New San Francisco Cruise Terminal Photos

trbarton

My family on the ship now reports that the Glacier Bay cruising has been cancelled and replaced with Tracy Arm. There is apparently a $100 onboard credit.

They were disappointed since they booked the "Inside Passage with Glacier Bay" cruise because they wanted to see Glacier Bay.

What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away.:mad:

Does your family confirm removal of Glacier Bay is a direct result of the delayed SF departure? Reason I ask is because Juneau and Skagway are scheduled stops (Wed/Thur) before Glacier Bay on Friday. It's hard to imagine a 5-6 hour late sail from SF on Sunday would affect Glacier Bay on Friday. Are their Juneau and Skagway stops affected or altered in any ways?

I stand corrected. The ships cam last night said headed to Juneau, which was originally scheduled for today. Now the cam says headed to Ketchikan. So it appears the entire itinerary has been revised.

I disagree, I think a new terminal WILL increase cruise ships to SF. With a nice, modern terminal and (hopefully) a better embarkation/debarkation process, this will improve the experience for passengers in San Francisco. With a better experience comes higher demand. It sounds like the new terminal is off to a bit of a rocky start, but that should be improved because the terminal is better than what pier 35 has.

Thanks for posting the great pictures. As more people use the terminal over the next few weeks I hope we will see additional reports of how the process is working, and hopefully see improvements.

One of the things we really enjoy is having our first lunch on board be a "served" lunch in one of the Main Dining Rooms (MDRs), so I am saddened to hear that boardings have been taking so long since the MDR typically closes at 1:30 PM.

Just heard the Grand opening may be delayed a bit, or maybe not. The Grand Princess expects to now arrive at 12:00 on the 25th. The Grand ran into some weather and now is arriving late. No biggie, except less time to explore the city by a few hours.

I got this info from someone that is on board the Grand right now

I stand corrected. The ships cam last night said headed to Juneau, which was originally scheduled for today. Now the cam says headed to Ketchikan. So it appears the entire itinerary has been revised.

They called me from Ketchikan today. The ship will be in port until 2:00; the excursion folks have been very busy trying to keep up. At least they got to dock instead of tender in as originally scheduled.

I disagree, I think a new terminal WILL increase cruise ships to SF. With a nice, modern terminal and (hopefully) a better embarkation/debarkation process, this will improve the experience for passengers in San Francisco. With a better experience comes higher demand. It sounds like the new terminal is off to a bit of a rocky start, but that should be improved because the terminal is better than what pier 35 has.

As a fellow Bay Area resident, I hope you're right and I'm wrong!

SF's disadvantage is geographic. Because of the passenger vessel laws (PVSA) they can't sail one-way to Hawaii (only the 14-15 day round trips), it's too cold to sail North from October to April, leaving only the California Coast and Mexico during the Winter. And to go to Mexico from SF (round trip) requires a 10 night cruise (or longer) to really hit the major ports (Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, etc), unlike ships leaving from LA or San Diego who can cover all those stops in just 7 days. So most of your cruises from SF have to be 10 days or more just to be able to get anywhere of significance and back again due to the distance involved (exception the 7 day Coastal cruises Princess operates in Spring/Fall). And the longer the cruise, the smaller market base you have to work with. A new cruise terminal, I believe, won't change/improve those dynamics.

As a fellow Bay Area resident, I hope you're right and I'm wrong!

SF's disadvantage is geographic. Because of the passenger vessel laws (PVSA) they can't sail one-way to Hawaii (only the 14-15 day round trips), it's too cold to sail North from October to April, leaving only the California Coast and Mexico during the Winter. And to go to Mexico from SF (round trip) requires a 10 night cruise (or longer) to really hit the major ports (Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, etc), unlike ships leaving from LA or San Diego who can cover all those stops in just 7 days. So most of your cruises from SF have to be 10 days or more just to be able to get anywhere of significance and back again due to the distance involved (exception the 7 day Coastal cruises Princess operates in Spring/Fall). And the longer the cruise, the smaller market base you have to work with. A new cruise terminal, I believe, won't change/improve those dynamics.

