught me you "play like you practice", need to do the walk through.

Will be interesting though.

CL & DL open that night with a 6:00 PM check-in start???

I agree. People have no concept of what a drill is like when it's real. If you cannot do it perfectly in 'normal' siuation..............

And re the lounges..ABSOLUTLY!.

For our last Muster we had to report to the Dining Room. So we all sat in nice comfortable chairs watching a demonstration of how to put on our life vest and told if this was a real emergency we should report to out muster station.

Since on previous cruises we've waiting outside under our lifboat in the hot sun waiting for the crew to round up the remaining passengers it was nice being in the dinning room. But if this was a first cruise for anyone they might be confused about what to do in a real emergency. I don't think there is any point in having a Muster Drill if you don't report to your lifeboat.

For our last Muster we had to report to the Dining Room. So we all sat in nice comfortable chairs watching a demonstration of how to put on our life vest and told if this was a real emergency we should report to out muster station.

Since on previous cruises we've waiting outside under our lifboat in the hot sun waiting for the crew to round up the remaining passengers it was nice being in the dinning room. But if this was a first cruise for anyone they might be confused about what to do in a real emergency. I don't think there is any point in having a Muster Drill if you don't report to your lifeboat.

I have only had 1 cruise where we met at an inside area (probably because we don't sail the bigger ships?) and I asked how to get to the assigned lifeboat. At first the "leader" blew this off with a response that they would take us - but when asked what happens if they couldn't get there - she led the way and pointed it out. You could sort of see the light bulb go off.

If water is swirling around my ankles I would not be inclined to sit and wait in an interior muster spot!

We just did a cruise in Norway and sailed out of Skjolden at midnight. At this time of year it never goes completely dark in Norway so you could have seen lots when we left port....if I hadn't fallen asleep I am sure it looked lovely ;)