Taking a bike on board

Depends what they mean by public space. If a passenger elevator or passenger corridor is what they consider public space, then it's impossible. However, if they mean public space is the Royal Promenade, Schooner Bar, Centrum, etc., then it's possible.

• 3 weeks later...

We are bringing our folding bikes on the Oasis in October. They fold and fit into our checked 32" spinner hard shell bag, and they are also tucked into a black canvas bag with shoulder straps to carry off the ship. Check out the links for further info on bike http://amzn.to/2uiIdf2 and bags http://amzn.to/2uiMrU5 and http://amzn.to/2t3NWFj .

• 1 year later...

Sorry for reviving an already revived thread; wondering if best to let these die and start anew? But good info here, already!

Anyway, have a related question based on what was posted - my teenage son is a 'freestyle' BMX rider and is thinking of bringing his bike on our cruise. Similar to the folding bikes, his bike can be disassembled and carried onboard in his luggage.

What's different is that reassembly takes some time and tools. Therefore, he would prefer not to do on shore, but instead do the more complicated/technical parts in the cabin (cranks, chain and handle bars) and carry off the bike with the frame intact and wheels separate. He could then attach the wheels off the ship and be ready to go. I don't think this would be much different then carrying off a folding bike in its folded state.

Thoughts?

Thanks

• 6 months later...
On 8/23/2018 at 1:21 PM, DandDM said:

What's different is that reassembly takes some time and tools. Therefore, he would prefer not to do on shore, but instead do the more complicated/technical parts in the cabin (cranks, chain and handle bars) and carry off the bike with the frame intact and wheels separate. He could then attach the wheels off the ship and be ready to go. I don't think this would be much different then carrying off a folding bike in its folded state.

I would consider getting a true folding bike.  I had a folding bike that I could get in a regular suitcase if I broke it down.  It would take me 20-30 minutes to put it together and take it apart.  That's if I didn't drop anything under the bed while I was working on it.   That gets old.  

A folding bike can be fun to ride, smaller tires can make it feel maneuverable and responsive.  And it is so much more fun to spend time riding a bike rather than building it.  They can be pretty reasonably priced.

I saw a woman with a full size non folding mountain bike getting off the Freedom in Bonaire a couple weeks ago.  She would have had to carry/push it through the ship to debark at the port.

Edited by mac66

I  know the employees get to use the bikes store near their cabins. We took a tour of the ship where the employees

work , eat and sleep and captain offices . Food is prepared and all the laundry done. Costs up $100. each. It is once

in a life time to see.

But  I am not so sure I would ride around in most of the islands alone. It isn't too safe. 

But would love to do it    Otherwise .