Don't forget to pack this... black light stain detector!

Kstofflet

On embarkation day we found fresh blood stains on the sheets. I assumed that the room steward may have cut his cuticle or finger and that is how it got on the sheets. My Husband said it appeared as if someone may have scratched a scab or a bug bite on their body and that is how blood transferred onto the sheets. We did get grossed out but no the less my husband called guest services and asked to get fresh sheets. It was taken care of and we didn't have any other issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow, it looks like this happens more often than not. I assumed it was just a very lazy room steward on the Breeze last week as there were multiple folks on our floor within the general area that had the same issue of soiled sheets upon embarkation.

I personally do not own a black light, but did look them up on Amazon. I might buy one just to test my own home as others suggest. If anything, it will amp up my own cleaning techniques. However, if I know the sheets are soiled then I surely change them immediately. Also, I will quote best western ... "Starting this year (2012), Best Western housekeepers will be equipped with ultraviolet sterilization wands to use on highly touched areas such as telephones, bathroom fixtures, bedding and light switches. UV black lights will be used during housekeeping inspections to detect biological matter and other particles, the chain said." This is definitely not a top tier chain, yet they are trying to be on top of it.

Edited by Kstofflet

I don't know if any of you remember a poster who used to be on Cruise Critic. She claimed she was a cop and always bought a black light with her. She would use it in her cabin, photograph the results and post the pictures here on CC.

Her motive was to stir up trouble and she always wanted compensation from the cruise lines.

She was banned from cruising at least one line (Royal Caribbean) and her name is probably on a list somewhere for other lines.

I am definitely not trying to stir up trouble. I just want you all to know some of the housekeeping staff do cut corners from time to time. It pays to check the linens before getting into bed. ALWAYS. The soiled sheets were very visible. It looked like the prior cruiser could have been a female on her menses. It was disgusting. I did not ask for compensation. I did not report this to guest services. All we did was track down the room steward to bring it to their attention. We did not make a scene. We just calmly asked if he could replace the sheets. I then learned that others on deck 2 with odd numbered staterooms in our area also had the same issue upon embarkation. Which raises a RED FLAG

Edited by Kstofflet

Wow, it looks like this happens more often than not. I assumed it was just a very lazy room steward on the Breeze last week as there were multiple folks on our floor within the general area that had the same issue of soiled sheets upon embarkation.

I personally do not own a black light, but did look them up on Amazon. I might buy one just to test my own home as others suggest. If anything, it will amp up my own cleaning techniques. However, if I know the sheets are soiled then I surely change them immediately. Also, I will quote best western ... "Starting this year (2012), Best Western housekeepers will be equipped with ultraviolet sterilization wands to use on highly touched areas such as telephones, bathroom fixtures, bedding and light switches. UV black lights will be used during housekeeping inspections to detect biological matter and other particles, the chain said." This is definitely not a top tier chain, yet they are trying to be on top of it.

There millions of cruisers every year. A few people posting on this thread does not constitute dirty sheets happening "more often than not." I have been on 5 cruises and have never had an issue.

It's quite possible that the room steward cut his finger and did not realize it. That has happened to me on many occasions.

Actually, I think the OP should use the black light in their own house and see what exactly they are living with at home. I think they might be VERY surprised!

I looked them up on Amazon and I placed an order. It will be a great way to see if my son's room is up to par! This should be fun

There millions of cruisers every year. A few people posting on this thread does not constitute dirty sheets happening "more often than not." I have been on 5 cruises and have never had an issue.

It's quite possible that the room steward cut his finger and did not realize it. That has happened to me on many occasions.

and I quote "That has happened to me on many occasions."

and I quote "That has happened to me on many occasions."

LOL...I phrased that poorly. Very poorly.

I cut my finger without realizing it all the time when I'm at home / work / etc and find that I left blood on something.

Edit: Grrrr I can't edit that post of mine.

Edited by CruisinKibble

We just got back from the Breeze (6/1 to 6/6) sailing to Key West, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I won't go into a full review as there are PLENTY of phenomenal reviews

available with a complete photo journey of the ship and this itinerary. Gambee has a great one out there. However, I do want to mention that on day 1, when we arrived at our

stateroom (2281) the room steward was caught off guard when we entered the room and told us he was not ready for us. We asked if it was ok for us to place our carry ons in

the room and that we would come back. He agreed. We are platinum with Carnival and one of the perks is we can enter the room upon boarding the ship ... similar to FTTF,

hence why we came to the room early. Therefore, we left to give him more time by grabbing lunch on the lido deck. We came back at 1:30. The room looked made up.

However there was still debri on the floor (a left over cigar butt, some candy wrappers, and paper). We left again and came back at 2:30. The room looked "done". Our

luggage arrived and as we placed them on the bed to unpack I noticed that the sheets were really soiled. It looked like blood. However, in my mind I believe it was the

chocolate candy. Let's just go with that. At that time I freaked out and told my husband that this is completely unacceptable. I was ready to head to make a formal complaint,

but my husband went and hunted down the room steward. He changed the sheets... so we think. Our roll call for this cruise also has Facebook page. I placed this on the page

as a wrap up to cruise along with our over all impressions. One of my fellow cruise mates ALSO stated that they had soiled sheets and had what looked like fresh BLOOD

stains on their sheets on day one. And their cabin was just three doors down from ours. So going forward, I will invest in a battery operated black light stain detector and will

make it very visible.

One does not need a black light to detect blood or chocolate (the topics of this post), nor stains on sheets produced by most bodily fluids. Housekeeping lapses are not resolved with black lights. The sheets were changed. Immediate problem solved. Systemic problems, if they exist, are a separate topic.

I am definitely not trying to stir up trouble. I just want you all to know some of the housekeeping staff do cut corners from time to time. It pays to check the linens before getting into bed. ALWAYS. The soiled sheets were very visible. It looked like the prior cruiser could have been a female on her menses. It was disgusting. I did not ask for compensation. I did not report this to guest services. All we did was track down the room steward to bring it to their attention. We did not make a scene. We just calmly asked if he could replace the sheets. I then learned that others on deck 2 with odd numbered staterooms in our area also had the same issue upon embarkation. Which raises a RED FLAG

So all the odd numbered staterooms and women at that time of the month leaving stains at the same time? How did soiled sheets even come up with all those cabins occupants? Seems like people like to exaggerate a situation to make it seem like a big deal.

So all the odd numbered staterooms and women at that time of the month leaving stains at the same time? How did soiled sheets even come up with all those cabins occupants? Seems like people like to exaggerate a situation to make it seem like a big deal.

Bingomama19 - this came up because those folks were on the same cruise. Imagine that?

...And folks were also part of the the same roll call. Wow.

...And nowadays, rolls calls have Facebook pages. Who knew.

...And it was reported as a wrap up on the Facebook roll call page.

PERIOD. Interesting choice of a word

There was no exaggeration. Its amazing that when someone reports something slightly negative about their experience on Carnival, folks on here tend to want to slam them.

Edited by Kstofflet

LOL...I phrased that poorly. Very poorly.

I cut my finger without realizing it all the time when I'm at home / work / etc and find that I left blood on something.

Edit: Grrrr I can't edit that post of mine.

you are a good sport.

I am definitely not trying to stir up trouble.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were trying to cause trouble. Your post topic just reminded me of that particular poster and her over the top reviews and pictures.

There are posters that live on in CC lore such as the black light police officer, the swinger with her chain link dress and another poster who posted semi nude pictures of herself sunbathing on board ship(she was banned from CC).

Bingomama19 - this came up because those folks were on the same cruise. Imagine that?

...And folks were also part of the the same roll call. Wow.

...And nowadays, rolls calls have Facebook pages. Who knew.

...And it was reported as a wrap up on the Facebook roll call page.

PERIOD. Interesting choice of a word

There was no exaggeration. Its amazing that when someone reports something slightly negative about their experience on Carnival, folks on here tend to want to slam them.

Ok, so your roll call were all on your floor, in the odd number rooms and had previous occupants who were at that time of the month? And you all just happened to bring it up?

Funny how your orginal post said your room and maybe one other had a problem with soiled sheets, now its all the odd number rooms on your floor and they were all occupied by roll call members. Usually roll calls are made up of randome people that just happened to be going on the same cruise--how did so many of you end up in the odd numbered cabins on your floor?

Makes sense to me that the poor steward..exhausted..got a finger cut or had a nosebleed etc. , or had a chocolate to keep going and it was melty...makes sense it was every other room..or followed some pattern..that could be it...

I understand Op's distress however..waiting for room and not good still second time around.

At any rate yes..change the sheets..i have found that clean..very clean xtra washed hotel smell..and better feel sheet and comforter feeling..on Carnival and the duvet cover and sheets always look well washed. Much we just have to fix and look over lightly..use common sense or maybe a quick clorox wipe down on many things when we enter room.

Working/visiting in a hospital..the protocol is something and people seemed to come in and do floors often even with both my folks in ICU and their pacemakers 2 years ago..they used some wet/dry "slippery and smelly" stuff for a minute...or two and then gone ..trying to keep track in germs to a minimum yet allow family in as they can as much as they can...

I would have NEVER had the precious time with my mom without that....sooo grateful.

Mom's rehab place, when we thought she would recover was not clean enough..there was no other choice at time..shared half/bath..inbetween rooms..sigh..

Pick your battles and then I sooo agree...we just don't want to know all the germs we fight all the time..we are just living organisms in an imperfect world...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Ok, so your roll call were all on your floor, in the odd number rooms and had previous occupants who were at that time of the month? And you all just happened to bring it up?

Funny how your orginal post said your room and maybe one other had a problem with soiled sheets, now its all the odd number rooms on your floor and they were all occupied by roll call members. Usually roll calls are made up of randome people that just happened to be going on the same cruise--how did so many of you end up in the odd numbered cabins on your floor?

I read no where that the OP said that all the previous occupants were at that time of the month. Read the post, she is just stating that there were several that had SOILED sheets...Big possiblilty if they were all near each other and had the same steward. Why the need to badger and argue the situation with her?

I looked them up on Amazon and I placed an order. It will be a great way to see if my son's room is up to par! This should be fun

maybe you should use it on your own room first before using on your sons room

Before you use the black light test on your room, use it on your luggage. Lots of ill things will show up there, and check your own cloths. You will see things you never expected.......World of germs

odd number cabins are on the starboard side of the ship, while even numbered cabins are in the port side. Unbeknownst to me, a roll call member was in the cabin next door (2283) and her daughter had cabin (2287). Cabin 2287 also had soiled sheets upon embarkation. - This was definitely random as I did not know we were in the same roll call until she posted on our Facebook site after returning from the cruise

Nope, don't really buy this story. Interesting conversation though.

Just for you, this story is free - Also, interestingly NOW multiple folks on our cruise are complaining of stomach virus issues. However, we only got soiled sheets. Some are still complaining they are very ill along with fever. A few a pointing to Jimmy C's BBQ as the pork was not fully cooked. It sounds like I got the MUCH better deal as we had no stomach related concerns.

Just for you, this story is free - Also, interestingly NOW multiple folks on our cruise are complaining of stomach virus issues. However, we only got soiled sheets. Some are still complaining they are very ill along with fever. A few a pointing to Jimmy C's BBQ as the pork was not fully cooked. It sounds like I got the MUCH better deal as we had no stomach related concerns.

It's free ? This must just be my lucky day, how much did everyone else pay for that story ?