Which Ship (Norwegian Coastal)

Splinter

It's difficult to advise you on a ship because it will depend on your own priority and interests.

My own personnal favorite is the old MS Lofoten (built in 1964). She's the smallest of the fleet (so less people) and has a lot of soul, but she's the only ship without stabilizers so rough movements are possible in the open seas, and her comfort is more "rustic" (the cabins are smaller). I love her character but then I am personnaly interested in maritime heritage and she is not a ship for everybody. You really get the feeling of being on a working ship (the cargo is loaded and unloaded by crane, whereas for all the other ships it's loaded directly through the side of the ship).

The newest ship (MS Midnatsol and MS Trollfjord, built in the early 2000s) are much bigger and with internal design and comfort closer to what is expected of a "cruise" ship. (Slightly) bigger cabins, more and bigger lounges, interior decoration is a bit "bling". The MS Finnmarker is also of the same age and also bigger but with a more subdued atmosphere (and a pool!). They can carry up to 600 passengers (I think).

Then there are several ships built in the 1990s and with very similar layout and comfort level, they mostly differs by decoration choices. I have travelled once on the MS Polarlys in the winter and found it really pleasant. I really liked the observation lounge with floor to ceiling glass panels. They carry around 400 passengers. All the ships except MS Lofoten have stabilizers. Some of the ships have a hot tub (look it up on Hurtigruten's website).

For a first trip I would probably stay away from the MS Vesteraalen. She has a quaint charm (and great observation lounge) but an awkward layout and circulation from one end of the ship to the other is not straightforward (I also found the decoration a bit dated).

Hope this helps, if you have any specific question don't hesitate to ask.

As SarniaLo has pointed out, choice of ship probably boils down to 'old and small' v 'new(er) and large'. However, if you are restricted on sailing dates then the choice will be made for you. Given how rough some of the waters can be, I would go for a large ship.

Also bear in mind that it's the view outside and the ports you visit that are the reason for the trip, not the ship.

Want to do a round trip Norwegian coast voyage in early June 2015. Which of the Hurtigruten ships would people recommend, and why?

I would recommend the Midnatsol. It is a beautiful ship. I have been on her two sailings. One was of Sept. Visiting Geiranger Fjord and again end of 2013 hunting the Northern Lights. this Norwegean Cruise Line is emaizing and the Norwegian Landscape takes your breath away. In no way wan you compare this cruise line to any of the five star cruise lines. the food is quite good and unique to this part of Norway. In short If I had a chance again I would hop on the Midnatsol in a heartbeat. Can I come along?

Since the price is the same, no matter what ship you take, decide what things are important to you. We went on the Midnatsol - it left on a date we were available, was one of the newer ships with stabilizers, had a small gym and two hot tubs. We had a chance to tour the Lofoten and Trollfjord while they were in port. The Lofoten is a working museum and I'm glad I got to go on her, but the lack of stabilizers would have been a problem for me. Plus there was no gym or hot tub. The Trollfjord is a sister ship to the Midnatsol with a slightly different decor, but otherwise the same. From what I understand, the food is the same on all of the ships.

There are quite a lot of reviews posted in the member's review section on Cruise Critic - that may also help you decide on a specific ship.

As others have said, taking a Hurtigruten ship is an amazing experience and I would go again at a moment's notice. So let us know if you need someone to travel with you :-)

Sorry I should have said Hurtigruten. The Midnadsol is one of their ships.

Not a problem (and we've travelled on Midnatsol)! I just wanted to ensure that there was no confusion between Hurtigruten and NCL. There are enough people who think the Hurtigruten product is a 'traditional' cruise with a show on stage each night rather than outside under the sky!

Edited by digitl

Thanks for the input...and as a matter of fact, I am looking for a companion for this trip. I have been wanting to take this cruise for some time, and hoping I can actually find someone who wants to share it.