Second Guest Half Off

Earlier in the year we started looking at a cruise for January 2015. We picked the cruise and a cabin, but we decided to watch for specials on this particular cruise before reserving it. This past weekend we received a brochure in the mail about the second guest half off. So I went back on the website and pulled up the cruise we were looking at. I entered all the same info (same deck and same category) - but the price is only about $45 less than the price we saw on this cruise earlier this year. I looked all over the brochure and I cannot locate any kind of code we need to enter to get the second guest half off. And when I look at the details for the current pricing, it shows half off the second guest, but it also appears that the price of the trip has increased. Has anyone else noticed this? Or could it just be the price of this particular cruise increased? Since this was the only cruise I priced out earlier in the year, I don't know if all the cruise prices were increased or just this cruise. Is it better to wait until the Fall to reserve a cruise for winter? We are budget conscious and just want to get the best deal possible.

Edited by NewYork8048

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Many people have reported that prices are not lower with the BOGOHO (second guest half-off) promo. Others have gotten significant price drops. It all depends on the particular cruise. Those cruises that were selling well enough had their prices raised before the BOGOHO promo.

I am a travel agent, and in my travel agent forum there was a lot anger about this promotion. Apparently the first couple of days of the sale, the second guest was truly half off then without warning they doubled the price on the first passenger so my fellow agents had quoted this fantastic sale price to their clients only to have it gone when the clients tried to book! So - YES. You are not the only one!

Seriously, the best thing to do is watch a few cruises over time. There is no 'best' time to book. I have seen great deals at opening, 9 months out, 2 months out, 4 weeks out, etc.

You have to get familiar with prices and then make your move when you think your deal is good. You can get price adjustments up until final payment with no penalty if you book directly. Some TAs may charge a fee or change perks if you ask for a price adjustment so ask up front.

Earlier in the year we started looking at a cruise for January 2015. We picked the cruise and a cabin, but we decided to watch for specials on this particular cruise before reserving it. This past weekend we received a brochure in the mail about the second guest half off. So I went back on the website and pulled up the cruise we were looking at. I entered all the same info (same deck and same category) - but the price is only about $45 less than the price we saw on this cruise earlier this year. I looked all over the brochure and I cannot locate any kind of code we need to enter to get the second guest half off. And when I look at the details for the current pricing, it shows half off the second guest, but it also appears that the price of the trip has increased. Has anyone else noticed this? Or could it just be the price of this particular cruise increased? Since this was the only cruise I priced out earlier in the year, I don't know if all the cruise prices were increased or just this cruise. Is it better to wait until the Fall to reserve a cruise for winter? We are budget conscious and just want to get the best deal possible.
We have a group of eight couples going on the Oasis of the Seas on January 25, 2015. We took immediate action when the "buy one get one half off" sale began. Three of the couples booked immediately and got fantastic deals. The other five couples booked off and on the following two weeks and the prices were all over the place. Those that booked the latest, got the worse pricing. The sale said it was lasting until the end of May and thought all the pricing would be the same - NO WAY. Was a bit frustrating for those that did not take IMMEDIATE action.

We have a group of eight couples going on the Oasis of the Seas on January 25, 2015. We took immediate action when the "buy one get one half off" sale began. Three of the couples booked immediately and got fantastic deals. The other five couples booked off and on the following two weeks and the prices were all over the place. Those that booked the latest, got the worse pricing. The sale said it was lasting until the end of May and thought all the pricing would be the same - NO WAY. Was a bit frustrating for those that did not take IMMEDIATE action.

I have a similar story- we had booked a cruise to take with a group of people- and when the sale came up- we adjusted our price immediatelty- HUGE savings. I told the group, and they all waited so long that the ship must have sold out, since the price went up so much.

It went from thinking of getting a Grand Suite, the price was so good, to not booking at all. Bummer.

Good thing we like to cruise.

If its 45.00 less than the price you saw in the past, then why not book.

We may still book it, however, when you are expecting half off of about $950 but it is only $45, that is a big difference. But you are right $45 is still $45 saved!