Yes, these are all disadvantages, I won't dispute that. But on the plus side, Princess has for several years now had enough demand to homeport a ship YEAR ROUND. I think this is a significant achievement! They've been creative by coming up with roundtrip coastal cruises and round trip Hawaii cruises, something they didn't do before, to go with their Alaska and Mexico runs. Pricing actual seems to be pretty good (from Princess' perspective), so hopefully the new terminal can only enhance their product offering. I'd like to see other cruises lines enter this market. Celebrity is "testing the water" with a few round trip Alaska cruises and 2 Panama Canal cruises. Hopefully the new terminal will encourage them to add more cruises. As I annually do a Princess repo coastal to or from Vancouver, it would be nice to get some other cruise lines and ships involved. The more choices, the better!!

You guys are scarring me. I have only been on one cruise and check in process and disembarkation process was very smooth. The check in process in Copenhagen took an entire 30 minutes from the time we left the taxi until we were in our room. We were given a time to leave the ship but when we got there we were told we did not have to wait, we could just leave the group and walk off. Did not even take 10 minutes to get luggage and a taxi.

On the plus side, Princess has for several years now had enough demand to homeport a ship YEAR ROUND. I think this is a significant achievement! They've been creative by coming up with roundtrip coastal cruises and round trip Hawaii cruises, something they didn't do before, to go with their Alaska and Mexico runs.

And that's a testament to Princess and probably why this thread even got posted on this board, even though it more appropriately belongs somewhere like the West Coast Departures board where it would reach a broader audience. But let's give Princess their due respect for sticking their financial neck out by being the only line to home port a ship here. ;)

And that's a testament to Princess and probably why this thread even got posted on this board, even though it more appropriately belongs somewhere like the West Coast Departures board where it would reach a broader audience. But let's give Princess their due respect for sticking their financial neck out by being the only line to home port a ship here. ;)

I totally agree and I'm happy to continue to support Princess as a cruise line for being so creative with their itineraries!

Rich,

I am not a union member, I work with Metro Shore Services as an agent. We wear the blue suits and red ties. The porters are members of the ILWU or Longshoremen's Union. They are very well paid. I do not know what other ports in the US also have ILWU porters, but would New York would be one for sure. Where ever there is a strong union presence in a city/state you can assume there will be union members working the pier. IE: Philly, Baltimore, Boston, etc. but I have no information about the other piers.

Tipping a couple bucks per bag is what I usually do myself, but I will NOT be intimidated or bullied into giving them more. Like I have said....ALWAYS get their number from their vest if they try to extort money from you. Give the information to a check-in agent and they will pass it on to the Chief Porter. They do take action, but they need the information first. Don't say anything to the porter, just make note of his number.

Rich,

I am not a union member, I work with Metro Shore Services as an agent. We wear the blue suits and red ties. The porters are members of the ILWU or Longshoremen's Union. They are very well paid. I do not know what other ports in the US also have ILWU porters, but would New York would be one for sure. Where ever there is a strong union presence in a city/state you can assume there will be union members working the pier. IE: Philly, Baltimore, Boston, etc. but I have no information about the other piers.

Tipping a couple bucks per bag is what I usually do myself, but I will NOT be intimidated or bullied into giving them more. Like I have said....ALWAYS get their number from their vest if they try to extort money from you. Give the information to a check-in agent and they will pass it on to the Chief Porter. They do take action, but they need the information first. Don't say anything to the porter, just make note of his number.

Rich:

Do you know what caused all of the problems on Sunday with the Star? There were people in line for at least 2 hrs. plus there have been questions raised about seniors and other people with difficulties having to stand for 2 hrs. Thank god it didn't rain. Perhaps there are some kinks with the new building that need to be worked out. I guess Princess cruisers with Priority Boarding don't have any special privileges until we get past the security check point and only at check in. Before that were just in the line with everyone else.

Thanks for your input.

Tom:)

With the new terminal Perhaps it could be helpful to get the Metro Services management to agree to a meeting with some of the Bay Area CC members to address some of the questions and concerns that some of our CC members have. I do have a contact person with Metro Shore Services and if people think such a meeting would be helpful I would be willing to try and arrange such a meeting here in the city.

