Orange juice at dinner?

anjuli

When I was on my first cruise on Carnival a couple of years ago, I asked for a glass of orange juice at dinner. The waiter was excellent the whole week, but on the first night he acted as if I had asked for a glass of worms to drink. He was pretty emphatic there was to be no juice at dinner, at least served by him. I felt pretty stupid. (A friend on the cruise disappeared shortly thereafter and reappeared with a glass of OJ. He did this each night at dinner.)

At any rate, does HAL server OJ at dinner? I don't want to ask again, I would prefer to have it served at dinner, but I can carry a glass in. (My DH suggested a screwdriver pre-dinner drink, but I like plain OJ with my meals.)

Thanks for any responses!

Oh, I forgot. Do they serve soda at dinner? (I know I will have to pay for it, but again, I'd rather ask and have it served to me than have to carry a drink with me to dinner.) And of course, any and all drinks for dinner would come from HAL. :D

I think you can get what you want, but you would have to order it from the cocktail waiter/waitress as a pre-dinner drink and be charged for it. I was ill on a cruise and to get oj after breakfast I had to order it from the bar and pay for it (it was not HAL, but I think the same rules would apply). I guess I could've gotten it from room service at n/c.

Penny

I think you can get what you want, but you would have to order it from the cocktail waiter/waitress as a pre-dinner drink and be charged for it. I was ill on a cruise and to get oj after breakfast I had to order it from the bar and pay for it (it was not HAL, but I think the same rules would apply). I guess I could've gotten it from room service at n/c.

Penny

My daughter had to do it this way on Princess, what they did not tell her was that she could go into the Lido at any time and get it for herself. When she was on HAL she ordered oj from room service or a dining steward at no additional cost.

Linda

It has been my experience that you can order anything you want, OJ should be no problem at dinner. In fact last year on the Prinsendam just jokingly one night I said to the waiter that I wanted a hamburger! Now of course you know that a hamburger is not on the dinner menu. He said OK and wrote on his little pad. I was joking and he was serious. Of course I told him that I had changed my mind and would have the steak instead. The reason that I travel on HAL is because those people working on the ships only want to please you and they are great.:) My wife and I have made many friends among the crew members over the years. It is a great feeling when you board a ship and see one of your previous waiter's. AND they NEVER forget your name.

we were on the Zaandam in april, I asked for some orange juice in the lido (casual) for lunch. One of the servers said they usually didn't serve oj for lunch but he would check, 5 minutes later he appeared with a glass and got me more when I finished. I think a lot of it is in how you ask, in our experiences on cruises, when we have asked nicely and not DEMANDED something (which we saw A LOT) we almost always got what we asked for, or they at least TRIED to get it for us. Which is why we are booked on another HA ship.event.png

I think it was the response I received when I asked for the OJ on the Carnival Triumph in the dining room. The waiter acted as if I should have known that OJ wasn't an option in the main dining room. I'm not a demanding person, but I didn't realize that OJ wasn't an option.

As far as being served, yeah, I'd rather be served, but I'll carry a glass of OJ into the dining room if I really want some for dinner and they don't serve it in the dining room on HAL. But due to my previous experience on Carnival, I was just a bit reluctant to appear gauche again. :D

When we were on the Zaandam in March we had two college students at our table and they drank three to four large glasses of orange juice every night at dinner. Needless to say the ship ran out of OJ by the end of the cruise! Thank goodness they were able to restock while we were at HMC.

Archived