Edited by NewYork8048

It is half off of current rates, not original rates or discounted rates.

I now understand that - I also understand that the current rates were increased to cover most of the half off second guest "savings". Although, it does appear from prior posts that some people were able to take advantage of the half off second guest before the price was increased (seriously, Great for them). This is a learning curve for me, I did not realize that when there is a "sale" that the base prices are sometimes changed for the "sale". It is just good information to know.

Prices change constantly. I have seen the price for same cabin, date, etc go up $50-$100 in a 2 hour period. That is why we book early and watch for discounts. If we the see a discount we call and get the lower price. We have booked 2 of the BOGOHO and have saved a lot.

Seriously, the best thing to do is watch a few cruises over time. There is no 'best' time to book. I have seen great deals at opening, 9 months out, 2 months out, 4 weeks out, etc.

You have to get familiar with prices and then make your move when you think your deal is good. You can get price adjustments up until final payment with no penalty if you book directly. Some TAs may charge a fee or change perks if you ask for a price adjustment so ask up front.

If I understand correctly, we can book now, and if we find a better price later (before final payment) we can adjust without penalty (we do it on our own, no TA). Thank you for the information.

Prices change constantly. I have seen the price for same cabin, date, etc go up $50-$100 in a 2 hour period. That is why we book early and watch for discounts. If we the see a discount we call and get the lower price. We have booked 2 of the BOGOHO and have saved a lot.

It is really nice to get all this information from seasoned cruisers. Thanks for the info.

If I understand correctly, we can book now, and if we find a better price later (before final payment) we can adjust without penalty (we do it on our own, no TA). Thank you for the information.

Yes, you can normally get a price drop before final payment date. There are exceptions, such as when the lower price is restricted to new bookings.

We decided to go with my brother and his family on a Spring break 2015 Oasis after he told me about that sale. He had already RSVP'ed and rebooked saving $3,000 (he has a CLS). When I saw the price drop for the sale on Sunday we decided to go, also. I waited until Monday to call my TA and the price had already gone up $300 and now it's +$700 over that.

I am thinking I should have done a hold on Sunday and had my TA finalize it on Monday. Luckily she was able to still get our deposit from a canceled Anthem TA moved over and we still got the $200 OBC RCCL gave due to that change.

Keep in mind that if you call to get a price change after the sale is over, then you'll lose the half-off 2nd passenger deal because every passenger in a booking gets repriced at the current price at the time you call.

So when calling to reprice, you need to look at the total price to determine if repricing is a good deal, not just the individual passenger prices.

A couple months back, we booked a cruise under the Kids Sail Free promotion. That effectively locked us into that price, but it was a heck of a deal, so I was happy with it. It didn't really matter in the end, because even the 1&2 prices never dropped before final payment a couple weeks back.

I experienced the exact same thing. I took immediate action when the sale posted and rebooked my cruise. Not only did I save $1200, I was able to move 4 people from one room into 2 connecting rooms for the reduced price. People who were traveling with us did not move as quick and are paying the exact same amount for two people (in one room), that I am paying for 4 people (in two rooms). The BOGOHO sale really was only a great deal the first few days. After that, the prices jumped up so significantly you were essentially paying full price for both people. The key message, "You snooze, You loose."

I experienced the exact same thing. I took immediate action when the sale posted and rebooked my cruise. Not only did I save $1200, I was able to move 4 people from one room into 2 connecting rooms for the reduced price. People who were traveling with us did not move as quick and are paying the exact same amount for two people (in one room), that I am paying for 4 people (in two rooms). The BOGOHO sale really was only a great deal the first few days. After that, the prices jumped up so significantly you were essentially paying full price for both people. The key message, "You snooze, You loose."

I called Monday and saved $400 on my already booked cruise. If I waited until today the savings would be less than $100

I'm guessing that your from NY and probably looking at Quantum out of Bayonne. If so you will not get a deal on this cruise. I called by TA to get a deal.......same price as the website. If your leaving on 1/11/2015, see you on board,