Train from Southampton to London Victoria

After a change of plans we are now staying post cruise at the Z Hotel, which is near the Victoria train station. Our earlier plan had been to take the NE coach from Southampton and stay near the coach station. I have found a no change train that will get us where we need to go. We might even be able to get a 5£ fare. After all that, my question is exactly how much hauling will we have to do with our suitcases? I won't be able to manage many stairs, and one of our party has a bad shoulder. With those considerations is it better to take an NE coach and let them load the luggage and maybe taxi to the hotel, or might we manage getting them onto the train? I am guessing we have to lift them onto the train and store them in our train car?

Well, I can't comment on the Southampton end, because I've never been there by train, at Victoria there are luggage carts, usually available on the platform as you get off the train (1 step, wide door). They're the type that you need a pound coin as a deposit, so make sure you have one!

Southampton station has one set of elevators on each platform at one end on the bridge that connects the two station lobbies with each platform. I do not recall seeing any carts, but was not looking for them.

After all that, my question is exactly how much hauling will we have to do with our suitcases? I won't be able to manage many stairs, and one of our party has a bad shoulder. With those considerations is it better to take an NE coach and let them load the luggage and maybe taxi to the hotel, or might we manage getting them onto the train? I am guessing we have to lift them onto the train and store them in our train car?
At Southampton, the taxi should be able to drop you off on the side of the station for London-bound trains, so there should be level access to the platform. If you're dropped off at the wrong side of the station, it's lift (elevator) up, walk across the bridge, lift down - so not a huge amount of hassle even if the taxi driver gets it wrong.

You will have to lift the bags onto the train and roll/carry them to wherever there's space to put them (which is often a matter of improvisation). And you'll have to get them off the train again at Victoria.

Personally, I'd be taking a fast train from Southampton to Waterloo and then getting a taxi to your hotel from there despite where it is. The train to Victoria is sloooooooow.

This train uses one of the middle platforms at Southampton, you'd need to use the elevators. But very easy access from platform to train, just one low step.

The direct service to Victoria is hourly, on a random date the cheapest fare is for the 11.13am which is a little late for most ship disembarkations & would leave you hanging around. But the 10.13am at £10 would suit, or the 09.10 at £15 if you wanted an earlier start.

Bear in mind that at about 2hrs 30 minutes it's no quicker than the Nat Express coach - its route is an hour slower than trains to London Waterloo because it goes two sides of a triangle - instead of heading north-east to London, it heads east near the coast, then turns north via Gatwick to Victoria. On the other hand, the countryside is prettier and it's cheaper.

Minor pros & cons versus the Nat Express coach, it depends really whether you prefer coach travel or train travel.

Because of luggage, it sounds like you'd feel more confident with the coach.

(nb bear in mind that your departure point by coach is Southampton coach station, not "cruise terminal" which applies only to Fred Olsen ships.)

Southampton's central rail station & coach station are quite close together, a taxi to either would cost £5 to £10 from any cruise terminal.

JB :)

Your hotel is very close to Victoria Coach station and to be honest I would go for that option. You can get a taxi to the National Express Coach station in Southampton and the driver will take your luggage from you as you board and store it securely. You just then sit back and relax till you get to London. The walk to your hotel should be an easy one from there and the coach station an easier option as it's a smaller area to 'escape' from!

Personally, I'd be taking a fast train from Southampton to Waterloo and then getting a taxi to your hotel from there despite where it is. The train to Victoria is sloooooooow.

That's because when you go to London, you're going home. I don't think a tourist would mind the extra time, unless they have a specific tour or something scheduled. And the OP's hotel is sooo close to Victoria that it is an easy walk once there.

It just occured to me that you mentioned something about not being able to manage many stairs. Well, personally I always find getting on a long-distance coach, with its rather steep, narrow staircase, much harder than hopping on a train, especially in the UK where the trains usually just have one step and the door is nice and wide. Another consideration.

My stair issue is while lugging a suitcase around. Our first trip to London, a co-worker of my dh convinced us to take the tube from LHR to County Hall area. We had a change or two, stairs to deal with, and it wasn't pretty. But just stairs are not a problem.

And yeah, I'm personally still leaning toward the coach.

My stair issue is while lugging a suitcase around. Our first trip to London, a co-worker of my dh convinced us to take the tube from LHR to County Hall area. We had a change or two, stairs to deal with, and it wasn't pretty. But just stairs are not a problem.

And yeah, I'm personally still leaning toward the coach.

Trains are a LOT easier that the tube, especially with luggage, and you'll have no change to deal with. I personally take more buses while in London as it always seems getting to and from the tube platforms are almost a longer journey than the trip itself!

You can actually use Google Street View to see inside Victoria station, if you're interested: https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=London&hl=en-CA&ll=51.495429,-0.144947&spn=0.000007,0.006947&sll=51.500249,-0.13722&sspn=0.040768,0.111151&gl=ca&hnear=London,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=51.495407,-0.14496&panoid=FpiCdLbqn-MaJxI6spBh8Q&cbp=12,176.03,,0,9.1

That's because when you go to London, you're going home. I don't think a tourist would mind the extra time, unless they have a specific tour or something scheduled.
No, it's what I would do even if London weren't home. Wherever I was, I would find a train like that a slow and frustrating experience, given that there's a more efficient alternative.

