Princess' Skagway Zip Line - what company??

mringenoldus

I'm a bit baffled....Princess excursions are never less expensive that privately booked shore trips but Skagway zip lining with Princess appears to be a relative bargain.

Does anyone know what company is used in Skagway. I do know it's not Grizzly Falls. I need to decide between Princess ($99) and Grizzly ($159)

Thanks!!

Maureen

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are booked for Grizzly Falls. My sister, 45, did it last year and loved it! They are the only company that lets you do flips, ride upside down and they let you get more adventurous. The difference in price has to do with the amount of ziplines. From my research, Grizzly Falls has 11 zip lines with 750 feet as the longest one and 4 suspension bridges. Some of the lines goes directly over a waterfall. The other company in Skagway, Adventure Park & Ziplines, has only 5 lines with one of them short but they also have a raised balance beam, a suspension bridge and Burma loops to walk across. Grizzly Falls allows "ride-a-longs" for half price. So you would still get the tour to and from their location and the ride on the unimog plus you can take pictures from the ground at the beginning of the course. My sister told me that they are next to one of their other tours, so you can see some of the dogs at the mushers camp. Plus I just read on tripadvisor, that you can stop at a fudge store. Check out the reviews on tripadvisor for more info. Hope this helps.

Hi Maureen,

In Alaska, there isn't always a lot of savings on shore excursions compared to other locations. Sometimes what you get is a smaller group (whale watching with Princess has hundreds, private tours have 50 or less) or a guaranteed known/great tour operator. Or other examples is that flight seeing often includes a stop where you get out of the plane as opposed to with Princess you don't get that. Some tours are identical and Princess is cheaper. I think White Pass rail is around the same amount, the Lumberjack show was cheaper with Princess as they don't charge tax as opposed to walking up and buying tickets the day of or via their website. Alaska does seem unusual in that way.

Hopefully someone can answer your question as to who the vendor is. You may want to try the Alaska board also.

Have a great trip!

Theresa

Edited by Coral

My wife did a zipline Princess sponsored excursion in Juneau last week. Did you mean Juneau? If so, I can most likely get you their name. There were something like six people on the tour. They also did axe throwing on the tour.

Edited by TwoBadKnees

Nightowl11 - Thanks for the great information. Grizzly Falls gets great reviews - and if I wasn't planning on the expense of Juneau helimushing, I would have chose it. The Princess Skagway zip is only $99 which would help save a bit. Since my nephew can be a bit more timid than my grandson, less platforms may be OK with him.

Theresa - how great to hear from you!! You are right that Alaska excursions are not very competitive about pricing and can be quite expensive. I found a heli/sled dog company in Juneau with much better pricing that will pick up at the pier and has four times available the afternoon we arrive. Think I am going with them. Hope you and your mom are doing well and we end up on the same cruise again soon!

Twobadknees- Princess has a zip line tour in Skagway as well as Juneau. I think I might go with it to save a few bucks. Hopefully, it will be fine since I loath booking cruise line shore excursions :(

Thanks, everyone!

Maureen

Theresa - how great to hear from you!! You are right that Alaska excursions are not very competitive about pricing and can be quite expensive. I found a heli/sled dog company in Juneau with much better pricing that will pick up at the pier and has four times available the afternoon we arrive. Think I am going with them.

I wish I was getting back to Alaska this summer! Have a great time! Hope to see you on a cruise in the future. It has been forever since our Canada NE trip.