Disney Cruise vs Disney World

amallison

My husband and I are debating about which to do in February 2015. We have two kids, ages at the time will be 4 & 6. Neither kid has ever been to WDW or on a cruise so either would be a first. Based on our research, both would cost right around the same amount. We would have to drive or fly no matter which we choose.

It's more like, I would love to do a cruise because being on the water is my absolute favorite thing and the hubby would rather do WDW.

Which do you prefer? Disney Cruise or Disney World?

This is a question I had just out of curiosity and thought to post on here to get thoughts and opinions. DH & I have never sailed on a Disney cruise so we have no experience with the cruise line, but we have been to WDW.

If money allows, spend a day or two at WDW before the cruise!

But if that's too expensive, I would go for the cruise. I think its more relaxing and feels more like a vacation. Everything is basically taken care of for you. Plus you get to see so many different places. But then again, Disney World is just as fun with all the parks.

Tough decision. I would go for the cruise, but you can't go wrong with either.

My husband and I are debating about which to do in February 2015. We have two kids, ages at the time will be 4 & 6. Neither kid has ever been to WDW or on a cruise so either would be a first. Based on our research, both would cost right around the same amount. We would have to drive or fly no matter which we choose.

It's more like, I would love to do a cruise because being on the water is my absolute favorite thing and the hubby would rather do WDW.

Which do you prefer? Disney Cruise or Disney World?

This is a question I had just out of curiosity and thought to post on here to get thoughts and opinions. DH & I have never sailed on a Disney cruise so we have no experience with the cruise line, but we have been to WDW.

I love Disney Cruising and always have had a great time, but our vacations in WDW are absolutely the best vacations ever. If your children have never been to WDW, I would do that first. The look on their faces when they stand at the top of Main Street seeing Cinderella's castle for the first time is priceless. WDW is go go go and so much to see and do. The cruise is fun and relaxing, but my kids never wanted to relax, they wanted everything disney which I feel you get the most of at the parks.

If you split land and sea, that is an option, but to me, the first time at the parks should be a vacation for at least a week.

Edited by Irene7

Two different things but with Disney characters, WDW lots of walking around, going on rides in hot Florida weather, pay for your meals DCL far more relaxed, some sea days nearly all main food included soda nearly always included except bars, do WDW then DCL to relax

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Three times now we have taken our various grandkids on the cruise package: 4 nights at WDW, 3 on a Disney ship. The package is exceptional...handed our bags off at Orlando Airport, they took to our Disney resort room, then picked up from our room and took to ship. Because you're at a Disney property you can move freely between the parks. And the service on the cruise was great. Last time there were 8 of us, 3 generations, and when we sat down to dinner the server called each of us BY NAME...guess he'd been studying the cheat sheet. Kid's club and onboard shows are great. And every step of the way everyone treated the kids as if they were real people, not a sub-class.

I didn't even think about a combo...I'm sooooo smart! Now off to research that & try to convince the hubby!

Thanks guys & gals I knew y'all would point me in the right direction!

DO NOT book it as a combo thru DCL. Book the WDW stay separately. If you book WDW thru DCL, you pay "rack rate." If you book separately, you can take advantage of any specials that might be available. All parts of the package can be booked separately. If you book DCL transfers to the cruise terminal, they must be added to your cruise reservation (not to the WDW reservation).

Edited by moki'smommy

A combo would be the best, however, if you can't do that then the best option might depend upon when you can travel. If you are able to travel during the slower time in Feburary there is something to be said for having the magical experiences of taking young kids to Disney World for the first time. Your kids would be at such an awesome age to enjoy everything in a way that only young kids can.

My favorite vacation is always going to be on the water, however, I have given that up several times because seeing my son's eyes light up when he sees Dumbo is well worth it.

We did a combo with our kids (3 and 5 at the time). It was actually very stressful to do both. We did only stay two days and one night at WDW, so it might make a difference if you stay longer. We then went on a 4-night Dream cruise. The cruise was amazing! All the Disney fun without heat, lines, etc. We had such a good time, we booked the 7-day Fantasy for our next vacation and it was even better.

