What to leave out at St. Lucia

rlwnsgb

We are going to rent a car and make a day trip from our cruise ship around 8am and head south to Pitons and be back by 4pm. It is impossible to hit everything we'd like, so what do we leave off:

Marigot Bay

Anse Cochon

Diamond Botanical Garden

Sulphur Springs

Sugar Beach

Pitons

Anse Chastanet

We LOVE snorkeling, btw.

We are going to rent a car and make a day trip from our cruise ship around 8am and head south to Pitons and be back by 4pm. It is impossible to hit everything we'd like, so what do we leave off:

Marigot Bay

Anse Cochon

Diamond Botanical Garden

Sulphur Springs

Sugar Beach

Pitons

Anse Chastanet

We LOVE snorkeling, btw.

Leave off Anse Cochon, and Anse Chastenet. Anse Cochon is just a beach really, nice cove, but a bit of a drive off the main road - a visit to it will add around an our or more, especially if you snorkel there. Marigot Bay is a quick photo stop at the top of the bay area- 5-10 minutes top.

Anse Chastenet is another to consider leaving off - it will take 20+ minutes just to get to the resort area depending on the type of car you rent as the road is absolutely terrible (narrow, very steep in a few spots where it is only one car wide, and uneven in many spots as it's unpaved and rocky with lots of pot holes, etc)

A good day would be to pick up the car as soon as possible, head down to Soufriere with a quick photo stop for Marigot Bay, followed by a quick stop at La Plac Cassav between Anse La Raye and Canaries for some authentic cassava bread made old-school (can't miss it, it's the only thing on the road along the way), then come down into Soufriere. This drive is about 1.15 hours, give or take - it's a narrow winding mountain road, so be cautious.

Head out to Diamond Falls and Gardens and take a look around (about an hour or so), then come back into town and head up to the volcano and sulpher springs (another hour including drive time). During all this you will have had some great different views of the Pitons. After the volcano, head back into Soufriere and park at the waterfront beach area. By then you'll want some lunch - lots of local spots in the area: Skippers, Camille's, Big Yard, Petit Piton right on the waterfront, etc. Or, skip going back into Soufriere and instead from the volcano, head straight into Sugar Beach. Have lunch at he resort's beach front restaurant and go snorkeling at the beach. Then pack up by 2 and head back to the ship.

Keep in mind distances and roads. People very often underestimate both distance and roads and have to cut things out of their visit, especially when driving themselves as the roads are terrible, especially the West Coast road between Castries and Soufriere (narrow and mountainous) and places are not marked well. Note that we drive on the left w/right hand drive cars (British system). Often not advised to drive oneself when visiting by ship as the distances and roads can be a bit daunting and you can miss out on the wonderful scenery and sights and feel a bit rushed. For a very similar price, you can hire a driver to take you take you to the places you want to visit and have a built in tour guide also.

For your day (assuming ship leaves at 5, so you'll want to be back by 4), you can most likely fit Marigot Bay quick photo stop, visit to Diamond Falls/Garden, Volcano, (sulpher springs mud bath is at volcano and will add 30-1 hour to your time), and Sugar Beach for lunch and quick snorkeling.

Assuming you are off your ship and get your car right at 8, time would be: 25 minutes to photo stop for Marigot, another 1 hour down to Soufriere and Diamond falls, 45-1 hour at Diamond Falls, then 25 minutes over to Volcano, 30 minutes at volcano if you don't use the sulpher springs, 1 hour if you do. then another 20 minutes to Sugar Beach. Should be to SB by about 11/11:30. Lunch and some swimming/snorkeling and back in the car on your way back by 2/2:15 (only one road back and it can get congested with cruise passengers returning. 1.5 hours back to the ship - back by 4. Lots of driving for sure.

A one day rental will cost around $75-$100 plus insurance and temporary driving permit ($25 US). Do consider a car and driver instead. Would be about $200 for the day, and you can sit back and relax and enjoy the scenery and surroundings, with a built in tour guide. They will go where you want and when and wait for you in each stop. You can enjoy a beverage along the way, etc. Could be a better idea.

Good luck, hope you enjoy your visit!

Thanks for such a quick and detailed response. After writing to you, we stumbled upon scooter rentals. What are your thoughts on that? I thought they'd be easier to maneuver on the narrow roads and we might like the added adventure.

Thanks for such a quick and detailed response. After writing to you, we stumbled upon scooter rentals. What are your thoughts on that? I thought they'd be easier to maneuver on the narrow roads and we might like the added adventure.

My thoughts/opinions on that are an emphatic NO WAY! The drivers on our roads have little regard for each other, and even less for people on scooters or bikes. Not recommended. The roads are narrow and winding with a lot of blind corners, and no shoulders - driving on scooters where you have to be paying close attention to the vehicle, along with the road is simply not a good idea at all. If you do go that route, please be sure you have proper protective gear - long jeans/pants, decent footwear (preferably covering ankles), tough jacket (leather preferable) - just in case of accident. We have limited health care to deal with road rash or other injuries from bikes, would hate to hear that happened to you. It is nothing like Bermuda or Bahamas with reasonable drivers and road laws, straight and flat roads, etc. Not recommended at all. Besides which - you would miss out on all the spectacular scenery along the way, and be unable to talk to each other along the way - where's the fun in that?

Around the north of the island (port to the north, Rodney Bay or Pigeon Island) would maybe be OK as it's mostly flat and the roads are relatively decent. However down to Soufriere and the Pitons, etc - no way! You wouldn't catch me on one on this island - and I have a motorcycle license in the States along with 2 bikes there! Here- no way!!

Can't stop you of course, so if you choose to go that way, please take as many precautions - including protective clothing - as you can. Either way, enjoy your visit.

I want to thank you for your response. The fact that you ride bikes in the U.S. and are an experienced rider, yet wouldn't attempt it in St. Lucia spoke volumes. We are frustrated with St. Lucia as everything is so expensive. This may be the one port we just stay on the ship and hang by the pool.

Just got back on Sunday from Carnival Valor. Out of all the ports St. Lucia was our least favorite. I agree it is not the place to try and drive around additionally we were the only ship in port and traffic was a mess several different places. Not to mention the roads leave a lot to be desired. If I return to this port I will either stay on the ship or do a boat trip to the Pitons.

We did an 11 day land based vacation years ago in St. Lucia. This is one of the prettiest islands we have ever visited. I agreed that roads can be challenging to navigate and I would suggest getting a tour guide/cab driver to take you around the island. This island has so much to offer and you would be better served by having someone drive you around so you can focus on the sights. I would definately go back and do another land based vacation on this island!!