Suggested routes to Houston going through Dallas?

pmCruiser

For those of you that know the roads in and around Dallas, we could use a little advice. We will be driving from Minnesota to Houston for a cruise this fall. Looking at maps and routing applications, it appears as if we will have to change from I-35E to I-30 to I-45 all in a short distance in downtown Dallas. Based on our current estimates we will be doing this maneuver in mid afternoon (probably just before 3:30 PM) on a Monday. Is this the best route, or are there better alternatives?

Being before 3pm you should be ok, but with that said I would get a traffic app on your phone and check downtown traffic when you pass in to Lewisville. IF downtown is a complete mess (and this is a little of a round about way) take I35 south, once you go under 635 you would merge right on to loop 12 south. Continue south on loop 12 and then merge right to spur 408 south. At that point Loop 12 stops being a highway with no lights. You continue on 408 to I20. On I20 go east. You will then go south on 45 to Houston. Unfortunately your way is the best, but check traffic once you get here. If a freeway is shutdown you now have an alt route!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You will be fine. Trying to use all the alternate routes will just get you confused and you really won't save much time if you get lost. It is really easy. Just take I35 and when it splits (in Denton just north of the metroplex) stay on I35E. Once you get downtown just past the American Airlines arena (it will be on your left, going south) you will want to be in the right lane. Take the exit for Houston (it is marked well) and go under the short tunnel and exit to your right again (Will see signs for I45)(It is only a mile maybe two from the time you get off I35E until you are on I45. You do not get on I30 at all. Once you get on I45 you will have clear sailing till Houston area. You won't see much of anything until around the Conroe area. It is actually a very boring ride.

I have heard that there are toll roads around Houston that only use prepaid passes (no toll booths), so out-of-towners (who don't have the passes) end up getting bills from the state of Texas requiring the driver to pay not only the tolls but a hefty fine or service charge in addition. Any truth to this?

I have heard that there are toll roads around Houston that only use prepaid passes (no toll booths), so out-of-towners (who don't have the passes) end up getting bills from the state of Texas requiring the driver to pay not only the tolls but a hefty fine or service charge in addition. Any truth to this?

Yes, some truth. But those roads are well-marked, and you shouldn't need to drive on them. The main difficulty seems to be when a GPS says to take Hardy Toll Road instead of I45 in north Houston when it's late at night and there's no one manning the booth - but that's also when you don't need to take the toll road as a bypass! So ignore the GPS whining that you should take Hardy or tell it to find an alternate route. Westpark doesn't have any booths, but you can either take surface streets or I10, and that's clear out of the way for a North-South trip.

The Sam Houston Toll (it's limited access loop 8) does have cash lanes.

You will be fine. Trying to use all the alternate routes will just get you confused and you really won't save much time if you get lost. It is really easy. Just take I35 and when it splits (in Denton just north of the metroplex) stay on I35E. Once you get downtown just past the American Airlines arena (it will be on your left, going south) you will want to be in the right lane. Take the exit for Houston (it is marked well) and go under the short tunnel and exit to your right again (Will see signs for I45)(It is only a mile maybe two from the time you get off I35E until you are on I45. You do not get on I30 at all. Once you get on I45 you will have clear sailing till Houston area. You won't see much of anything until around the Conroe area. It is actually a very boring ride.

If you zoom in on a map of Dallas, this is the parallel freeway to I30 that basically only exists in downtown. You'll notice that it's so short that the signage only says what's on the other side. However, if you are listening to traffic reports, it's critical to know this section is called "Woodall Rodgers." The 35 and 30 interchange is called the Mixmaster. 35E north of 30 = "Stemmonds" and 75/45 (the milage and name change, the pavement doesn't) = "Central" 45 south of downtown is now called Schepps officially, but I've not heard many people use it. Loop 635 = "LBJ" 35E South of downtown to 30 through downtown = RL Thornton ... Loop 12, however, stays loop 12, because it's actually a group of streets that make a city loop.

