West End or West Bay for Kids

nycfa

So we are traveling with two kids (12 & 9).

Which is a better beach area to go to with them?

West End or West Bay?

Looking for some snorkeling/sand play.....food and restrooms would be helpful too

Thanks!

Definitely West Bay. There are several resorts/hotels lining the bay where you can reserve lounges and there are beach restaurants right there. Restrooms are available at the Bananarama for customers as well as other places. Busy bay with off the beach snorkeling options as well as swimming and water toys. You can reserve ahead through the properties or rent chairs when you arrive at some.

West End is a fun evening destination, a little funkier with several dive shops, restaurants and bars and stores. Nice beach too in spots. But West Bay would be more appropriate.

I have to revise my recommendation, sorry! :)

We hire a private driver to take us to West End so we can shop and just see some of the nice homes and fun spots in this pretty, funky little Half Moon Bay. There's a great T-shirt store with high quality shirts and other stuff at excellent prices (name escapes me but the owners make their own stuff). We then take the $4pp, 10 minute water taxi over to West Bay and enjoy that beach and a nice lunch at the Thirsty Turtle at Bananarama. You can rent chairs, etc there if you'd like, or just relax at the TT and enjoy the view.

This is our favorite tour when stopping on a cruise, and the water taxi is a great way to enjoy some time in a boat cruising the beautiful coast. Our driver finds the taxi driver but he's easy to spot at the dock.

Enjoy!;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Thanks!! I think we are going to try West Bay. :) We leave in 30 days!! Can't wait. :)

Can you please post a review about West Bay? Specifically - what kind of loungers they have, how nice the beach/water is, how long the ride there was.

I think we are leaning towards doing the Roatan West Bay Beach Break with Island Mkting. it is $33 pp but that includes your transportation, lounge chairs, drink so not a bad price.

Can you please post a review about West Bay? Specifically - what kind of loungers they have, how nice the beach/water is, how long the ride there was.

I think we are leaning towards doing the Roatan West Bay Beach Break with Island Mkting. it is $33 pp but that includes your transportation, lounge chairs, drink so not a bad price.

You might have to find out where Island Marketing takes you on West Bay Beach.. the loungers are going to change from resort to resort.

West Bay is the premiere beach on the island..Have a look at Google Images..it is truly post card beautiful. Fluffy white sand, crystal blue water.

The time from Coxen Hole is about 30 mins, the time from Mahogany Bay is about 45.

We have been to Roatan 5 times, and for your needs Guest 2000 is correct.I also do not know exactly which resort IM uses, but $33 PP is a good price as the last time we went there we had a driver for $20 PP and paid $10 PP at Argentine Grill for loungers on West Bay...It is definitely a nice beach though..

SANY2343.jpg

upload an image

• 2 weeks later...

The Island Marketing West Bay Beach Break takes you to Bananarama. We have done it twice, both times it was just a small group in a van and the driver stayed there at Bananarama all day and offered to drive any of us to nearby places like West End if we wanted. The included loungers were in full sun, but we just used them to put our stuff on and went snorkeling. There were ones in a shady area you could pay extra for. Last time the free drink was limited to a beer or well drink... no more free Monkey Lalas.

If booking through the cruise ship, the Tabyana Beach facility they take you to is about 1/4 mile further down the beach and right at the best area for snorkeling. Bathrooms are clean and there are plenty of loungers, many of them in the shade. It tends to be less crowded and a more relaxing atmosphere. You have to book Tabyana through the cruise line, but it is usually not that expensive.

And yes, you can just stay at Mahogany Bay if you want, but the man made beach there is nothing like the natural white sand beach and coral reefs at West Bay.

So to Update....

We cruised last week and did a Best of Roatan Private Tour with Victor Bodden.

After touring around our driver dropped us off at West Bay.

OMG it's was beautiful. Water was clear and flat.

We didn't get chairs or a day pass anywhere since we only planned on being there a couple of hours and most of that time was spent in the water.

We went down towards the big rocks where our driver said the snorkeling was best. Also the beach was wider down there so there was room to toss our stuff on the beach.

It was actually just passed where Carnival takes it's people as I saw tons of loungers with Carnival towels on them. :)

Lots of vendors walking around but they moved on after a no thank you. You could also rent jet skis, paddle boards, water toys. We didn't do any of that but it was available.

Hmm. I had planned on doing the West End because I love that funky vibe that I've heard so much about, but I will have to look into the West Bay some more!

Yes don't miss WE. Get dropped at WE and take the water taxi to WB for lunch and the beach. Great day that! :)