Tom:)

...SF's disadvantage is geographic. Because of the passenger vessel laws (PVSA) they can't sail one-way to Hawaii (only the 14-15 day round trips), it's too cold to sail North from October to April, leaving only the California Coast and Mexico during the Winter. And to go to Mexico from SF (round trip) requires a 10 night cruise (or longer) to really hit the major ports (Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, etc), unlike ships leaving from LA or San Diego who can cover all those stops in just 7 days. So most of your cruises from SF have to be 10 days or more just to be able to get anywhere of significance and back again due to the distance involved (exception the 7 day Coastal cruises Princess operates in Spring/Fall). And the longer the cruise, the smaller market base you have to work with. A new cruise terminal, I believe, won't change/improve those dynamics.

A bit OT: One SF R/T I think might do well would be a 7-nighter to Cabo with an overnight there. Princess has a couple of 5-nighters next year doing this from LA, so should be able to do them from SF in 7.

Edited by Ryndam2002

Rich,

Thanks for the clarification. I have been lucky in that I have never had a porter even hint about giving a tip, maybe because I always give them something. I also try to be courteous towards them & maybe that helps. Glad that they make good $$; I don't envy them humping those heavy pieces of luggage all the time.

I was honored to be apart of the Bon Voyage Party and the Grand Opening of the James R Herman Cruise Terminal, Pier 27. I was joined by CC members Mary & Kevin who along with myself enjoyed the ceremony.

There were many speakers including the Port Director, Monique Moyer, along with SF Mayor Ed Lee. Also there was Bruce Krumrine VP of Shore Operations with Princess Cruises. Other speakers represented various city departments and other groups involved with the creation of the New Cruise Terminal. The mayor mentioned about being “On Tine & On Budget”.

It was a tribute to honor so many people that made the New Terminal become a reality.

This was not a time to address any CC concerns but to celebrate the event. We were blessed with good weather after the much needed rain last night.

I was able to witness the arrival of the Grand Princess as it arrived, late due to strong weather coming from Canada. I observed the ship as it was being turned around so that the ship could pull straight out. People that I talked with departing the Grand mentioned about the strong waves coming from Canada which made the delay.

Afterwards there was a nice reception inside the terminal. Remember DO NOT take any photos of the security area as they will take and erase your memory card.

I also talked to 2 ladies on our MUNI who, when I talked about the long lines on Sunday, suggested that if you are Elite of have Priority Boarding to go to the head of the line and show your boarding pass to get entrance into the terminal. If you have experience with entering the new terminal please report what happened for other CC members.

My Photos will follow.

SF Tom:)

IMG_1231_zpsd2cef06a.jpg

Mayor Ed Lee with the Port Director on the right.

DSC_0033_zps83717ab8.jpg

Anybody looking for there luggage?

DSC_0036_zps27223a93.jpg

Everybody Happy!!!

DSC_0037_zps89ae91f3.jpg

Port Director, Monique Moyer being interviewed.

IMG_1232_zps8c461b09.jpg

With red tie, Bruce Krumrine, V.P. Shore operations, Princess Cruises

DSC_0038_zps388e70d2.jpg

SF Tom

Regarding TRBarton's comment about showing your Elite card to gain priority entrance at SF Piers...

This does not happen.

Passengers all are in one line until they pass through Security/X-Ray. That is why the lines on the 20th were hours long at one point for everyone, regardless of status.

Once inside, there are priority check-in lines and a seating area with refreshments, but until you are inside...pack a lunch and bring a good book.

Regarding TRBarton's comment about showing your Elite card to gain priority entrance at SF Piers...

This does not happen.

Passengers all are in one line until they pass through Security/X-Ray. That is why the lines on the 20th were hours long at one point for everyone, regardless of status.

Once inside, there are priority check-in lines and a seating area with refreshments, but until you are inside...pack a lunch and bring a good book.

Thank you for saying that about showing your Elite card to gain entrance. That would certainly start a lot of arguments for those that have been in line. Port security, from what I understand, is not run by Princess.