It just occured to me that you mentioned something about not being able to manage many stairs. Well, personally I always find getting on a long-distance coach, with its rather steep, narrow staircase, much harder than hopping on a train, especially in the UK where the trains usually just have one step and the door is nice and wide. Another consideration.

The reason I mentioned the coaches was the OP was concerned about lifting the luggage up stairs and when we used the coach at Southampton, we got the taxi to the coach station, then it was an easy level walk pushing our cases across the waiting room. When the coach came in, we just walked through the door and the driver took our cases from us at that point. At Victoria there were no steps either and we were just a very short level walk to our taxi. My OH struggles with luggage too and honestly this was the easiest possible route.

We had a dreadful experience at Southampton train station where the lifts were broken and there was no-one to help us up the stairs. It was shocking to have to get our suitcases up quite a few concrete stairs without any help at all. There were disabled people there too who were in terrible trouble.

The other thing with the train service is that there is no dedicated place to store you luggage. You may have to sit with your back to the luggage and as the only space large enough to put them is by the doors you have to watch every time the train stops to ensure that no-one walks off with the case. There are very small cubby holes for luggage but not for large cases.

We do go by train to Southampton from where we live, but we learnt our lesson and now book assistance. This seems to works very well from our local station but can be hit or miss at Southampton. Last time there was no-one waiting for us when we arrived but as the lifts were working we were ok. On our return we were able to find someone to help us.

No, it's what I would do even if London weren't home. Wherever I was, I would find a train like that a slow and frustrating experience, given that there's a more efficient alternative.

I fully agree. South West Trains services take between 1hr 20mins and 1hr 40mins from London Waterloo. Southern take 2hrs 30mins.

Southern come with the added irritation of the train splitting en-route so you have to be in the right portion or you'll end up in Bognor Regis and the trains are even less suited for people with luggage then the white South West Trains units.

Edited by Red Fox

The reason I mentioned the coaches was the OP was concerned about lifting the luggage up stairs and when we used the coach at Southampton, we got the taxi to the coach station, then it was an easy level walk pushing our cases across the waiting room. When the coach came in, we just walked through the door and the driver took our cases from us at that point. At Victoria there were no steps either and we were just a very short level walk to our taxi. My OH struggles with luggage too and honestly this was the easiest possible route.

We are thinking of doing the same thing.

How much was the taxi from the ship to the Southampton Bus terminal?

Was it easy to get a taxi?

Did you buy your bus tickets ahead of time on line?

Any other tips?

Thanks.

We are thinking of doing the same thing.

How much was the taxi from the ship to the Southampton Bus terminal?

Was it easy to get a taxi?

Did you buy your bus tickets ahead of time on line?

Any other tips?

Thanks.

From any cruise terminal it's a 5 to 10 min taxi ride' date=' £6 to £10.

A line of taxis waiting at all cruise terminals, anything from immediate to a 20 minute wait.

You definitely need to pre-purchase your coach ticket, frequency is poor and you won't want to hang around because coaches have booked-out. But be aware your ticket is only good for the time you've selected (leeway is given only for coaches departing from airports)

On current timetables the 08.20 is possible (ideally with early unassisted disembarkation) if you're in a hurry, the 09.30 is ideal, or the 10.30 if you're feeling lazy.

Be aware of the luggage terms on their website. Usually not strictly enforced if you are vaguely somewhere around the limits.

[b']

JB[/b] :)

From any cruise terminal it's a 5 to 10 min taxi ride, £6 to £10.

A line of taxis waiting at all cruise terminals, anything from immediate to a 20 minute wait.

You definitely need to pre-purchase your coach ticket, frequency is poor and you won't want to hang around because coaches have booked-out. But be aware your ticket is only good for the time you've selected (leeway is given only for coaches departing from airports)

On current timetables the 08.20 is possible (ideally with early unassisted disembarkation) if you're in a hurry, the 09.30 is ideal, or the 10.30 if you're feeling lazy.

Be aware of the luggage terms on their website. Usually not strictly enforced if you are vaguely somewhere around the limits.

Thank you for the wonderful information. I think we will book the 10:30. Why rush!

We did the same thing last time, from Dover. We will take a taxi from Victoria Coach to our hotel.

On the other hand, we hesitate to take the National Bus from Heathrow to Southampton. We will be exhausted when we arrive and it may be too much to get to the bus from the terminal. We are thinking of booking Smith whom I think you recommended.

Thank you for the wonderful information. I think we will book the 10:30. Why rush!

We did the same thing last time' date=' from Dover. We will take a taxi from Victoria Coach to our hotel.

On the other hand, we hesitate to take the National Bus from Heathrow to Southampton. We will be exhausted when we arrive and it may be too much to get to the bus from the terminal. We are thinking of booking Smith whom I think you recommended.[/quote']

You'll probably be thrown off the ship with the other stragglers around 9.30.;)

But yes, it's good to sit on deck, coffee in hand :cool:, & watch the lemmings bumping & barging in their haste to get away.

Don't leave it too late, not sure if there'll be taxis available in the lull between cruisers departing & new cruisers arriving.

Can't personally recommend Smiths, I've never used them, never needed to.

But I see them so frequently recommended by cruisers on this forum. :)

In your position National Express or Smiths would be the two to consider.

A saving of about £40, or a stress-free private ride.