Best snorkeling beach

bonvoyaged

We will be with our 2 grand boys, 9 and 12 and they know how to snorkel. I am having a hard time deciding on where would be the best place to spend the day while in port. We would like to have a place to be in the shade while on the beach with chairs and a place to grab a bite to eat for lunch. I have narrowed it down to Play Villa Blanca, Hotel Barracuda, and Playa Corona, but now considering Money Bar. (Open to other suggestions!) We want to have some reef area to snorkel without having to swim a half mile to get to it. Not interested in the National Park.

Thanks for any input!

Bonvoyage

Good snorkeling does not usually go together with good beach - the sand and waves cloud the water and unless there are rocks and reefs you have no where for the little fish to live.

Not familiar with your other options, but the Money Bar offers great snorkeling, equipment rental, guides (if you need them) and good facilities (lockers, etc.) - but no beach. Better snorkeling if the boys are strong enough swimmers to go out farther - I would suggest a snorkel vest for everyone (including you, Dad ;)) to be safe; if nothing else the yellow color will help some of the snorkel tour boats using the area to see/avoid you.

We have hit the Money Bar for a hour or two of snorkeling and then taken a cab to another beach (Paradise Beach would be good for that age) for the rest of the day - something you might consider.

We will be with our 2 grand boys, 9 and 12 and they know how to snorkel. I am having a hard time deciding on where would be the best place to spend the day while in port. We would like to have a place to be in the shade while on the beach with chairs and a place to grab a bite to eat for lunch. I have narrowed it down to Play Villa Blanca, Hotel Barracuda, and Playa Corona, but now considering Money Bar. (Open to other suggestions!) We want to have some reef area to snorkel without having to swim a half mile to get to it. Not interested in the National Park.

Thanks for any input!

Bonvoyage

Check out Playa Uvas.It is located in between Money Bar and Chankanab so the snorkeling is similar. They provide snorkel gear and an hour long guided snorkel tour for $12. That includes use of all the amenities and one drink. They have a good restaurant, loungers and hammocks in the shade and a larger beach area than money bar.

Big fan of the Money Bar. Pretty limited in the beach department, but I love that. I hate the sand. There is a ton of sea life to see (turtles, colorful fish, sea urchins, eels, etc). There is a long pier you can use to get to the water, or take the steps straight from your table into the water. Umbrellas and chairs free of charge. Reasonably priced food and drinks. Snorkel equipment and a locker available for cheap.

I think on our last stay we spent maybe $30 including taxi fare and kept the whole family entertained for nearly the whole Cozumel duration.

Good snorkeling does not usually go together with good beach - the sand and waves cloud the water and unless there are rocks and reefs you have no where for the little fish to live..

This is so very true. Great reply!

LuLu

We've done Money Bar and we've also done Chankanaab. Honestly with young kids I would recommend Chankanaab. There was more fish and the more to see. The current was not as bad and you did not have boats coming up constantly. The boats do not pay attention to those in the water.

While I would not hesitate to go back to Money Bar with just husband and myself, I wouldn't go there with kids.