UDP and platinum - PLEASE EXPLAIN!!!

asand5554

I know this has been discussed before, and I promise I did search, but couldn't find the answer.

Both DH and I are platinum, and I know that we are each entitled to dinner for two with a bottle of wine (approximate value of $70 if purchased). If we decide to purchase the UDP, I thought I read that the credit is $20 off of one plan. Hardly seems like fair deal.

Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Margi

I know this has been discussed before, and I promise I did search, but couldn't find the answer.

Both DH and I are platinum, and I know that we are each entitled to dinner for two with a bottle of wine (approximate value of $70 if purchased). If we decide to purchase the UDP, I thought I read that the credit is $20 off of one plan. Hardly seems like fair deal.

Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Margi

If you are platinum it is $99 instead of $119 for a 7 day cruise. I don't know about unfair? You don't have to buy it. In the beginning they didn't offer any discount, that was unfair. They fixed that pretty fast.

We take it anyway. The five nights we use it at least break even and usually come out ahead.

Fair?

Make sense?

Discount?

I don't get why people buy it at all. There is not a big discount. If you buy it, you feel like you MUST use it every night.

In the end, maybe you want to do room service, or Blue Lagoon, or MDR or Buffet one or two nights. Yes? No?

Fair?

Make sense?

Discount?

I don't get why people buy it at all. There is not a big discount. If you buy it, you feel like you MUST use it every night.

In the end, maybe you want to do room service, or Blue Lagoon, or MDR or Buffet one or two nights. Yes? No?

We eat in the specialties every night whether they have UDP or not. So, it makes sense for us. Not everyone though. Different strokes etc.:D

You are pretty much forced to on NCL if you want decent food and service. The MDR's have nosedived in quality and service.

You know, it's wasn't the food that drove us to the specialties, is was the ambiance and quiet. Most of them are significantly more peaceful. And the food is good for sure, but we never found the MDR's to be bad.

You are pretty much forced to on NCL if you want decent food and service. The MDR's have nosedived in quality and service.

Actually our food in the MDR has been pretty good for years. Including last week. ;)

As others have stated though, we like the ambiance of specialty restaurants.

Don't find much reason to book UDP though.

Edited by Cubechick

Even if you think you will do speciality every single night, how much do you save to book in advance?

Why not just wait and pay when you want, or not if you don't?

Don't know why u r trying to force your opinion on everyone else that yours is the only correct choice. You stated your opinion in your earlier post, others stated theirs, the OP thanked everyone and made his/her choice, move on. You are an experienced cruiser, most of the other posters in this thread are also very experienced and everyone has come to their own decision to UDP or not. You aren't being rude but why try to shoot down other posters opinions after the OP has already basically ended the thread.

And actually if you do decide specialty every night, you do save a few bucks (except if you do the La Cucina every night) and I don't think you have to pre-book every meal in advance and you can still decide once on board to switch things around or make bookings the morning of.

Keep in mind that because of UDP (or maybe also because such a big ship), it was near impossible to get or change a reservation for most of the speciality restaurants by the 2nd morning of our 7 day BA cruise two weeks ago. Everything was sold out!

With a UDP you can order off any Specialty menu and have it served in your Suite, we might do that at least one night and by careful choice of the starter and main should have a great night. I wonder if we can order Moderno? Possibly not....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keep in mind that because of UDP (or maybe also because such a big ship), it was near impossible to get or change a reservation for most of the speciality restaurants by the 2nd morning of our 7 day BA cruise two weeks ago. Everything was sold out!

Does anyone know if you an book on line and use the free dinner coupon to pay for the meal? I'm thinking not being able to get ressies or having to book online takes away rather than enhances freestyle for me.

You know, it's wasn't the food that drove us to the specialties, is was the ambiance and quiet. Most of them are significantly more peaceful. And the food is good for sure, but we never found the MDR's to be bad.

Agreed. The MDR food isn't horrible, but the service and noise are usually horrid. Eating in a stressful environment makes the food taste worse I think.

Don't know why u r trying to force your opinion on everyone else that yours is the only correct choice. You stated your opinion in your earlier post, others stated theirs, the OP thanked everyone and made his/her choice, move on. You are an experienced cruiser,...

As I wipe the wet noodles from my forehead, I will retreat to the far corners of the MDR to drink my wine.

(yes, I may have pushed my thoughts a bit far on this and apologize as appropriate)

As I wipe the wet noodles from my forehead, I will retreat to the far corners of the MDR to drink my wine.

Funniest post of the morning! I don't know if you pushed your thoughts too far, but I always enjoy reading your posts and appreciate your opinions :)