Your thoughts on the Fantasy and/or Elation

scrapperluv

Hi all!

I'd like to book a cruise out of New Orleans or Charleston but that would mean booking the Fantasy or the Elation. We could do the Dream out of New Orleans but it looks like there are good deals for the Elation. I know they're older, but what does that really mean? We've been on the Breeze and that was the only cruise we've ever been on. It was AWESOME but I don't mind an older ship if it's still relaxing and has some of the newer features.

Also, it looks like I can't book a balcony on either of these. Does that mean they don't have ANY balconies? What's the deal...

Thanks so much in advance! I'd love to hear what you loved or hated about these!

We've been on the Elation and the Fantasy (2x) and actually love that size ship. To us it seems less crowded and hurried...however different people think differently.

There are more bars on the larger ships.......more bells and whistles on those big ships. Lots of balconies to choose from, too.

On the Fantasy class you have to book a suite to get a balcony.....Junior or Grand Suites. Because the cost of the smaller ships is usually much cheaper...we always book a Grand Suite. Early embarkation is only perk but love the size of the room, location, and the huge balcony.

We have been on 2 Conquest class ships (Conquest and Freedom) and still like the smaller size ships. We are booked on the DREAM in 3 weeks so we will really be able to compare then. We always enjoy ourselves but to us....the ship doesn't make or break our cruises......but can enhance them for sure.

We've been on the Elation and the Fantasy (2x) and actually love that size ship. To us it seems less crowded and hurried...however different people think differently.

There are more bars on the larger ships.......more bells and whistles on those big ships. Lots of balconies to choose from, too.

On the Fantasy class you have to book a suite to get a balcony.....Junior or Grand Suites. Because the cost of the smaller ships is usually much cheaper...we always book a Grand Suite. Early embarkation is only perk but love the size of the room, location, and the huge balcony.

We have been on 2 Conquest class ships (Conquest and Freedom) and still like the smaller size ships. We are booked on the DREAM in 3 weeks so we will really be able to compare then. We always enjoy ourselves but to us....the ship doesn't make or break our cruises......but can enhance them for sure.

That's great to hear! Do any of these cabins have an actual separate bedroom? I'd book a Grand Suite if I could put my kids in a room and close the door so my husband and I could stay up later!

Unfortunately there is not a separate room for the kids. :( The bed is a little bit off from the "couch area" but not really totally private.

Again...our very favorite ship is the Elation and we plan to book her again. My kids at the time we first booked were 11, 14, 18, and 21, and fell in love with cruising!! No matter what you decide....have a great time.

Unfortunately there is not a separate room for the kids. :( The bed is a little bit off from the "couch area" but not really totally private.

Again...our very favorite ship is the Elation and we plan to book her again. My kids at the time we first booked were 11, 14, 18, and 21, and fell in love with cruising!! No matter what you decide....have a great time.

Enjoy your cruise!

One way to visually compare ships is when they are in port almost side by side. Sure, the Fantasy and Elation are tiny compared to the behemoths, but their age shows too......lots of plastic, fake grass, palm trees etc., no balcony cabins. They are throwbacks to cruising earlier age.

If you enjoy 1950's auto's, you might like these ships.

Enjoy your cruise!

One way to visually compare ships is when they are in port almost side by side. Sure, the Fantasy and Elation are tiny compared to the behemoths, but their age shows too......lots of plastic, fake grass, palm trees etc., no balcony cabins. They are throwbacks to cruising earlier age.

If you enjoy 1950's auto's, you might like these ships.

Lol! Somehow an old, outdated ship doesn't sound as nice as a beautiful classic car!

We only sail on the Fantasy class (Fantasy 3 times and Fascination 1 time) and we absolutely LOVE it. Sure the Fantasy is an older ship, but she is very well maintained and we would strongly recommend her to anyone. It seems to be the perfect size for us. We never have had a period of time where we couldn't find something to do. We have sailed by ourselves (DH and me) and with our children (teenagers at the time) and have never been disappointed. The old city charm of Charleston can't be beat! It's just fantastic!

Good luck on whatever choice you make. Enjoy your cruise.

Have not sailed on Elation, but have sailed Fantasy. I would book a cruise on that ship again in a skinny minute!!! Yes, she is a little older, but VERY well maintained. There was always enough to do without being overwhelming. GREAT crew! Cannot say enough good things about this ship!

If I can answer any specific questions, please let me know!

Yes, I considered that! I've always wanted to see New Orleans but I hear Bourbon Street is definitely not for kids. Tempting, though!

Parts of Bourbon Street in the day time would be fine for kids.

