Diamond Princess shore excursions in Japan.

soccerref

We are on Diamond Princess in September. My DH and I often do different shore excursions and prefer to do 'ship's tours' in those circumstances. We have been looking at the tours and find that many that interest my DH (mostly wild life and countryside visits) are guided in Japanese only. I was wondering if any non-Japanese speakers have done any of these tours and how difficult it was to understand meeting times etc.

We are on Diamond Princess in September. My DH and I often do different shore excursions and prefer to do 'ship's tours' in those circumstances. We have been looking at the tours and find that many that interest my DH (mostly wild life and countryside visits) are guided in Japanese only. I was wondering if any non-Japanese speakers have done any of these tours and how difficult it was to understand meeting times etc.

I have not done these, but unless the guide also speaks fluent English or you have a Japanese-speaking fellow excursion member who can translate for you, you might not enjoy the excursions very much.

Edited by caribill

Thanks for your input. My DH is a keen bird watcher/photographer and just mainly wants transport to wildlife areas and the only trips that do these places are guided in Japanese. He has done trips on other cruise lines for German, Spanish and French speakers and not had a problem so he's booked the Japanese ones.....so fingers crossed he'll survive!

Suggest you get him a Japanese tourist book. You don't speak Japanese, but rather the guide it witten in Japanese. Simple questions, W.C, drink. It also explain that you don't speak or understand Japanese on one page. We find this book very helpful. You use to get it a Japanese tourist office at the airport. If not I am sure you can find something on line.

It is a shame that your husband will not be able to follow all of the tour guide's narration during the tour, however I don't think you have any worries about simple conversation regarding meeting time, where is the toilet (the Japanese understand "toilet" better than "gent"s or "restroom").

English language study is compulsory in Japan through high school, but the emphasis is on reading and writing, so many are shy about speaking for fear of making a mistake and bringing shame to themselves.

As this a tour through Princess, it is highly likely the guide will speak some English and others (Japanese) on the tour probably will also.

I think it is wonderful that your husband is willing to join a tour in Japanese. This is the type of cross-cultural interaction that I hope the Diamond cruises in Japan will foster.

Best wishes for a wonderful time in Japan,

Kate

We lived in Japan for almost 4 years. Depending on where the ports are, you will be surprised to see many Japanese can speak English. My Japanese friend, Yuko is coming along with us on her first cruise. We will be on the Golden on June 28, heading for Alaska.

Enjoy your trip ! :D

• 1 month later...

I'm on the Diamond Princess on 31st August and have booked a couple of excursions that are only offered to Japanese Passengers. I've been to Nagasaki 3 times (last time was on Diamond in July!) and wanted to do something different so booked a trip to Sasebo and then a cruise round some islands. I'm also doing a Japanese only one in Jeju Island. I can get by in Japanese but as Kate said, many Japanese can speak some English so it should be ok. They're very helpful and I'm sure some of them will keep your husband right.

Enjoy you cruise!

Dileas

We took a Princess cruise that went to Japan, a Chinese island and Korea. Although the original excursion postings showed Japanese only, when I called Princess to inquire, I was told that English tours would be offered if numbers justified it. We took one or two ships excursions that were in English. There were more offered, but we generally research and plan our own excursions. (English was the first language aboard the ship, also.)

Hi there

I'm on the Diamond Princess on 1st September. I was able to book the tours I wanted. Hopefully the other two will be offered in English but if not I'll just do the Japanese ones. I'll be able to communicate in Japanese but won't be able to understand much of the information given by the guide!

This is interesting. We were on the Diamond in Asia and had one stop in Japan (Nagasaki). We did our own thing via public transportation and found the city very easy to navigate.

I think I must look approachable (and I am!) and so in every foreign port we have ever been to, random people come and talk to me. I met a lovely older man in the gardens near the Atomic Bomb museum, who spoke to me in halting English and was clearly happy to practice it. I speak no Japanese so I was impressed!

Long story short, go for the excursion and I'm sure it will work out!

You shouldn't have a problem being on the Japanese tour. My husband and son were on a few (to an onsen) and enjoyed them. All he had to do was ask for the meeting times, etc. and it was given. Granted he missed out on some facts and details on the drive out...

Japanese people are friendly and helpful.

O, and book your Japanese tour online; on the ship, all of those tours are in written/described in Japanese at the Shore Excursion desk.

We're on the Diamond in Japan in October. We booked all the excursions in English. I hope enough people do so they don't cancel them. Most tours are going outside the city port so it looks like most ports will not have much to do/see? I wouldn't mind if we have to take a Japanese tour, our main reason for going to Japan is to see their architecture. :)

• 2 weeks later...