Which insurance is considered best?

4x4TX

Booking carnivals insurance protection plan or doing your own plan? Just booked a 7 day out of Puerto Rico during august...figured with weather problems or who knows if any health issues may arise its probably best to go ahead and buy. I have never purchased before.

Looks like thru carnival Im looking at 79 x 4 to cover my family.

Booking carnivals insurance protection plan or doing your own plan? Just booked a 7 day out of Puerto Rico during august...figured with weather problems or who knows if any health issues may arise its probably best to go ahead and buy. I have never purchased before.

Generally, insurance through cruise lines is not the best. 3rd party insurance typically costs less and covers more.

Places like http://www.insuremytrip.com/ and https://www.squaremouth.com/, as well as http://tripinsurancestore.com/ are all insurance comparison sites. You put in the parameters of what you want covered (trip cancellation/interruption; baggage loss/delay; medical/evacuation, whatever) and they will show you several different policies from different companies that match your criteria.

You then compare the ones shown, and pick one that covers what you want covered.

I looked at what I wanted in insurance (for us it is mostly for medical evac ---which can cost a fortune in event of an accident ...and with 4 active young men--sons....they are always accidents waiting to happen, and cancellation coverage) then called Carnival asked their insurance people what it would cost me with Carnival. CCL insurance was double the cost so I went with an A+ rated company for less.

Not sure if this helps but I hope so.

Edited by momof4boys

We use tripinsurancestore.com and have always gotten very good advise from them on what plan/coverage to purchase.

If not sure what you need or should have, you could call them and see what they suggest.

Whatever you decide.....good luck!

I will definitely recommend the broker tripinsurancestore.com. Have insured four trips with them. They will give you very good advice, and guide you through the process of finding the best insurance plans for your needs. It's pretty complicated. You can also compare side by side online on the web site. We like the peace of mind of having pre existing conditions waived and cancel for any reason (CFAR), so we have to make the initial purchase within a certain time frame after deposit/first commitment of money for the cruise. We pick an insurer that allows us to pay the premium in increments, insuring more as we incur more trip costs, so less up front insurance costs. I have booked cruise line insurance when I first started cruising, but would never purchase cruise line insurance again. Third party offers much better coverage almost always, most times at better prices.

I will definitely recommend the broker tripinsurancestore.com. Have insured four trips with them. They will give you very good advice, and guide you through the process of finding the best insurance plans for your needs. It's pretty complicated. You can also compare side by side online on the web site. We like the peace of mind of having pre existing conditions waived and cancel for any reason (CFAR), so we have to make the initial purchase within a certain time frame after deposit/first commitment of money for the cruise. We pick an insurer that allows us to pay the premium in increments, insuring more as we incur more trip costs, so less up front insurance costs. I have booked cruise line insurance when I first started cruising, but would never purchase cruise line insurance again. Third party offers much better coverage almost always, most times at better prices.

I agree ...

The cruiseline insurance is generally more expensive than the third party policies, especially if you're younger; the cruiseline's medical coverage of $10,000 is IMO pretty minimal and their MedEvac coverage of $25,000 or $30,000 is IMO pretty marginal. However, the cruiseline policy DOES include "Cancel for Any REason" coverage (albeit a 75% future cruise CREDIT -and- does cover independently booked airfare with no added premium.

You should be able to get some higher coverages with 3rd party policies, several insurers include kids for free with insured adult, some policies include (or offer) cancellation coverage for things like unexpected extended school year. Most 3rd party policies include "waiver of pre-existing conditions" if you purchase w/in 14-21 days (depending which insurer) of booking your cruise.

If you're USAA member you can get some TravelInsured policies with some expanded coverages and at a slightly lower premium.

Don't forget to first check what Trip Insurance benefits might be included by your Credit Card and HomeOwner's Policy, and what out-of-country medical benefits your Health Insurance might include.

ken

Edited by Ken076

I fell and required over $3,000 medical care. In less than a month after submitting documentation, I received a check for the full amount of my medical costs.

Allianz is the secondary insurance company and I am sure they issued the check before hearing from my primary