And the French Quarter as a whole would be fine for kids.

I have been on Fantasy once and Elation six times.

So, after spending 30 days on Elation I have not seen any plastic or palm trees.

There is fake grass only in the mini-golf area.

Elation is actually very pretty.

The lobby is quite nice and the stained glass in the buffet dining area is beautiful at night.

If you are someone who equates new with clean, then perhaps new is best.

However, my house is as old as Elation.

I don't consider my house old or outdated.

And the US Navy has ships that are much older.

Edited by mzloolue

Hi all!

I'd like to book a cruise out of New Orleans or Charleston but that would mean booking the Fantasy or the Elation. We could do the Dream out of New Orleans but it looks like there are good deals for the Elation. I know they're older, but what does that really mean? We've been on the Breeze and that was the only cruise we've ever been on. It was AWESOME but I don't mind an older ship if it's still relaxing and has some of the newer features.

Also, it looks like I can't book a balcony on either of these. Does that mean they don't have ANY balconies? What's the deal...

Thanks so much in advance! I'd love to hear what you loved or hated about these!

FWIW, Elation is scheduled for dry dock later this year and may get some of the 2.0 upgrades. Carnival is pretty tight-lipped on dry docks these days, so exactly what Elation will get remains a mystery.

Carnival has blocked off 9/25 thru 10/9 for Elation to be in dry dock. Elation was listed on the original FunShip 2.0 implementation schedule, but that schedule was removed from Carnival's website and has not been followed exactly since then.

Love the fantasy class ships. By todays standard is a small ship but just as little as 10 years ago was considered to be very large. The Breeze is almost twice the size of Elation and Fantasy. Between Fantasy and Elation the fantasy has more upgrades that the Elation. More balconies were added a waterpark (sort of) flat screens tvs I believe. The elation is several years newer I believe 3. If I had to chose between the two I would go with what i felt was the better intinery.:rolleyes:

We've done all 3 ships and would do all 3 again without hesitation. Our choice would be based on itinerary, total cost (which would include driving distance) and then I would also factor in the dry dock schedule.

We took 2 of our children on Dream in Jan 2013 then on Fantasy last month. They liked both and really liked how they could disappear for awhile on Fantasy (ages 21 & 14, btw) but then easily find us. We couldn't do that on the Dream!

We've been on Fantasy twice and booked again on board last month. Staying in Charleston is always a highlight! We stayed on the Mount Pleasant side last month & had a wonderful time exploring the area (Sullivan's Island, Patriot's Point, etc.).

You can't go wrong no matter which you choose! Enjoy! :)

Edited by alleauna

Did the Fantasy out of Charleston last month. It may not be big but it sure was roomy. Never had a problem getting a chair at the pool or bars. It seemed the southern hospitality left Charleston and hopped on the ship. Easy to get in the hot tub during the day. Lots of conversing but not overbearing. In fact I'm torn between the Pride in Baltimore (4 hr drive) and Fantasy in Charleston (11 hr) next year. I booked an interior because it was a last minute decision when my tax refund came in, but we only slept in there.

I have only ever sailed on the Fantasy and the Elation, so I can't speak to how they compare to the newer, larger ships. However, I really enjoy both of these ships and have always had a great cruises on them! I don't think I'd want to cruise on a larger ship, because that just means more people. The major difference between the Fantasy and the Elation is that the Fantasy has the waterpark on the back of the ship and the Elation does not. I think you'll have a great cruise on either of these ships!

If you go on a 7 day cruise is there enough to do to keep you entertain? My other question is my DW wants to book suites but would you pay 2500 for the Fantasy or look for another ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi all!

We are booked on the Elation in October, which will be our second cruise. We took our first cruise on the Fascination in March and loved it. I decided for the family's first cruise to go with a smaller ship - see if we liked it, had enough to offer us, etc. It was perfect for us and as another posted, my kids (14&11) felt comfortable walking around without us, or meeting us somewhere bc it wasn't so overwhelming.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Forums mobile app

If you go on a 7 day cruise is there enough to do to keep you entertain? My other question is my DW wants to book suites but would you pay 2500 for the Fantasy or look for another ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One problem with Carnival Fantasy is the only way to get a balcony is to book a suite. To get a suite in the location we wanted it had to be a Grand Suite.

LuLu

I did Ecstacy and Elation (both Fantasy-class) and I preferred the Ecstacy.

The staff seemed friendlier, on the first.

Maybe an even more important thing, though...

Mongolian Wok, on Ecstacy, had the fatter, Chinese, noodles.

Mongolian Wok, on Elation, had the thinner, rice, noodles.

I know...important stuff.

JJ