drones on cruiships

snaiks

are drones allowed to be flown on cruises?

You never know, you should try. Just remember the ship is built from metal so its going to play havoc with your onboard compass.

Flying a Phantom (drone) on board a ship is one of the dumbest things to do in the history of dumb things...

I have one and I would never consider doing this. Too much room for error and injury plus there is no GPS home lock (moving ship remember?) for the phantom to use for failsafe landings.

Sent from my iCouch

Edited by Submariner

A few weeks ago I was watching a RCCL ship sail out of Ft. Lauderdale, on the web cam, when I heard the audio feed broadcast a radio conversation from a Coast Guard ship near the channel. The conversation was asking the pilot boat if they had observed a possible drone flying alongside the ship. They (Coast Guard) was not pleased and requested the pilot to notify the Captain to search for and or notify crew and passengers that the act of flying a drone in this way is prohibited by Homeland Security.

Flying a Phantom (drone) on board a ship is one of the dumbest things to do in the history of dumb things...

I have one and I would never consider doing this. Too much room for error and injury plus there is no GPS home lock (moving ship remember?) for the phantom to use for failsafe landings.

Sent from my iCouch

Nice to see another Phantom pilot here. I think he would get a GPS lock on the ship. I do on my boat, but the compass settings would get really screwy with all the metal. I can't imagine the captain or anyone else thinking it would be a good idea. If your talking about taking it on board and then off at port thats a different story.

Edited by Laszlo

Laszlo

Think about it. If the Phantom locks on a GPS position, once it's in the air and hovers, it will travel backwards relative to you as the ship is moving. Then, if a failsafe occurs, and it returns automatically back to GPS Home lock, it will be somewhere in the sea way back ... :) adios drone!

Edit: GPS/ATTI mode would be better probably...

Sent from my iCouch

Edited by Submariner

Cool. Thanks for the link. Wonder if the Govt facetimed the pilot and told him to stop buzzing cruise ships. He did stay pretty far away though. I envisioned the craft 50 feet from the ship.

How large was this craft?

TIA

When they re-introduce skeet shooting off the stern they might just allow drones as well...:rolleyes:

Yeah! :D. It's bad enough people walking around the ship with iPads taking videos of you or walking into you.

Would need a baseball bat incase one came in close.. Whack.. Home run...:D

• 6 months later...

Hi

I was on board the Voyager of the Seas from Singapore to Sydney 25/11/14 cruise and the ship used a drone a number of times out at sea.

the ship was some where in the Barrier reef when the ship turn 180 deg and came to a stop to do an advertising shoot by a drone then again going through the channel at brisbane early in the morning the drone was at it again then again out at sea the ship did another 180 deg turn and headed back up the coast for around an hour before turning back on course so drones are being used by cruise lines. apparently they are going to use it in some company advertising.