Silver Shadow reviews

doxrok

You do get wine now. Once upon a time there was a $200 charge pp for Le Champagne and they poured special wines. Then they changed the policy to where you had to buy wine off the premium list. Now they've changed again to including the same wine as the main restaurant.

That is a welcome change. We went once when there was the $200 charge, and it was very excessive for what the charge provided. $40 sounds more reasonable, so I think out group will probably want to do that one night! :)

• 2 weeks later...

We took the last Alaska cruise of the season 3 years ago and it was terrific. Just remember to ask for what you want…although the crew is terrific, mind-reading is hard. I like ginger ale and sparkling water…butler never let it run out after I told him I liked that better than diet coke in the fridge. If you want cappuccino at breakfast instead of coffee, just ask. If you want a glass of champagne at tea, ask.

Amendment to above: do not ask for Perrier. They are an Italian line and serve Pelligrino. :roll eyes: oops.

I've also found that friendliness and politeness to all goes a long way. We heard too many complaining people on our Baltic cruise last year. "What do you mean the bus won't be here until 12:15. We were told 12:15." huh?

Melissa

We boarded yesterday after a wonderful Silversea sponsored pre-cruise, 4 day package to Denali. That was a fabulour trip to do before the Alaska cruise. We were lucky in that we were the rare ones who actually get to see Denali aka Mt. McKinley. We were that for a full day when there was perfect with no clouds, so she was in full view all day. After that excursion, we were happy to make the Seward Express train ride to travel to our port where we embarked the Silver Shadow. It was a treat to be back on the Silver Shadow. She is not the newest ship, but she is well maintained. Our suite was lovely as always, and our butler could not be more attentive! Our in suite bar is now stocked with Vodka and Champagne just in case we need some in an emergency when the bars are not open. Since the bars are always open, we will probably not even use the bar. Had a lovely, tasty first dinner in the MDR last night where the prime rib was prepared rare as I had requested. They served a lovely Pinot Grigio that went perfectly with what I had. Also had a bit of the red wine with my entree. I guess it was fine, but then I never drink red wine ;) On the way to Hubbard Glacier the seas have been a bit rough for some, but other than swaying a bit in the halls I don't notice. All in all, a wonderful start to the cruise.

We boarded yesterday after a wonderful Silversea sponsored pre-cruise, 4 day package to Denali. That was a fabulour trip to do before the Alaska cruise. We were lucky in that we were the rare ones who actually get to see Denali aka Mt. McKinley. We were that for a full day when there was perfect with no clouds, so she was in full view all day. After that excursion, we were happy to make the Seward Express train ride to travel to our port where we embarked the Silver Shadow. It was a treat to be back on the Silver Shadow. She is not the newest ship, but she is well maintained. Our suite was lovely as always, and our butler could not be more attentive! Our in suite bar is now stocked with Vodka and Champagne just in case we need some in an emergency when the bars are not open. Since the bars are always open, we will probably not even use the bar. Had a lovely, tasty first dinner in the MDR last night where the prime rib was prepared rare as I had requested. They served a lovely Pinot Grigio that went perfectly with what I had. Also had a bit of the red wine with my entree. I guess it was fine, but then I never drink red wine ;) On the way to Hubbard Glacier the seas have been a bit rough for some, but other than swaying a bit in the halls I don't notice. All in all, a wonderful start to the cruise.

Jane,

Thanks for your post. We are taking the pre-cruise excursion on the 24th. Can you tell me anything about the accommodations in the park. Does the lodge have a name that I could look up? Did you stay in your own cabin? Did it have a hair dryer? How was the cuisine? We are getting quite excited about our adventure. Are you doing the post rail trip on the Canadian Rocky Mountaineer? We are taking that post cruise trip as well and have had friends do it and they loved it. I would love to hear any details you could provide. Glad to hear you are enjoying Shadow :)

Edited by KaraokeQueen

Jane,

Thanks for your post. We are taking the pre-cruise excursion on the 24th. Can you tell me anything about the accommodations in the park. Does the lodge have a name that I could look up? Did you stay in your own cabin? Did it have a hair dryer? How was the cuisine? We are getting quite excited about our adventure. Are you doing the post rail trip on the Canadian Rocky Mountaineer? We are taking that post cruise trip as well and have had friends do it and they loved it. I would love to hear any details you could provide. Glad to hear you are enjoying Shadow :)

Just discovered SS had given me details for the lodge. Finally getting around to looking at materials :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by KaraokeQueen

Don't let the little things become a problem, life is to short. If you are looking to have a bad time you will. However any problem big or small can be fixed, just don't make that the biggest part of your trip. We had a bathroom flood, it was fixed and cleaned-didn't mess up are trip. We also got locked out on the deck once (don't ask how, I don't know), we waited till we finished our cocktail before we asked the people next door to call for help. Enjoy the good times, if those little problems are the worst things that happen to us in our life----that's good.

Rick

Don't let the little things become a problem, life is to short. If you are looking to have a bad time you will. However any problem big or small can be fixed, just don't make that the biggest part of your trip. We had a bathroom flood, it was fixed and cleaned-didn't mess up are trip. We also got locked out on the deck once (don't ask how, I don't know), we waited till we finished our cocktail before we asked the people next door to call for help. Enjoy the good times, if those little problems are the worst things that happen to us in our life----that's good.

Rick

Amen. You're my kind of guy Rick -- keep on keeping on -- life is good !!

Thanks to everyone for so many positive replies! We head off at the end of the month and are looking forward to it. I'm ready to relax and just absorb my surroundings. It will be quite a different experience for DH who was stationed in Alaska oh so many years ago...

• 1 month later...

DT.....if you spot a red, ripe tomato after boarding in San Francisco, please raise your hand. We had a no luck in finding one. And the salad dressing, might it be a bit on the watered down side? Do you enjoy ice cream? Really, there is no excuse for what they dish out. Check out the condensation on windows in observation lounge and around the ship.

Seriously, this cruise line is a joke in so many ways. And a pleasure at times. Still, I rate the passengers as their greatest asset.

I do enjoy lunches in MDR with a bottle of overpriced wine. Avoid for other meals. Lobster bisque served four nights of eleven.....the culinary highlight of the cruise....all en suite.

Perhaps I'll feel differently after my nap.

Don't understand all of the complaints. I had a large group on the Silver Shadow last month on an Alaska cruise. We had first time cruisers with Silversea and many repeat Silversea cruisers. To the person, everyone thoroughly enjoyed the lovely cruise. We all thought that the meals were delicious regardless of our diving venue. We mainly did meals in the MDR because it was such an enjoyable experience with delicious selections.

I feel that some people who complain so much on these boards about Silversea or a particular ship must simply enjoy complaining. I feel that is best to enjoy life and the wonderful opportunity that Silversea gives you to enjoy a week or more onboard one of their delightful ships!

One person I met had her first trip to a Subway restaurant just before our cruise and couldn't believe the poor quality of this junk, fast, food...

So funny, DW inspects Subway restaurants. Just considering our first SS cruise - stopped over to review some comments. Pros and cons - just like every other cruise line. I personally prefer the smaller ships, we'll see what the future brings... Jim