Port Liberty, Bayonne NJ - Disembarkation Question

My family and I are considering having someone drop us off at the port for our upcoming cruise on the EOS. We made this trip once before and left our car there. My question is, how does it work when you disembark? This will be a family member who might bring us to port, so how would they know when to arrive to pick us up? Is there someplace they can park their car and wait if they arrive before we get off the ship? Do we call them when we get off the ship, then wait for them to arrive? How would this work needing a ride home?

My family and I are considering having someone drop us off at the port for our upcoming cruise on the EOS. We made this trip once before and left our car there. My question is, how does it work when you disembark? This will be a family member who might bring us to port, so how would they know when to arrive to pick us up? Is there someplace they can park their car and wait if they arrive before we get off the ship? Do we call them when we get off the ship, then wait for them to arrive? How would this work needing a ride home?

Hello Cruizin Tigers,

Your friend won't have any problem picking you up at all. If you're booked in a suite you will be off of the ship by 9:00 am. The rest of the cabins will debark in time increments between 9:30 and 10:30 am.

You can email your family member a night or two before you return once you receive your debark luggage tags and ascertain what time you will be off of the ship.

The ship arrives at around 7 am so you can call as well. Our debark station at Cape Liberty was #15. Simply look for the number and tell your friend to pick you up there. It's very simple and efficient, you will not have a problem.

Have a great cruise aboard Explorer.

Jonathan

Hello Cruizin Tigers,

Your friend won't have any problem picking you up at all. If you're booked in a suite you will be off of the ship by 9:00 am. The rest of the cabins will debark in time increments between 9:30 and 10:30 am.

You can email your family member a night or two before you return once you receive your debark luggage tags and ascertain what time you will be off of the ship.

The ship arrives at around 7 am so you can call as well. Our debark station at Cape Liberty was #15. Simply look for the number and tell your friend to pick you up there. It's very simple and efficient, you will not have a problem.

Have a great cruise aboard Explorer.

Jonathan

I agree. We usually drive to this port, but a few years ago there were too many of us so we hired a limo bus & though the pick up driver had never been there before he just waited in the lot for us & said he had a very easy time finding us. When he arrived at the port (i had told the company 9 am), he called my cell phone to let me know he was waiting outside... we were not ready until 10 however. then I called him back to let him know which pickup station we'd be standing at. It all went very smoothly.

Have a wonderful voyage! I LOVE Explorer. 135 more days til it's our turn again!

Rosie

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thank you, Jonathan and Rosie.

I considered that we could call that morning when we arrived in port and could provide a better ETA for our disembarkation. I was just concerned if they were early, would there be some place they could park and wait for us.

Thank you both again for the great advice and kind wishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, Jonathan and Rosie.

I considered that we could call that morning when we arrived in port and could provide a better ETA for our disembarkation. I was just concerned if they were early, would there be some place they could park and wait for us.

Thank you both again for the great advice and kind wishes.

This is what we did one time when we had someone picking us up. As we approached the bridge and/or close enough to pick up cell phone signal, we called them up and gave them a rough idea of when we were getting off the ship. Of course, that may change.....

There is a long road going out to the terminal with lots of space on the side of the road to park the car to wait. We called them again as we were starting to move off the ship knowing that going through customs would not take that long. Then when you move out of the terminal, go down to the pick-up area, look for their car and start waving to attract their attention...

BTW, they will probably not be allowed to park in the pick-up area if you are not there yet. They will likely be told to move on and will have to make a loop to come back to the terminal.

This is what we did one time when we had someone picking us up. As we approached the bridge and/or close enough to pick up cell phone signal, we called them up and gave them a rough idea of when we were getting off the ship. Of course, that may change.....

There is a long road going out to the terminal with lots of space on the side of the road to park the car to wait. We called them again as we were starting to move off the ship knowing that going through customs would not take that long. Then when you move out of the terminal, go down to the pick-up area, look for their car and start waving to attract their attention...

BTW, they will probably not be allowed to park in the pick-up area if you are not there yet. They will likely be told to move on and will have to make a loop to come back to the terminal.

I believe you are correct in that there is either a cell phone lot, or a place along the road to park. We had a car service pick us up twice at Bayonne, and the driver asked us to call when we were ready because he could not wait right at the terminal.

Edited by clarea

I believe you are correct in that there is either a cell phone lot, or a place along the road to park. We had a car service pick us up twice at Bayonne, and the driver asked us to call when we were ready because he could not wait right at the terminal.

This is correct. There is an area on the right hand side of the entrance road where you can park and wait for a call.

When they get to the end of the road leading to the ship, there is a fork. Everyone takes the left fork to the drop off area, but if they "ignore" the guy guiding them towards the left, and they take the right fork, there is a parking lot adjacent to the forward part of the ship. If they park there, they can visit the 9/11 Teardrop memorial while they wait for you to call them when you are ready to be picked up.

We've been to the port 3 times, and it wasn't until the last time that we decided to visit this area before we boarded the ship. It was really very lovely.

I'd recommend that you scope out this area when your friends drop you off, so that they will be able to find it on the return trip.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g46290-d1887195-Reviews-To_the_Struggle_Against_World_Terrorism-Bayonne_New_Jersey.html

Edited by DonnaK