NCL Getaway Tips

Hey y'all! I will be cruising in September with my fiancé (will be my husband then!). This is my first cruise, so any tips and tricks would be helpful.

Right above the pool deck, there is a level of seats overlooking the pool. It's right above the Waves pool bar. There are (or were) six lounge chairs there. Grab those seats if you can. Best seats in the house, IMO!

Hey y'all! I will be cruising in September with my fiancé (will be my husband then!). This is my first cruise, so any tips and tricks would be helpful.

Hi. You will love this ship. We did. Here are a few things I learned while on the ship over spring break this April.

1. If you have an iPhone download the concierge app to everyone's phone before you leave home. I used this app a lot. It will have each days activities and times. It will allow you to book shows and dinner reservations. It also let us text among ourselves (7.95$) it's like having the dailies in your pocket.

2. If you get turned around in the hallway on the way to your room. Remember the fishes on the carpet always swim forward.

3. Save some of your on board expense money to try Carlos bakery and get some gelato too. It's usually quiet by these two places. So it's a good spot to sit.

4. If the pool deck is too loud and crazy go to the waterfront deck 8 and you'll find couches and chairs that are usually empty.

5. We enjoyed the movies in the atrium most days. They hand out popcorn and strawberry milk shakes while you watch the movie.

6. Don't forget to pack OTC meds. I needed an Advil one day and it was expensive.

7. Watch for spa specials. DH and I both got head to toe hot stone message with facials on special.

We ate at most of the specialty restaurants. All were good. If you have never had snails , it's a good time to try them at le Bistro. Also le Bistro has the best coffee on the ship! Be sure you dress for dinner at le Bistro. I had on Capri pants and they made me change.

Congrats on your upcoming nuptials!!

Edited by Briji04

Hi. You will love this ship. We did. Here are a few things I learned while on the ship over spring break this April.

1. If you have an iPhone download the concierge app to everyone's phone before you leave home. I used this app a lot. It will have each days activities and times. It will allow you to book shows and dinner reservations. It also let us text among ourselves (7.95$) it's like having the dailies in your pocket.

2. If you get turned around in the hallway on the way to your room. Remember the fishes on the carpet always swim forward.

3. Save some of your on board expense money to try Carlos bakery and get some gelato too. It's usually quiet by these two places. So it's a good spot to sit.

4. If the pool deck is too loud and crazy go to the waterfront deck 8 and you'll find couches and chairs that are usually empty.

5. We enjoyed the movies in the atrium most days. They hand out popcorn and strawberry milk shakes while you watch the movie.

6. Don't forget to pack OTC meds. I needed an Advil one day and it was expensive.

7. Watch for spa specials. DH and I both got head to toe hot stone message with facials on special.

We ate at most of the specialty restaurants. All were good. If you have never had snails , it's a good time to try them at le Bistro. Also le Bistro has the best coffee on the ship! Be sure you dress for dinner at le Bistro. I had on Capri pants and they made me change.

Congrats on your upcoming nuptials!!

is there a fee for the le bistro coffee?

This isnt a getaway specific tip, but if you are like us and have trouble having enough energy for all the events, but don't want to fill up on coffee, bring some caffeine pills. One pill equals a cup of coffee without the calories and you will save room for food and other drinks :)

is there a fee for the le bistro coffee?

This isnt a getaway specific tip, but if you are like us and have trouble having enough energy for all the events, but don't want to fill up on coffee, bring some caffeine pills. One pill equals a cup of coffee without the calories and you will save room for food and other drinks :)

Le Bistro, being a $20 pp extra charge specialty restaurant, the coffee is included with the meal. They use a coffee press to make a cup of it. I like the 4 mushroom soup there.

And...we enjoyed the Mojito bar, sitting either inside or outside. I really liked the jalapeno and cucumber mojito and the coconut/pineapple mojito. The open air grill/bar directly above the buffet, is a good place for additional food and no crowd.

Edited by roger001

Roger and I have identical tips! Definitely eat at the Flamingo Grill up on deck 16, it's good food and zero crowds. The mojito bar, Sugarcane, is amazing! I was totally hooked on the coconut pineapple mojitos, but the "Getaway from my Mojito" is good too. The couches there are really comfy and make for a nice place to "getaway" from the crowds and watch the waves.

Has anyone tried the ice bar? I know both of us are anxious to try it out ( ^^ she's MY bride to be)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The ice bar is $20pp and that includes two svedka vodka based drink (i think there may be some icewine if i remember correctly), its pretty cool to do once, and i think for your honeymoon you should give it a shot, make sure you take some photos in there!

Also i did the Breakaway for my honeymoon - after all the chaos of the wedding, we got Vibe passes and retreated there for the first two sea days, it was wonderful to unwind up there, well worth it if you're going to arrival early to the embarkation port.

The ice bar is $20pp and that includes two svedka vodka based drink (i think there may be some icewine if i remember correctly), its pretty cool to do once, and i think for your honeymoon you should give it a shot, make sure you take some photos in there!

Also i did the Breakaway for my honeymoon - after all the chaos of the wedding, we got Vibe passes and retreated there for the first two sea days, it was wonderful to unwind up there, well worth it if you're going to arrival early to the embarkation port.

I thought about the vibe passes, but we are in a haven suite so I'm banking on the haven area and spa to unwind. Well, that and a few buckets of beer.

Y'all see why I love him! "Banking on the Haven area and spa!" Woo hoo!

I am very interested to see the Ice Bar. I think it will be a neat experience, especially for the honeymoon, and like ggooglyboogly says, I think it would make for cool pics!

I thought about the vibe passes, but we are in a haven suite so I'm banking on the haven area and spa to unwind. Well, that and a few buckets of beer.

Oh yeah, you'll be fine in the Haven (the veal oscar they have there one night is one of my favorite foods) - I also happen to enjoy a few buckets of beer, I think we're on the same page, have a great honeymoon and good luck with the wedding.

Y'all see why I love him! "Banking on the Haven area and spa!" Woo hoo!

I am very interested to see the Ice Bar. I think it will be a neat experience, especially for the honeymoon, and like ggooglyboogly says, I think it would make for cool pics!

Sounds like y'all gonna have a great time with the Haven, etc. If you think you would like to watch some high energy, heavy percussion, super dancing, I recommend Burn the Floor. I was also going to recommend that if you want to eat in a specialty restaurant, that you book quickly. On the Getaway, they fill quickly. However......in the Haven, your concierge should be able to get you reservations regardless.

We did for the first time in one last week, on the Getaway. Atmosphere and service great. But I'm just not that much of a meat eater, in that available quantity. However, if you are, you would probably enjoy it.

Did anyone eat at the churrascaria? We have one here and we love it, just wondering if it is as good of an experience.

If you have a good one by you, you may be disappointed. We have a fabulous one we hit in NJ - the one on the ship is good, but it doesn't compare!

If you have a good one by you, you may be disappointed. We have a fabulous one we hit in NJ - the one on the ship is good, but it doesn't compare!

Where in Nj? I'm from Jackson.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Check out my review on here. Hope it helps. I'm on my phone now and don't have the link handy, but if you search my posts you should find it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Mitsugirly, Thank you for the review! Even though you had a lot going on, you still made the best of it, and managed to have a good time. I like you am a breakfast eater, so I enjoyed seeing the different options. Also, I loved the pictures so we are going to look into buying the Olympus Tough for an underwater camera.

Edited by thefuturemrsc
Add name