Vision of the Seas in Charleston port

Hi! not much of one for the cruise ships but we did see her coming in today. no zoom possible but you can use the controls on the Left side to move left or right.

Here's the link for you: http://www.charlestonharborresort.com/webcams.html

In case link fails here: charleston harbor resort dot com / webcams

click on the middle "harbor" cam and you'll see the ship straight ahead across the channel. Sailaway at 5pm today.

Edited by teltrainer
wrong direction

Hi! not much of one for the cruise ships but we did see her coming in today. no zoom possible but you can use the controls on the Left side to move left or right.

Here's the link for you: http://www.charlestonharborresort.com/webcams.html

In case link fails here: charleston harbor resort dot com / webcams

click on the middle "harbor" cam and you'll see the ship straight ahead across the channel. Sailaway at 5pm today.

Thanks, Link works great.

Why was the Vision in Charleston? Visiting?

Charleston was a scheduled day stop on Vision's current 10 day cruise from Ft. Lauderdale. She also goes to Bermuda, Nassau, and Coco Cay on the cruise.

I wish an RCI cruise would leave from Charleston.

Me too! I wasn't expecting to see the Vision today. But I recognized her outline while driving across the bridge and remembered noting the stop in Charleston on a few itineraries this summer.

Thought you'd like to see her visiting us today! The photos were taken from the Fleet Landing restaurant parking lot at the harbor. Beautiful hot and sunny day here.

WhooHoo! Great shot of the corner aft we'll be occupying next January on the beautiful Vision! Thanks so much.

I thought that only Carnival docked here in Charleston! I had no idea Vision came to town! I wish we could get a Royal or Celebrity ship out of Charleston. In 2002 we stopped here on the Galaxy. I said I'd love to return to visit Charleston and now I'm here permanently!

Cheryl

I thought that only Carnival docked here in Charleston! I had no idea Vision came to town! I wish we could get a Royal or Celebrity ship out of Charleston. In 2002 we stopped here on the Galaxy. I said I'd love to return to visit Charleston and now I'm here permanently!

Cheryl

I believe Vision is stopping in Charleston on just a handful of cruises.

As far as I know only the 10 day Bermuda run for Vision and the Serenade Repo.

True. Left here yesterday and in Bermuda on Saturday according to the port schedule. The Vision will be back in Charleston (for the day) on the same cruise itinerary in August and September, 10 days out of Ft. Lauderdale.

Wish RCI or Celebrity would embark here and not just stop for the day on occasion.

Carnival Fantasy has been the only ship embarking here (through mid 2016?) but we're hopeful for another ship or two embarking here when the new cruise terminal is built. Lots of back and forth lawsuits from downtown resident groups and others who don't like ships docking there so who knows when that will actually be completed.

I wish an RCI cruise would leave from Charleston.

I do to as that is only a 3 hour drive for us! It seems they have been fighting fo some years about a new 35 million dollar cruise terminal. It appears it is a fight with the Historical District /Society of Charleston. I spent 8 years in Charleston while in the Air Force and from what I saw, The historical society has a lot of pull when it comes to preserving the historical district. They will not let anything new be built that is not in conformity with preserving the history of the area! Neighbors in the area are also saying that it is also a nuisance to the area.

Here is a link to a article in the local Charleston Newspaper:

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20140422/PC05/140429816

Edited by bigque

I'll have to look to see when she will be here again so I can go downtown and watch her sailaway with a Bon voyage cocktail!!

Vision will be in Charleston on August 20th and September 3rd. Serenade will be there on October 31st.

Edited by clarea

Charleston was a scheduled day stop on Vision's current 10 day cruise from Ft. Lauderdale. She also goes to Bermuda, Nassau, and Coco Cay on the cruise.

Interesting news...thank you. ;)

Vision will be in Charleston on August 20th and September 3rd. Serenade will be there on October 31st.

I guess there is no way to hop on the ship and continue the cruise from Charleston is there? We live only 5 hours away.

All of my children sailed from Charleston on the Carnival Fantasy a couple of years ago. And in 2010 my husband and I, along with my sister and BIL, took our parents on their last cruise aboard the Carnival Glory. By that time, my father could not fly anymore and we thought a drive to Charleston and taking any cruise would do him good. We all had a great time and I will cherish that week forever.:) We had my Dad for another year. My mother died unexpectedly within 5 months of my father. My sister died a year after my mother. :(

Being from the south and visiting the Charleston area many times, I can understand the feelings of the locals. If I lived there full time. I would not like tourist overtaking the city many times a week. However, with living so close, it would be nice to scoot down there and hop on a ship. ;)

Interesting news...thank you. ;)

I guess there is no way to hop on the ship and continue the cruise from Charleston is there? We live only 5 hours away...

Well, you probably could get on in Charleston if you missed your plane to Ft. Lauderdale. Problem is that the ship won't drop you back in Charleston at the end of the cruise. Edited by clarea

We'll be in Charleston on the Vision, Wednesday, 20 August 2014. My mom (80+++ who walks with a walker) and I are just hoping we can get off the ship and catch a cab to the historic district. Is that possible? Specifically I was thinking we could head to the Old City Market (Market Hall) and walk around a bit. Maybe get a bite to eat and then head back to the ship. Or... maybe a carriage ride. Any suggestions are appreciated. Mom can walk some but not really long distances. It is also better if it is smooth walking. If the idea of catching a cab is out of the question... or walking at the Market is really difficult... please... if you have any suggestions for us, I will be so very appreciative. I was in Charleston years ago... but walking is not a problem for me. Thank you for any information you can offer!

LindaO The Market is very close. You can search for Charleston market map and see the area.

The walking with a walker will be challenging since will be very hot (90-95 usual at that time) and streets and sidewalks uneven. Also very crowded area and tight inside the market shopping area.

As long as she could get on the carriage ride that would be a smoother timer for her. You could call or book through the ship if they have one. Here's a link for "private" less than 5 people carriage rides: http://www.palmettocarriage.com/private-carriages.html There are several other carriage companies if you do a search.

She might also enjoy a tour bus out to the plantation areas. Gardens will be lovely there and she could walk as much or as little as comfortable. This is our favorite and we are members here: http://www.magnoliaplantation.com/