Flight gets into Miami - Cruise leaves out of Fort Lauderdale - ur opinion pls

prchoudh

My flight gets into Miami at 7 p.m.. I was thinking of some options..

1. Stay at the Miami Hilton for 104 and then rent a car the next day from Miami to Ft Lauderdale and catch the cruise. If I choose this option, how do I get from the car rental agency to the port?

2. Stay at Miami Hilton for 104 and then catch the Royal Caribbean Shuttle to the port (this costs us $70 roundtrip).

3. Find some way to get to Fort Lauderdale once we land in Miami and spend the night in at a hotel in Fort Lauderdale. If we do this, I would prefer a non-shared ride and would like to catch it from the Miami Airport.

In many ways, I like the concept of renting a car because there is always something I need to get before getting on the ship. However, in the past when I have planned to have a taxi take me somewhere (like to Target) it winds up costing a fortune and then I think it was a mistake. I have been to Miami several times to take cruises. I have only driven that town once and therefore am not excited about a renting a car once we land and then getting in a car and trying to get to the hotel in Fort Lauderdale.

The Miami Hilton near MIA is in the Blue Lagoon area - only about a 5-10 minute walk from a local strip mall with grocery, drug and liquor stores. :D If you do not want to make the walk the hotel shuttle should be happy to take you there and back for an appropriate tip. If they won't then cancel your reservation and stay down the block at the Homewood Suites (still Hilton family) who will.

Many of the car rental agencies at FLL or near the port offer free shuttles to Port Everglades; if you get a good deal on a car from someone who does not a taxi to PE will run $15 or less.

Depending upon what hotel in the FLL area you choose, a taxi from MIA will run about $80+ and then you still need to get to PE the next morning. Car service will cost the same or more and shared shuttle service will run about $30-40 each.

The cruise transfer is not a bad option for you - no hassle with gas, dropping the rental car off, another shuttle, etc. and the $70 is likely not much more than what your total cost for the rental will be. Good luck! :)

If you rent a car if memory serves me correctly Budget or Dollar has a location right outside the entrance to the port with free shuttle to the port.

I did it 5 years ago and we got lucky. When we returned the rental they just jumped in the car and took us to the port, said they weren't busy and it was easier for them.

The Miami Hilton near MIA is in the Blue Lagoon area - only about a 5-10 minute walk from a local strip mall with grocery, drug and liquor stores. :D If you do not want to make the walk the hotel shuttle should be happy to take you there and back for an appropriate tip. If they won't then cancel your reservation and stay down the block at the Homewood Suites (still Hilton family) who will.

Many of the car rental agencies at FLL or near the port offer free shuttles to Port Everglades; if you get a good deal on a car from someone who does not a taxi to PE will run $15 or less.

Depending upon what hotel in the FLL area you choose, a taxi from MIA will run about $80+ and then you still need to get to PE the next morning. Car service will cost the same or more and shared shuttle service will run about $30-40 each.

The cruise transfer is not a bad option for you - no hassle with gas, dropping the rental car off, another shuttle, etc. and the $70 is likely not much more than what your total cost for the rental will be. Good luck! :)

Thanks for the tip. I was able to look it up on Google Maps and found the Hyatt place even closer to the Publix, Starbucks and such. So, I cancelled Hilton and went with the Hyatt.