Good beach with good snorkling for cheap?

tomcatguy74

Hey all,

We will be in Coz on the 29th of July and we are looking for a decent sandy beach with good snorkling but for a cheap price or even free.

Just trying to spread out the cash for the 4 ports we are going to and not spend the prices on the ship and off.

Any ideas?

Hey all,

We will be in Coz on the 29th of July and we are looking for a decent sandy beach with good snorkling but for a cheap price or even free.

Just trying to spread out the cash for the 4 ports we are going to and not spend the prices on the ship and off.

Any ideas?

Playa Palancar is free to use beach. They are however, a $20 taxi ride each way (up to 4 people) from town. I have seen people snorkeling there but have never done it myself. You might look them up on the internet and see if they have more info.

Hey all,

Any ideas?

Playa Uvas has beach, snorkeling tour with equipment rental and one free drink for $12. Its a $16 cab ride for four. We loved it.

from what i have been reading sandy beach and good snorkling are 2 differant things.

We are just going to take a taxi to the Money bar, Good snorkling, food and drinks. wife can relax in a beach chair and i can snorkle around.

this is the last of 3 ports so this will be just a relax day for us.

My 02

michael

You might want to look at Chakanaab. I believe the cab ride is ~$20/4, and the entrance fee is ~$20pp. Here are some snorkel pictures from our trip last year...

8Utd0HWzO9ORa0clK3r_tRAgrb638WyKq-E9mKrdFzc=w1550-h871-no

P1050007.JPG

P1050027.JPG

However, the snorkling area is reached via metal steps, not directly from the beach...

P1050058.JPG

Sand and snorkeling do not go together well. You need rocks or coral to hold fish. For cheap, decent snorkeling from shore I would pick the Money Bar or Playa Corona. Playa Uvas is pretty good but runs a little more money, plus the beach is small. Uvas has the sandiest beach of the three. One of our favorite spots is Chankanaab Park. It is also the most costly. CP has a man-made beach on a rocky shoreline so they have the fish. Playa Palancar snorkeling is not much from shore, but they offer a boat trip to the reef that is pretty good. I think that it was $35 when we were there several years ago,

I agree with others that good beach + good snorkeling just don't go together. It's the rocky shore that attracts the fish.

If you want an inexpensive day, I highly recommend Money Bar. There is a sandy area, if you want to dig your feet into the sand and lay out. The snorkeling is excellent. There is no purchase requirement to use their free chairs (please buy something- it's rude otherwise). The bathrooms are clean. The food and drinks are reasonably priced and excellent. Cab ride should be about $9 for up to 4, each way.

I agree Chankanaab also has excellent snorkeling. But a $21 pp entry fee is not inexpensive to me.

Do you have your own snorkel gear? If you do, snorkeling is free anywhere. There are entrance fees at some places, but the free beaches/shorelines have free snorkeling. You don't have to pay to go into the water. We have our own gear and it's paid for itself 30 times over. For light snorkeling, we take our mask and snorkels and if we are planning on doing a longer snorkel, we will bring our packable short fins as well. Well worth it to us.

If you have your own gear, MoneyBar is your best bet for a good "deal".

We snorkeled at Money bar last Sept. And Chankanaab 3 weeks ago. Although we liked Money Bar the snorkeling was not as good. Also, the current at Money Bar is stronger and there are boats that bring people up to the pier on a regular basis. They don't watch out for snorkelers.

If we go back to Cozumel to snorkel, we will likely go Chank again, even with the admission price.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I would probably be the only one snorkeling unless my kids get brave but my wife goes for the beach part. Mostly a beach that has sand all the way to the water. She doesn't like rocks much. So I am trying to find a place with a nice beach for her and snorkeling for my kids and I. Clean restrooms are a must though.

Yes we do have our own gear.

I told my wife that Cozumel is basically one big coral reef in which a town is built on. We may try Chunky. Pasion island is perfect but too expensive and my wife won't like the ride there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I would probably be the only one snorkeling unless my kids get brave but my wife goes for the beach part. Mostly a beach that has sand all the way to the water. She doesn't like rocks much. So I am trying to find a place with a nice beach for her and snorkeling for my kids and I. Clean restrooms are a must though.

Yes we do have our own gear.

I told my wife that Cozumel is basically one big coral reef in which a town is built on. We may try Chunky. Pasion island is perfect but too expensive and my wife won't like the ride there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With you the only one snorkeling, I would recommend Chankanaab. There's so much else for others to do there with a small lagoon for swimming and the sea lion show. Very clean. There's also kayaks you can use but DD's didn't because storm was rolling through every hour.

Hey all,

Any ideas?

None of the sandy beaches, Nachi, Mr. Sanchos, Playa Mia, etc.. have any good shore snorkeling.

They all offer snorkel excursions from the beach, by boat, to the nearby reefs, for like $25-$30, if you are the only snorkeler.

The two rockier spots, closer to the piers, Chankanaab Park and the Money Bar have the better snorkeling with the rockier shore.

(Chankanaab does have a sandy beach also, besides the rocky snorkle area.)

Bill

DoesChankanaab's day pass include food? And do they take cash only or credit cards?

I don't believe the day pass includes food, but there is food available. DW & I ate at the snack bar next to the dolphin swim, and I think we paid cash. There's also a restaurant on site.