A Day in Ft. Lauderdale

tarheelmjfan

My sister & niece are flying into Ft. Lauderdale for a cruise out of POM. We live between the 2 cities, but are fairly new to the area. Their plan is to take the shuttle back to FLL after disembarkation hoping to leave their luggage. We'll pick them up there & spend the day with them, before their 6:30 pm flight out. I need suggestions for an attraction & restaurant in the area. High impact activities are out. Both my sister & I have health issues. Also, they don't want to go to the beach. For a restaurant, we're looking for a non-chain. If I don't come up with a better option, I'll take them to Gulfstream Village &/or Aventura Mall, which are very close to where I live. I'd rather take them somewhere in Ft. Lauderdale, if there's a better option though. That would be safer considering they need to catch their flight. Thanks in advance for the help. :)

They won't be able to check their luggage that early before the flights. They can either use luggage storage at FLL or use your trunk. Las Olas Blvd is pretty close to the airport and is a lovely place to spend the day dining and shopping boutiques.

They won't be able to check their luggage that early before the flights. They can either use luggage storage at FLL or use your trunk. Las Olas Blvd is pretty close to the airport and is a lovely place to spend the day dining and shopping boutiques.

I think they're planning to store their luggage. Thanks for the Las Olas Blvd. suggestion. I'll have to look into it more. We've been by there & didn't see that much to do. We must have missed a lot of it.

I think they're planning to store their luggage. Thanks for the Las Olas Blvd. suggestion. I'll have to look into it more. We've been by there & didn't see that much to do. We must have missed a lot of it.

There is a ton to do on Las Olas. Water taxi, IMAX, Museum, shopping, dining, etc. What are you looking for?

There is a ton to do on Las Olas. Water taxi, IMAX, Museum, shopping, dining, etc. What are you looking for?

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. :o My sister said anything was fine with them. That makes it hard to plan for. I'm open to any suggestions.

Certainly we have enjoyed our time on the Water Taxi, we have done it a couple of times.

This may be a dumb question, but do you think they'd enjoy the water taxi after being on a cruise ship for a week? What did you see from it?

If you don't find downtown Fort Lauderdale of interest, and don't want to go to the beach, then I have no idea what to suggest. If you think a mall would be more interesting, the closest mall is Galleria.

If you don't find downtown Fort Lauderdale of interest, and don't want to go to the beach, then I have no idea what to suggest. If you think a mall would be more interesting, the closest mall is Galleria.

We only drove Las Olas Blvd. There's obviously much more than what you see on that street. I'm going to ask, if they want to go there. It works for me, but it's their vacation. They'll probably be fine with it. Do you have a downtown restaurant recommendation? Thanks again for your help.

We only drove Las Olas Blvd. There's obviously much more than what you see on that street. I'm going to ask, if they want to go there. It works for me, but it's their vacation. They'll probably be fine with it. Do you have a downtown restaurant recommendation? Thanks again for your help.

YOLO

Lobster Bar

Royal Pig

Timpanos

401 Grill

Cheesecake Factory

Big City Tavern

Cheese Culture

Sweet Nectare

Roccos Tacos

Also, the name is either Meatball Kitchen (the sign is now on the building) or Fork & Balls (what has been in the media) is opening in a couple of weeks and is being opened by the same people who have YOLO, S3, and Tarpon Bend. Since I really like all three of those, I cannot imagine it will not be really good.

YOLO

Lobster Bar

Royal Pig

Timpanos

401 Grill

Cheesecake Factory

Big City Tavern

Cheese Culture

Sweet Nectare

Roccos Tacos

Also, the name is either Meatball Kitchen (the sign is now on the building) or Fork & Balls (what has been in the media) is opening in a couple of weeks and is being opened by the same people who have YOLO, S3, and Tarpon Bend. Since I really like all three of those, I cannot imagine it will not be really good.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into them.

This may be a dumb question, but do you think they'd enjoy the water taxi after being on a cruise ship for a week? What did you see from it?

Yes, I would think so. You can purchase a day pass which is quite economical and get on and off at the various stops. Here is a link to their website which has maps and alike.

http://www.watertaxi.com/watertaxi/fort-lauderdale/

• 2 weeks later...
Some good lunch spots on Las Olas:

Noodles Panini

Le Bonne Crepe

Big City Tavern

Yolo

There are about a dozen that we haven't even mentioned, but these are my recommendations.

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions. I'm going to check out these along with BlueHerons' suggestions. I'm still waiting for them to get back to me with a price range.

Yes, I would think so. You can purchase a day pass which is quite economical and get on and off at the various stops. Here is a link to their website which has maps and alike.

http://www.watertaxi.com/watertaxi/fort-lauderdale/

Thanks for the info & link.

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions. I'm going to check out these along with BlueHerons' suggestions. I'm still waiting for them to get back to me with a price range.

Thanks for the info & link.

Las Olas can be expensive. I just had lunch at Café Europa and just for me, for two glasses of wine and a chef salad, including tax and tip, it was $45.

That is ridiculous.

FWIW, Fork & Balls opens tomorrow. I'll be back with a mini review.

Edited by BlueHerons

Las Olas can be expensive. I just had lunch at Café Europa and just for me, for two glasses of wine and a chef salad, including tax and tip, it was $45.

That is ridiculous.

FWIW, Fork & Balls opens tomorrow. I'll be back with a mini review.

That is expensive. Hope they wine was good. :D I'll be looking forward to your review.