Baltic DIY Tips From Cruise

DanL

Since I received much help from this board I am passing on what we did & tips from our Eurodam 5/23-6/4 cruise.

CPH: Arrived 5/22 @~2pm (from GVA). Got DSB 24 hour city pass 80 DKK, used CC from ticket window. Previously got Calrson CC & with 50,000 bonus points booked Radisson Blu Royal Hotel (great location across from info office, train station and room overlooked Tivoli). Took bus 11A to canal boat at Holmen church. Walk Stroget after dinner. Friday - Rosenbourg & changing of guard before boarding. Took bus 26 to ship @ Oceankaj since still had time on 24 hour DSB card..

Tallinn: Did SPB tour. A no brainer for the $15 adder to St Pete tour.

SPB: Toured with SPB tours, 2 day highlights tour. Great tour & guide. Great lunch stop, Stolle pie shop. One of reasons I booked tour. Don’t miss it.

Helsinki: We did using the Hop-on Hop-off red bus available at the port. Great WiFi and a 5 E discount coupon in map they were handing out.

Stockholm: HAL changed dock 3 days before stop from buoy in Strommen Bay to Frihmanen so had to get a plan B. Got 24 hour SL pass & took bus 76 to Vasa then to old town & lunch then Icebar. Hist museum next day. Free on Fridays. Needed chip credit card second day to get ticket. Red HOHO bus was a tossup decision but no show on second day until 10am & long waits at stops reported by others. Also construction & marathon next day caused traffic problems. Original plan was to use HOHO boats if docked at Strommen (or Stadsgarden)

Warnemunde: Took the train to Schwerin then Wismar using a Mecklenburg Lander ticket, Euro 26 for 2 people, purchased online. Anni an Aussie expat has lots of info here http://www.travelanni.webs.com/. She also posts on this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...4#post37364914

Kiel: Took ferry to Laboe, toured Naval memorial & submarine. Walked around Kiel in afternoon after quick lunch on ship.

App recommendations: Accuweather, City maps2go, OSMAND+ and CE currency conversion app.

Used TD Bank ATM since no charge for withdrawals if have $2.5 K in account. We had 5 currencies to deal with not including Rubles. made about 10 ATM withdrawals.

Bring at least one chip & signature card or chip/pin. Mag stripe cards worked everywhere EXCEPT from machine in Stockholm.

Temps high from 84F to 45F so be prepared.

Took taxi from ship to airport. Try to share as it is expensive! Didn’t want to hassle bags on bus/train as we were both suffering from colds.

Thanks to Travel Anni, Danish Viking, Sinppu, Jonza & especially Desdichado62 who promptly answered my call for help when the dock changed in Stockholm.

Exhausting but wonderful cruise.

A couple more tips:

If you have an unlocked GSM phone, buy a preloaded Toggle SIM available on Ebay. Cheap calls from many countries even to US & a number that people can call you from USA. Used on 2 trips flawlessly.

Good Smorebrod at Kanal Cafeen, Fredericksholms Kanal, just around the corner from Danish National museum which is free entry.

Thanks DanL - great tips! I'll have to load some of the apps. Nice to know that some things still took mag strip CC's.

We also got a Radisson Carlson Club card. Used the points for Stockholm and different points for Copenhagen (staying at Mayfair there). Wish I had reversed the point usage because at the time of booking we could have had two nights in Copenhagen at 50000 points - it's now a 70000 hotel. Great card - looks like next year we will be able to have about 6 nights free for a land Poland (with the book one on points - get last night free). Know it's hoping for too much - but were you able to get a gold elite upgrade?

Know it's hoping for too much - but were you able to get a gold elite upgrade?

Yes got the Gold Elite upgrade & was treated VERY well at the Radisson Blu.

Points probably better for Europe than US but will have to see.

Don't use card out of US since there is a 3% FTF

Edited by DanL

Thanks for this report, really useful! Also looking at SPB for tour (2 day highlights not deluxe) but wondered about lunch as an option. What was the approx cost please, and what happened on day two? Many thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for this report, really useful! Also looking at SPB for tour (2 day highlights not deluxe) but wondered about lunch as an option. What was the approx cost please, and what happened on day two? Many thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Day 2 was per the posted itinerary on their website with souvenier shopping at end of day. Cost ~$14 US for 2 lunch without drinks. Needed to change to Rubles which guide did a stop.