Help with Hawaii itinerary

cos24

1st timer (and maybe only time)- Cruise stops include: Hilo, Kona, Lahaina (Maui), and Kauai. Not sure if I should research tours with locals or rent a car at each port and use a guide book. Anyone with experience in this area or is aware of 1 day suggested itineraries for DIY for these ports, please let me know.

There is all sorts of experience just down the board if you look. As we don't know what interests you, and when you are going (both important pieces of info), some research, and then a few more focused questions would help us help you.

Hawaii is a very easy place to drive and explore on your own, and rental cars are reasonably priced.

Suggest looking at excursions offered by the cruise line ... that will give you an idea of what you can accomplish in a day. Pick ones that look interesting to you and then work out the logistics for DIY. And as Bruce mentions, if you have more specific questions after narrowing down your choices, be sure to come back with more questions.

In Kona we rented a car from the King Kam hotel next to the tender dock. As with all Hawaii rental cars, book ahead.

In Hilo we rent a car to go up to the VNP and other places.

We like to have a car to go where and when we want and not wait for people who are late getting back to the bus.

Thank you all, I am booking a car rental in the ports. My only concern I with the traffic in Honolulu tht I have read about. If I want to drive around for about 3 hours or so what time of day would be best?

The Hawaii Cheat Sheet thread will provide a great starting point for you. Right now it's at the bottom of the page on the Hawaii board, but that could change. If you don't see it, use the search feature in the top right corner.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is something to think about before booking any tours on your own. We have been to Hawaii twice cruising and twice there were schedule changes both times. The first schedule change was due to a medical evacuation. At the time it work out to the advantage of the cruise passengers who missed out on Fanning Island but got an extra day in Maui. The second cruise the seas were too high to go into Hilo so we were sent to Kona. Passengers in this case who had independent tours on the big Island lost their deposits. I also remember a passenger who booked a rental car so he could drive to his helicopter tour in Hilo only to find out at the rental car agency the tour was 400 feet away...... no use for the rental car. Just a heads up and do your homework. Enjoy that cruise. Tim