Oceania in Cozumel: options for Mayan ruins?

newcruisermom

We are booking a Caribbean cruise this week and are trying to decide between Oceania and Celebrity. Oceania doesn't seem to offer a trip to Mayan ruins from Cozumel, except for El Cedral. Celebrity does offer excursions. Has anybody done DIY/private tour when on Oceania in Cozumel? I don't know if time or port location is the issue. We are in port from 8-6.

We have not sailed either Oceania or Celebrity, but we LOVE Azamara and hope that either will be a good fit.

I have searched the Cozumel port board, but I am hoping for info specifically on Oceania options/logistics.

Thank you,

Mary

To see the better ruins, you must go to the main land(Playa del Carman). The ferry across runs on a regular schedule, you can check it out. There are two options, Citchen Itza and Tulum.

Tulum is straight down the beach and very scenic, whereas Citchen Itza is inland, in the jungles, far larger and far more dramatic. Several tour companies do the tour out of PdC, however, timewise I'm not sure you can make Citchen Itza. It's quite a bus ride, round trip, plus one has to add in the two ferry crossings. Tulum is the safer bet, and is very doable.

If you google Tulum visits from Playa del Carman I'm sure you can find several tour companies to accommodate you.

Thank you very much for the advice! We are leaning toward Oceania over Celebrity, although Celebrity is less expensive and currently includes a free drinks package opeion. I love the fact our Oceania ship would be the same as the ships we sailed on with Azamara.

Thanks again.

Thank you very much for the advice! We are leaning toward Oceania over Celebrity, although Celebrity is less expensive and currently includes a free drinks package opeion. I love the fact our Oceania ship would be the same as the ships we sailed on with Azamara.

Thanks again.

You'll find Oceania ships are not the same. They are MUCH nicer? Enjoy!

We love the Oceania ships so much (Greece) that we are booking an AZ cruise in Feb. (Bali to Japan) and also another O cruise in November Miami to Miami with Mexico Belize and Guatamala because it was reasonable price. We have also done Celebrity (transatlantic) and because they are larger they still overwhelm little communities in Mexico and Belize and Guatamala.

Try Oceania and see if you don't like their style. We like to mix it up but lately have been on smaller ships -- small ship better parking was one ad -- you are close to the city and sometimes difference between tender or not.

We stayed on Cozumel a few years ago and rented a car. We did go to see the ruins on Cozumel one day-the site is not large but it is interesting although by far not the best of Mayan ruins, just all there is on Cozumel. As said above, if you are really interested in Mayan ruins, a trip from Playa del Carmen or Cancun (is the ship stopping at either?) would be better. If you have to take the ferry across from Cozumel and then get a tour to Tulum, Chitchen Itza, or Uxmal (the latter two are often a package deal but further away), time becomes a consideration. Tulum is closest and the best bet. Oceania is great if the price and itinerary is right for you. You could also check what the excursions they offer for the cruise you are interested in to see what is doable.

Can't help you about the Mayan ruins, but if making a choice between Celebrity and Oceania, for me it's hands down Oceania. I was a Celebrity snob, stop cruising all but Celebrity until a couple years ago when I was disappointed in them. So we tried Oceania and we may never go back. It is more expensive, but it's also a most amazing step up in service and dining.

We're doing the short, one week, cruise on Regatta in November to Cozumel and Roatan, Key West ... really looking forward to it.