Zuiderdam - Tortola... tender or dock ?

jfishe

Hi - We'll be on the Zuiderdam in August for the Eastern Caribbean. I was just wondering (for time purposes !) if the Zuiderdam docked in Road Town, or if it used the tenders. Thanks in advance !

*** Jodie ***

"is it happy hour yet ?"

It could do either. If you are planning a non-ship shore excursion, think tender because there can always be last minute changes. For example, the Volendam (1/04)was supposed to dock at St. Thomas, but we ended up anchored and tendering.

This past week (disembarked yesterday, the ground is still swaying under me!), we docked in both Tortola and St. Thomas.

HMC was the only time we had to tender all week. (Thankfully. I'm not a big fan of those hot little crowded boats!)

Zuiderdam, June 5

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

The bigger question is did they reverse the itinerary? I read a post on this board some time ago that they went to Tortola first then St. Thomas for some reason. I guess it was supposed to mobbed in port do this worked better. EXCEPT, everyone had to go see Customs at 7 AM. When you are on vacation, that stinks.

Did you do any snorkeling excursions? really looking forward to that.

Rob

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;8;28;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Zuiderdam and our 26th Anniversary

SeaEscape 12/82

SS Norway 12/86

Emerald Seas 12/89

Sovereign of the Seas 3/91?

Majesty of the Seas 10/96

(The trip to Hell & Back!)

Majesty of the Seas 3/97

(Make-up for Above!)

SS Norway 9/01 "Farewell

Voyage"

Explorer 8/30/03-Cabin 1688

We too just came back from the Z-dam Eastern Caribbean last week. The original itinerary was switched so that Tortola was first (Tuesday) and St. Thomas was second (Wednesday). We knew about this a few weeks ahead thanks to our TA but I can't say if it was due to an expected over-abundance of other ships in those ports on the original days. The ship docked in both ports.

We did the Virgin Gorda tour from Tortola and loved it but it was too short. We did snorkel at the Baths and it was great but there was no supervision and being novices we didn't stray too far from shore. If you don't bring your own snorkel gear, you can rent from the bar on the beach and also rent a 1-time use locker for your clothes, shoes, etc. It's really a beautiful spot and would recommend it.

Holiday 7/96

Fantasy 6/98

Elation 7/02

Zuiderdam 6/04

Does anyone know if this is a permanent change? HAL website still does not reflect this.

Rob

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;8;28;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Zuiderdam and our 26th Anniversary

SeaEscape 12/82

SS Norway 12/86

Emerald Seas 12/89

Sovereign of the Seas 3/91?

Majesty of the Seas 10/96

(The trip to Hell & Back!)

Majesty of the Seas 3/97

(Make-up for Above!)

SS Norway 9/01 "Farewell

Voyage"

Explorer 8/30/03-Cabin 1688