Lifeboats

Surrealistic

After my last cruise on the Splendor, I made a beautiful screen saver of the ship at Grand Turk. I love to look at it and dream about my wonderful cruise. Today, however, I was struck by the fact that the lifeboats were not all the same. That got me to thinking......why? Any ideas? And how are decisions made with regard to which lifeboat you occupy should the necessity exist? Just curious.

There are the normal lifeboats that hold around 150 each, a tender boat which holds around 117 people, and two rescue boats that hold about 60 each.

Then there are all the rafts that inflate when they hit the water.

Other than those three categories the lifeboats should be similar to each other since they stay with that ship.

After my last cruise on the Splendor, I made a beautiful screen saver of the ship at Grand Turk. I love to look at it and dream about my wonderful cruise. Today, however, I was struck by the fact that the lifeboats were not all the same. That got me to thinking......why? Any ideas? And how are decisions made with regard to which lifeboat you occupy should the necessity exist? Just curious.

That's it. We are officially out of topics to discuss on Cruise Critic!

This info for Carnival Splendor came from cruisedeckplans:

Life Saving Appliances

2 - emergency rescue boats - occupancy 60 - total 120

1 - tender boat - occupancy 117 - total 117

23 - motor lifeboats - occupancy 150 - total 3450

64 - davit launched life rafts - occupancy 35 - total 2240

5 - davit launched life rafts - occupancy 25 - total 125

Grand total lifesaving capacity: 6052

Hope that helps some.

Edited by PlanoTim

And how are decisions made with regard to which lifeboat you occupy should the necessity exist? Just curious.

Your lifeboat is the one in front of your muster station.

Unless you have FTTF. Then you get on the first one you come to, and push all others out of the way, ESPECIALLY those darn platinums. ;)

Your lifeboat is the one in front of your muster station.

Unless you have FTTF. Then you get on the first one you come to, and push all others out of the way, ESPECIALLY those darn platinums. ;)

LOL I love the way your mind works :D

How much of an OBC do you get on the lifeboats, should they be used?

Also, what is the proper procedure to make demands to J.H.'s blog from the lifeboat? Do they all have WiFi with free connectivity to his blog so you can make demands, as is your birth right?

How much of an OBC do you get on the lifeboats, should they be used?

Also, what is the proper procedure to make demands to J.H.'s blog from the lifeboat? Do they all have WiFi with free connectivity to his blog so you can make demands, as is your birth right?

All good thoughts, but what about chair hogs? Will there be an enforced time limit on how long you can be gone from your seat? Inquiring minds need to know!