Still not convinced about Specialty Restaurants...

I have eaten at Chops a few times on a couple ships. It can be hit or miss. When it was $20 it was worth it (I think that was what it was). Now for 4 people? Not so much. I compare the food quality to Outback steakhouse. The presentation, service, and ambience (can be but not always) is much nicer than Outback however. For that amount of money I would hope to be lucky and get a great server and chef...it is not a guarentee though.

"But only you can decide whether $35 or $55pp is worth it (I wouldn't pay the additional $20 for the "upgraded" cuts)."

That's the quandary for us: Whether the included MDR piece of steak, vs upgraded $35 steak, vs $55 steak (x4) makes a difference. We as a family of 4 like to order one or two main courses each, then everyone share family style, so the kids (& us also) are exposed to many more varieties of cuisines around the world...

I haven't tried the "better" steaks, but the regular filet is very nice and WAY better than the standard MDR steak (you can get the chops filet in the MDR for $16.95 plus 15% gratuity, but still have the chaos of the MDR). But Chops doesn't really offer "a variety of cuisines" - it's an American steak house (now with more non-beef than beef offerings). Izumi would be your better choice, and the menu options lend themselves to sampling really well. You can each get a different sushi roll, appetizer or entree and pass them around the table.

On our last B2B in May on the Jewel we did not eat at a specialty restaurant. First time ever not doing so.

We got hooked on the carved meats in the WJ most nights and they most always had 2 great veggies..the mixed fruit salad was awesome too along with a cheese roll and I was in heaven. Not overeating but could have what I wanted-when I wanted. They also had personalized pizzas one night that were good.

I am not saying we will not go to a specialty restaurant again for I am sure we will go to Chops again but we did not miss it on the Jewel. Ok... I did miss the Red Velvet Cake!!!

When we go with DD and son-in-law on the Freedom with 4 grandkids next June will let the 2 adults go to Chops for a special night and we will take the grandkids to WJ most likely.

Laura

Jewel has the best WJ that we've encountered. The stir fry and cooked to order steak, chicken and fish are outstanding, too. :). And the new Red Velvet cake looks awful (it was link on Rhapsody), so don't cry too may tears.

Edited by critterchick

We took our Son (23) and nephew (12) whom lives with us with us on our Thanksgiving cruise to the Steak House on Princess, it was great. The boys chose to wear nice shirts and ties and we had a nice family night. Our oldest is in the Navy so it was the first time we were all home for Thanksgiving in years. The boys loved teh food and atmosphere, it was one of the highlights of the cruise. Well worth the price.

You can order the Chops Filet in the MDR for $20? (gratuity included)

Lobster too?

Might try that next time, & compare to the regular MDR Filet at the same time...

The MDR has whole Main lobster for something like $25 or $30.

Our family have 2 upcoming cruises for the summer, one on RCCL & other on Carnival.

Our 2 kids (now 21 & 18) have cruised with us for most of their lives.

So far, We've been very happy with the food & service in the assigned Main Dining Room.

We've dined in a specialty restaurant once on Princess, without the kids. Great experience.

Now that the kids are older, we've always wondered how/why would we want to pay $35 upcharge per person ($140 for family of 4) for bypassing one dinner evening in the MDR for a Specialty restaurant experience.

So let's use Chops Grill, for example.

Wondering if the better ambiance, service, & higher quality of beef justifies the upcharge. Further upgrade to dry aged beef or lobster is another $20.

Could see we maybe go if just us 2. But want to spend quality time with kids also, so still wondering if upgraded Specialty restaurants worth it for our family?

I have a saying: if you want to eat, go to the buffet..if you want to eat better, go to the MDR...if you want to dine & enjoy your meal, go to a specialty venue...unlike you, of my 29 cruises & approx. 100-110 meals in the MDR, perhaps 10 have been from very good to excellant..the rest have been "OK" to "not bad" , to "pretty boring"...that being said, here are my reasons for dining in the specialty venues:

1) MUCH better quality of food - eating chicken with veggies, potato, & a salad, or a dry thin piece of meat, or pasta is NOT my idea of fine dining...MDR food is very much like catered food, like wedding food... that is my experience..only Disney's MDR food has been more of a "B" to "A" grade instead of a "C"..

