Buying beverage package - discounts?

andnosyd

I think I just read recently that packages purchased online ahead of time would be discounted and the price would be higher if you waited to purchase Onboard.

There's a whole thread on beverage packages on the celebrity threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The beverage package price is the same whether you buy on line or on the ship. There was a time buying online was less expensive but that is no longer the case.

As for discounts, before the start of the 1,2,3 or Pick Your Perk promo's there were occasionally 10% discounts but I haven't seen that in a couple of years.

I bought the beverage package once while the ship was still at port or just leaving and I was charged tax. I was told that I should have waited until the ship was in international waters to avoid the tax.

So strange. I believe you. But we always buy ours when we board and have never been charged sales tax.

It would be nice if they could do things consistently.:confused:

So strange. I believe you. But we always buy ours when we board and have never been charged sales tax.

It would be nice if they could do things consistently.:confused:

Whether or not you are charged tax is not up to Celebrity. Different countries & states have different laws some require a tax be charged others don't. If in doubt ask before you purchase.

I bought the beverage package once while the ship was still at port or just leaving and I was charged tax. I was told that I should have waited until the ship was in international waters to avoid the tax.

I just upgraded my beverage package on Summit while still docked in Bayonne. The Sommelier wrote down my Folio # on my seapass, gave me a receipt, and put the premium sticker on my seapass. It didn't show up on my account for a day or so. They waited until we reached international waters to ring up the transaction. This was also the case when I signed up for wine events or the Riedel wine demonstration in the past.

I suppose if one went to guest relations and upgraded, it would be charged then and there, thus the NJ 7% sales tax.

Whether or not you are charged tax is not up to Celebrity. Different countries & states have different laws some require a tax be charged others don't. If in doubt ask before you purchase.

I had purchased the package online before hand. I got my first drink onboard while docked awaiting sail away in Barcelona. I was charged VAT on the value of this one drink. I would definitely buy the package online if my cruise was leaving from the EU.

Edited by Rufferto

I've read here on these boards about people boarding in FL and being charged sales tax. That is where we board also.

I don't know where PP boarded, however.

The beverage package price is the same whether you buy on line or on the ship. There was a time buying online was less expensive but that is no longer the case.

As for discounts, before the start of the 1,2,3 or Pick Your Perk promo's there were occasionally 10% discounts but I haven't seen that in a couple of years.

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/en_US/pdf/celebrity-cruises-beverage-packages-price-flyer.pdf

The price is higher if you book Onboard.

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/en_US/pdf/celebrity-cruises-beverage-packages-price-flyer.pdf

Thanks for the feedback. The flyer shows an onboard price that is the same the website is charging - that is $59 for the premium package. It would be nice to save the 10%, but I guess that won't be happening

That's an outdated flyer. The price to book before boarding was raised some months ago so now the price is the same no matter when you buy the package.

That's an outdated flyer. The price to book before boarding was raised some months ago so now the price is the same no matter when you buy the package.

$59.00 a day on the Celebrity site...I know they add gratuities, but do they also add tax? Thx!

Edited by 20pluscruises

$59.00 a day on the Celebrity site...I know they add gratuities, but do they also add tax? Thx!

No tax when I was going to check out. From what I've read, they don't charge it online, only if the ship is in port when you buy it.

I had purchased the package online before hand. I got my first drink onboard while docked awaiting sail away in Barcelona. I was charged VAT on the value of this one drink. I would definitely buy the package online if my cruise was leaving from the EU.

How much is VAT just wondering

Thanks for the feedback. The flyer shows an onboard price that is the same the website is charging - that is $59 for the premium package. It would be nice to save the 10%, but I guess that won't be happening

You were given out dated information, sorry.

That flyer is from 9/2013, this all changed in Feb 2014.

Yeah - just noticed the date. Lol. Oops. Should have proofread.

When I log into my 2 reservations I see the higher price. Luckily I have the bev package on my fall cruise; couldn't get it on my upcoming cruise on the summit which kinda sucks - but I got a great rate so can't complain.