Inaugural Cruises - Did You Go?

gooselover

Curious about what people think about inaugural cruising. What drew you to going on one? What did you like or dislike, and would you do it again?

We have booked the inaugural TA cruise on Escape and have heard both sides. Thanks for the input!

Curious about what people think about inaugural cruising. What drew you to going on one? What did you like or dislike, and would you do it again?

We have booked the inaugural TA cruise on Escape and have heard both sides. Thanks for the input!

We did the crossing on the Jewel from Dover to NYC and it has to have been one of our very favorite cruises. Yes, there were a few snags that needed to be worked out, but the cruise line usually has the top of the line crew and everyone is so excited about the new ship. In our case, we did have to miss a port which was a huge disappointment to everyone and I think the captain could have handled it a little better. Also toward the end of the cruise some of the meals were not great. I ordered a steak, it was over cooked. I did ask to have another one, because I wanted it rare: it came out literally raw. There were a few things like that. But overall it was a wonderful and fun experience.

While not the crossing, we sailed the first Epic cruise out of Miami.

I don't remember anything negative. We got a free book about the ship and bought some shirts unique to that sailing.

In the Bahamas the port brought in a parade the marched alongside the ship welcoming it. Nothing different happened in the other ports.

I know the ships are presented plaques from the island welcoming them but it wasn't a public event that I remember.

Other than room keys not working when we got on we had no issues.

With these Transatlantics, don't put too much importance on them being inaugurals. No particular fuss is made about them, and the proper inaugural sailing is the first one out of its home port.

The main differences between these sailings and the usual transatlantics that NCL does are that there are usually no stops (at least for the last few sailings), and that things are new so there are likely to be some teething issues. The Epic apparently had a lot of issues, but the last couple had a lot less.

Personally, I only consider the new ships when considering a transatlantic, as I can only do one every few years, and it's nice to see a new ship. I loved the Breakaway TA and am really looking forward to the Escape.

Just go prepared to relax for 10 days without any port stops and you will have a great time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did the inaugural to Bermuda (not the T/A) on Breakaway. It was an absolutely amazing cruise and I was so happy to be part of it. The excitement was contagious throughout the entire week as we experienced all her beauty for the first time! I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Tracy

With these Transatlantics, don't put too much importance on them being inaugurals. No particular fuss is made about them, and the proper inaugural sailing is the first one out of its home port.

The main differences between these sailings and the usual transatlantics that NCL does are that there are usually no stops (at least for the last few sailings), and that things are new so there are likely to be some teething issues. The Epic apparently had a lot of issues, but the last couple had a lot less.

Personally, I only consider the new ships when considering a transatlantic, as I can only do one every few years, and it's nice to see a new ship. I loved the Breakaway TA and am really looking forward to the Escape.

Just go prepared to relax for 10 days without any port stops and you will have a great time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This. I have to admit we don't even mind the issues that may arise on an inaugural. They add to the experience. :D

I read my notes from the Epic recently and was cracking up at the various things that occurred. I do want to emphasize that nothing ruined our enjoyment of that cruise.

This. I have to admit we don't even mind the issues that may arise on an inaugural. They add to the experience. :D

I read my notes from the Epic recently and was cracking up at the various things that occurred. I do want to emphasize that nothing ruined our enjoyment of that cruise.

Personally, I`d love to do an inaugural cruise right after the TA, which, to me, is not really the inaugural since that is usually the first cruise from the Homeport, IIRC.

No matter though, love to do either, we will wait until after we do the TA on the Star. We may love it so much it will become our favourite mode of transport across the pond. :p