How difficult to get good private excursions on last minute cruise?

Considering keeping dates open for next year's summer cruise season to take advantage of last minute sales to the Caribbean or Alaska. But, I'm a planner and would like to know how difficult is it to get reservations on decent port excursions? We prefer private ones because they are smaller than the ships and usually much cheaper.

And, for those of you who have reserve an Alaska cruise last minute did the cost savings outweigh the the airfares? We're from NW Ohio if that matters.

Thanks for your help!

In the Carribean it's not that hard...especially since if they are "giving away" the cruise last minute, it's probably not a busy time in the islands, and there are many good options.

In Europe or Ak, it's harder. The best guides can book over a year in advance. I tried to book one of the top guides in Budapest 10 months out and she was booked. Luckily, I was able to book her protégée, a guide who also gets excellent reviews. But the top guides who get the best reviews who take small groups will have strong bookings well ahead anywhere. There are last minute cancellations though, so it's worth a try. We enjoy Calabaza in Barbados, and booked it 1 year in advance, and at the time we booked she was nearly full to her 12 person capacity, but since then someone on our RC cancelled. If you have a dream excursion or guide in mind, you could miss out, but there are plenty of folks who can provide a great experience for you!

If you're serious about Alaska, I'd check the BOGOHO prices for 2015 and invest some deposit money to secure a date at a price you could live with. Then follow all the prices this summer - cruise, air, transfers, hotels - and see what happens.

I'm booking for eight people in three cabins with small children, so there's no way I want to throw together a last minute cruise. Right now there is a deal on Jul 11, 2015, Radiance that would save me $150/pp, but those savings would be quickly eaten up by higher air and transfer prices in addition to a poorer cabin selection.

Thanks for the ideas. I had booked Calabaza two years ago for a spring cruise that fell through and am familiar with their quality. All of my cruise research has been for the Caribbean so I knew some islands had lots to offer and some didn't as far as private excursions.