Edited by Saving Up To Be Eccentric
Trying to edit

I assume the road that you’re referring to is the Woodall Rodgers Freeway. It looks like it should be an easy alternative to my original route. Thanks.

If you zoom in on a map of Dallas, this is the parallel freeway to I30 that basically only exists in downtown. You'll notice that it's so short that the signage only says what's on the other side. However, if you are listening to traffic reports, it's critical to know this section is called "Woodall Rodgers." The 35 and 30 interchange is called the Mixmaster. 35E north of 30 = "Stemmonds" and 75/45 (the milage and name change, the pavement doesn't) = "Central" 45 south of downtown is now called Schepps officially, but I've not heard many people use it. Loop 635 = "LBJ" 35E South of downtown to 30 through downtown = RL Thornton ... Loop 12, however, stays loop 12, because it's actually a group of streets that make a city loop.

or don't over think it.

TruckerDave, thanks for your help getting through Dallas.

Now, would you be willing to do the same for the Houston area. My final destination is the Houston (Bayport) Cruise Terminal. Obviously I’ll be approaching Houston on I-45. Looking at maps it would appear as if I should get onto I-610 to TX-225 to TX-146 to Cruise Port Road. Should I possibly consider the Hardy Toll Road, or is it best to stay on I-45? Or, is there another, better, alternative? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Now, would you be willing to do the same for the Houston area. My final destination is the Houston (Bayport) Cruise Terminal. Obviously I’ll be approaching Houston on I-45. Looking at maps it would appear as if I should get onto I-610 to TX-225 to TX-146 to Cruise Port Road. Should I possibly consider the Hardy Toll Road, or is it best to stay on I-45? Or, is there another, better, alternative? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Your route with Hardy or

Outer beltway east to 225 to 146

Edited by ssb

or don't over think it.

Yeah, this time no one's going to be calling me in hysterics because they're stuck in traffic about to miss something and they didn't know the name of the freeway that wasn't on any sign they'd seen. :eek:

pmCruiser, are you going to be driving straight through to Houston? You'd be arriving after the crush of rush hour, especially if you stopped for dinner first.

Or are you planning on driving in the next morning during rush hour?

The north east section of the outer loop has gone toll-tag only. I'm sure it's marked, but you'll need to plan to go the frontage road for 13 miles if you want to avoid those tolls. I've done it before, but I could have sworn they had cash tolls for a while. They do, south of 90.

Not being familiar with the roads, and given the toll-tag only option on the northeast section, it sounds like my best bet is to take the Hardy to I-610 to TX-225 to TX-146 to Cruise Port Road. Thanks to everyone for their insights.

Yeah, this time no one's going to be calling me in hysterics because they're stuck in traffic about to miss something and they didn't know the name of the freeway that wasn't on any sign they'd seen. :eek:

pmCruiser, are you going to be driving straight through to Houston? You'd be arriving after the crush of rush hour, especially if you stopped for dinner first.

Or are you planning on driving in the next morning during rush hour?

Driving through Dallas is really not rocket science. The interstate numbers are big and bold on the big green signs and you can't miss them. The road names (if they are even on there) are in small letters that you really have to look for. I just went through Chicago yesterday and made it a point to look of names..The Stevenson, Dan Ryan etc etc were in small letters but the numbers are big and easy to read. and in some cities....HOUSTON for example...I 10 is either the east freeway or Katy freeway...I45 is either the North freeway or Gulf freeway. Forget the stupid names and just know the numbers.

That is about the best way to go. There are a some variations but that way is about the easiest. Just know that when on I610 and TX 225 is the first exit off the big ship channel bridge. So when you start over the bridge get in one of the right lanes (you won't miss the bridge) because you will exit off before you are fully off the bridge. and you take TX225 east till it ends and this is TX146 just you south and you will see the exit a few miles down.