2) Dining with 50-100 people vs. 1000-1500..HUGE difference for me...QUALITY time..

3) Dining at a table for 2, with low lights & soft music, sometimes ( except Chops on Oasis & Allure) at a table over-looking the sea at the window.....are you kidding me? I hope I don't have to explain this!

4) THE SHARED SIDE DISHES! Wow- here is a big difference you won't get in the MDR...the esparagus with bernaise sauce, lyonnaise potatoes ( sliced potatoes with cheese & onions melted on top..yuumm..) , crab cakes appetizer ( fantastic!)...none of this is available in the MDR...

5) Compared to Ruth Chris, Morton's or Capital Grille, Chops is perhaps a slight notch below ( IMO) , BUT, a steak in those places ALONE is $35-45 with NO sides, no salad, no dessert, no nothing! Here you get a full 4-5 course meal ( appetizers , salad, entree, & dessert PLUS breads..) for $35..and don't forget the table by a window, soft lights & romantic ambiance...

6) My advice: Take your spouse for a special dining experience and leave the kids..they can live without you for 60-90 minutes- isn't your spouse worth it?? We have dined in Chops on various RCI ships 18 times..all have been worth it & marvelous!! Just MHO...

Big Al

Could see we maybe go if just us 2. But want to spend quality time with kids also, so still wondering if upgraded Specialty restaurants worth it for our family?

the only one who can answer that is YOU. they will often run specials..up to 30% off if you book more than one restaurant, or offer BYGO 1/2 price. we bought the package(1 each restaurant) and then ended up getting Chef''s table for half price at the end of the cruise.

but we also budget for Victoria and Alberts every time we go to Disney and that's $200 just for the pair of us...

we do find it is 'worth it' to spend the extra money.

Let me refine my earlier statement and put it this way. While the upcharge specialty places were good, I also thought the MDR was very good. I did not feel I was missing out by eating at MDR instead of going to a specialty place. The MDR offers a lot of variety and chances are you will have more hits than misses. You don't need to pre-book specialty, and sometimes onboard if it isn't selling well they will offer discounts or deals on specialty dining.

Now, if I found the upcharge food to be phenomenal and the service an absolute spectacle to enjoy, that's a different story. But I don't. It's like others have said, a notch or two better all around, and a much quieter atmosphere. When we don't go we don't cry over it.

The windjammer was mentioned above; you could always pocket that $150+ and kick back in a t-shirt and some shorts in the Jammer with a window view and a variety of good food. You'd be surprised how nice it can be to have dinner up there. I am not joking or saying that tongue in cheek.

All of that is to say, if you're just looking to have a good time with your family you can do it at any of the dining venues with a variety of good food and you're not going to feel like you missed out on something.

I have found MDR food to be average or boring at best...also WAAAYYY too busy & loud..dining with 1500 people is not my idea of romantic , nor a special night out...we don't go out much & spend $150-175 at Ruth Chris or Morton's anymore, so $35 PP for a 4-5 course meal with a table for 2 sometimes at a window over-looking the sea ( except on Oasis class) with soft music & low lights sounds pretty good to me...we both work very hard..on our vacation eating in the WJ ( which I agree is decent, but crude for dinner) or the MDR is not what I have in mind for a "special" dining experience...of the Top 10 meals I've ever had at sea on 29 cruises ( on all but Costa & MSC), all 10 have been in specialty venues, and all have been A to A+...food is subjective, of course, but I do not think Chops is like the Outback- crab cakes at Chops are phenomenal, potatoes with onions, esparagus with bernaise sauce is delicious, and let's face it, the Outback is like dining in the Magic Kingdom- waaayyy to busy and waaaayyy too noisy, even though I love their blumin' onion & food in general..

Big Al