How rough is the sea on Boston RT?

I am considering taking my Mom on a fall Canada/New England cruise. The itinerary is Boston, Halifax, Saint John, Bar Harbor, Portland, Boston. I have only sailed the Alaska inside passage, Vancouver RT, which was largely protected waters and very calm. How rough is the Atlantic on this route and how much will the ship (RC Brilliance) pitch and roll? My Mom gets vertigo and I am concerned that a really rough ride might set it off.

Thanks.

Vicki

Hi,

Many people sailing from Boston or NYC are "scared" of the sea condition in the Atlantic.

Yes it can be rough...and it can be smooth as glass...

You can read about it for hours here on CC and the conclusion will be... "it's hit or miss". No one can predict it. Of course the early fall season is the end of the Hurricane season and often the tail of a major Atlantic hurricane can hit the East end of Canada and New England...

The itinerary does not pull you out very far in the vast ocean...the ship stays pretty close to the shore...

I know this does not answer or reassure you in any way, but it is what it is :(

Have fun,

Vicki:

Being prone to vertigo in certain situations does not necessarily mean that one will have a motion-sickness problem. I get vertigo when I move in certain ways -- a result of a concussion several years ago. However, I have not suffered from motion sickness in ships, boats or aeroplanes either before or after the injury, despite having been in some moderately rough situations. This provides no assurance about your mother's susceptibility, but does suggest that there isn't always a direct link.

John

Difficult to predict. We have done a couple cruises in that area and on both we experienced one day or night that was rough, entering/exiting the St Lawrence, otherwise a beautiful trip!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 3 weeks later...

I have done two Canada/New England cruises. For a total of 3 weeks only one evening was rough enough for me to take sea sickness medication (I am prone to sea sickness). This year, for my back to back cruise, 14 days total, the sea was very calm with only one night of slight rocking. It is a very nice region to visit.