No need whatsoever for toll roads. Skip the Hardy and Sam Houston tollway (TX8) just stay on I45 till I610 and go east. Put your money to better use. ;)

Edited by TruckerDave

For those of you that know the roads in and around Dallas, we could use a little advice. We will be driving from Minnesota to Houston for a cruise this fall. Looking at maps and routing applications, it appears as if we will have to change from I-35E to I-30 to I-45 all in a short distance in downtown Dallas. Based on our current estimates we will be doing this maneuver in mid afternoon (probably just before 3:30 PM) on a Monday. Is this the best route, or are there better alternatives?

Is there a particular reason you want to go through Dallas? If you are just passing through and not wanting to see some of the Dallas sites, taking I-35W when it splits in Denton and going through Ft. Worth may be faster. Dallas traffic can be more problematic and the mileage difference cannot be that much different. Besides, once you get just north of Hillsboro they merge back into one highway.

Even if you have to pay a premium...consider using toll roads to bypass Austin. If you think Dallas traffic can be a pain in the...well, you know what...you aint seen nothin' compared to Austin. :eek: From personal experience (many, many times)...do not get to Austin during rush hour.

Is there a particular reason you want to go through Dallas? If you are just passing through and not wanting to see some of the Dallas sites, taking I-35W when it splits in Denton and going through Ft. Worth may be faster. Dallas traffic can be more problematic and the mileage difference cannot be that much different. Besides, once you get just north of Hillsboro they merge back into one highway.

Even if you have to pay a premium...consider using toll roads to bypass Austin. If you think Dallas traffic can be a pain in the...well, you know what...you aint seen nothin' compared to Austin. :eek: From personal experience (many, many times)...do not get to Austin during rush hour.

I’m not sure that I understand your suggestion. I’m coming down I-35 from Minnesota. My final destination is the Houston (Bayport) Cruise terminal. While I understand that I-35W through Ft Worth may carry less traffic, I think that I still need to get onto I-45 in order to get to Houston. I don’t see an obvious route to I-45 without going into Dallas.

I’m not sure that I understand your suggestion. I’m coming down I-35 from Minnesota. My final destination is the Houston (Bayport) Cruise terminal. While I understand that I-35W through Ft Worth may carry less traffic, I think that I still need to get onto I-45 in order to get to Houston. I don’t see an obvious route to I-45 without going into Dallas.

I guess that was confusing, my apologies as I was thinking about our drive to Galveston in August. Many times when we go to Houston (we live in DFW) we do not take I-45. Probably because we have driven in many times and, while the way we go is certainly not scenic, there is nothing but trees and traffic on I-45.

We take I-35 to Waco...then jump on 6 and take it south to Hwy 290 and come into Houston from that direction. Since you are going to sail out of Houston...this way forces you to deal with downtown traffic. Going to Galveston we miss a lot of the traffic and it only adds 30 minutes (and with our luck when it comes to traffic that usually makes it faster for us).

I guess that was confusing, my apologies as I was thinking about our drive to Galveston in August. Many times when we go to Houston (we live in DFW) we do not take I-45. Probably because we have driven in many times and, while the way we go is certainly not scenic, there is nothing but trees and traffic on I-45.

We take I-35 to Waco...then jump on 6 and take it south to Hwy 290 and come into Houston from that direction. Since you are going to sail out of Houston...this way forces you to deal with downtown traffic. Going to Galveston we miss a lot of the traffic and it only adds 30 minutes (and with our luck when it comes to traffic that usually makes it faster for us).

Thanks for the clarification. If we ever sail from Galveston I’ll have to keep the route in mind.

You have either never discovered the soft-serve peach icecream at Cooper's Farm in Fairfield about exit 198 or you're trying to keep it a secret. :)

Oh I know about it...but stopping there does not work well with my weight loss journey given my lack of will power. :D

Many times when we go to Houston (we live in DFW) we do not take I-45. Probably because we have driven in many times and, while the way we go is certainly not scenic, there is nothing but trees and traffic on I-45.

There is a Buc-ees along I-45! Best beef jerky ever!

The drive from MN to TX isn't terrible, we have done it many times. We do always seem to catch Dallas during rush hour--but at least the drivers are way more polite than those in Houston!!:eek: