Passport Question

MrsChef

I believe if you have a copy of your marriage certificate you will be okay. It will only be an issue if you have to fly out of a foreign country unexpectedly. The photo on your passport should match your driver's license, as well as your birthday. The other question is when does it expire? Will you need to renew soon anyway? For me, I changed mine anyway because I wanted to travel under my husband's name & not my ex's :p Happy cruising!

100% correct. My DW has her old passport with her maiden name and her marriage certificate with her maiden name and her new name. With her Drivers license it shows continuity. Never have had an issue.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

As a minister, I often have couples who are going away on a honeymoon and run into this issue. After the ceremony, and before I return the licenses, I make an unofficial copy for the couple to take, just in case there are any questions.

Since you have some time, I would contact whatever office in your local jurisdiction that maintains vital records, and obtain from them a certified copy. Certified copies have the weight of legal evidence behind them.

Good Luck!

On travel where one needs a passport to travel (international flight, cruise that is not closed loop from US,etc.) you cannot use a marriage certificate plus a maiden name passport to travel with a new name.

On closed loop cruises, where a passport is not required, it is up to the agent in charge to decide whether to allow the passport in lieu of the BC as proof of citizenship. In those cases one also needs current proof of identity, usually a DL. If the cruise line is one which requires bridging documents then the marriage license may also be needed.

The better choice for any traveler is eliminate the question up front; either update the passport (which is technically required when you change your name but they don't make a stink about this if you don't) OR change the booking name to match the passport. Bringing attention to the fact that you are traveling on a passport that no longer represents your current legal name is just asking for trouble.

On travel where one needs a passport to travel (international flight, cruise that is not closed loop from US,etc.) you cannot use a marriage certificate plus a maiden name passport to travel with a new name.

On closed loop cruises, where a passport is not required, it is up to the agent in charge to decide whether to allow the passport in lieu of the BC as proof of citizenship. In those cases one also needs current proof of identity, usually a DL. If the cruise line is one which requires bridging documents then the marriage license may also be needed.

The better choice for any traveler is eliminate the question up front; either update the passport (which is technically required when you change your name but they don't make a stink about this if you don't) OR change the booking name to match the passport. Bringing attention to the fact that you are traveling on a passport that no longer represents your current legal name is just asking for trouble.

Many women don't change their name to their husband's when they get married, nor is there any requirement to do so.

Some women use different names for social versus business/professional purposes. Either name could be construed as a "legal" name.

The State Department's "requirement" to updated your passport isn't enforced because it's unenforceable and legally meaningless.

Edited by njhorseman

Many women don't change their name to their husband's when they get married, nor is there any requirement to do so.

Some women use different names for social versus business/professional purposes. Either name could be construed as a "legal" name.

The State Department's "requirement" to updated your passport isn't enforced because it's unenforceable and legally meaningless.

And I shouldn't have restricted my comments to a woman taking her husband's name. A man can take his wife's name...or they can use a different name such as a combination of the husband's and wife's name. For that matter with same sex marriages becoming increasingly common and legal, the same comments can be made in general about anyone taking or not taking their spouse's name.

This has less to do with choosing to keep/change a name upon marriage as it does with being consistent in using the post-marriage name. If one has to drag out a bunch of paperwork to 'update' the passport name it's much more likely to be questioned.

WE have been cruising since 1985 and didn't get passports until about 15 years ago. My birth certificate has my maiden name and I had to request a photo driver's license as NJ didn't have them then. I was never denied boarding or asked for our marriage license because of different last name. (NC now has a woman's maiden name on their license like a middle name!)

But, just have your name changed on your passport- especially if its good for another 9 years. Why hassle with out a new one?

Edited by Bonnie J.

This has less to do with choosing to keep/change a name upon marriage as it does with being consistent in using the post-marriage name. If one has to drag out a bunch of paperwork to 'update' the passport name it's much more likely to be questioned.

If you make your travel reservation in the name that's on your passport there's no additional paperwork that needs to be presented.