My daughter is 9 now and she's been to WDW twice and on a cruise twice. She LOVES Disney World. She likes cruising too, but more now that she's older. Her first Disney trip was when she was 4 - it was absolute magic, I swear. Those are great ages for a first trip to Disney.

Not knocking a cruise, but if you're insisting on ONE at those ages, go for the parks. My daughter's first cruise (NCL) was at 7, she liked it. Then at 8 (CCL), she liked it more. Now we're going in April (she'll be 10) on our first Disney cruise and she's super excited.

Let me preface this by saying that I haven't been on a Disney Cruise (yet), but at your kids' ages, I'd say the WDW trip if they've never been before.

I'd advise against a combo DCL/WDW trip if it's your first visit to the parks. There is so much to see and do at WDW that you'll feel too rushed if you try to cram it all into 2 or 3 days.

Edited by Winston Wolf

Huge WDW and DCL fan here (with a 3.5-year-old). Could you do eight days? 4 days at the parks followed by 4 days on a cruise would be perfect. With kids as young as yours, 4 days at the park is great-- you could do one day per park or, if you park hop, do a day at MK, a day at Epcot, and then half-days at AK and MK and DHS and MK. :) (So much to do at MK for the little ones.) A four day cruise is nice, bc you get that day at sea and don't feel like you JUST got on the ship when it's time to get back off again.

Always do park first. Hard to come back from all u can have everything on cruise to paying for every water/ice cream/snack, etc. I would say if u have to pick for their age--cruise is much more relaxing and fun for all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I also vote for both. Make sure you do the park first as the children will probably be overstimulated and the cruise will allow them to decompress a bit before it is time to get back to reality. The chidlren's areas are amazing aboard the ship, hopefully they will want to spend some time there so you can enjoy the adult areas.

We did a three night cruise after 3 days at Disney, it was a bit crazy. If you can try to take at least a 4 night cruise.

I would do the parks for this trip. Your kids are at such a great age for the "magic" of the parks.

Cruises are great and my preferred way to travel now. But you have to do the parks first in my opinion.

Love when the kids walk in and seeing the castle. If you plan right you can see what ever character is your kids favorite. (not all are on the boats). The parades are great and little ones love them. Same with the night time shows at the castle. Most 6 year olds love the rides.

Unless you have a lot of time I wouldn't do both. I think you need 5 park days with a rest day thrown in to just hang out and swim and maybe do downtown Disney. We do each park once and then do magic kingdom an extra day. If you do decide to do parks and cruise, I would cruise the last days.

I've been to WDW 12 times, my 18 year old has been 10 times (first time at 4 years old), and my 12 year old has been 8 times (first time at 2.5 years). So, you get the picture that I was a diehard WDW person for many years. My kids loved all the trips. My elder even had her senior photos done there.

Then last year we took our first ever cruise, the 4 night on the Dream. Now I don't care if I ever go to WDW again.....I'm hooked on cruising and so are the kids! Still, I am really glad we did all the WDW trips when they were younger. If you can only do one or the other this year, I recommend WDW. Once you try DCL you may never make it to WDW!

We have been to WDW almost annually since it opened, and are Platinum cruisers with DCL. With your children at their ages, here are our comments:

DCL offers a spectacular children's program - one whole deck for the kids plus the kids pool and areas up top; their counselors are terrific. They have a chance to "get away" from mom and dad for a while, allowing you (parents) to have some time on your own in the adult areas of the ship. The Disney characters abound every where on the ships! Typically, you all leave the ship relaxed.

WDW needs at least 5 or 6 days for the first trip; you need to plan a down day after two days in the parks - kids play in the sand, pools, shop, and just relax around the hotel. Then return to the parks. Another recommendation: open the parks early, then leave just before or after lunch and return to the hotel to let the kids nap and relax. Go back into the park after dinner for the night life and fireworks. If you are not careful, you leave your vacation at the parks exhausted!

We recommend against trying to do both for first visit!

What ever you choose, we wish you a "Magical Trip."

• 2 weeks later...

At that age, WDW gets my vote. There's nothing more priceless than seeing your children's faces light up the first time they walk down Main Street USA heading towards the castle. That's a once in a life-time opportunity while they are still "young". Don't try to cram in seeing all four parks during your va/ca. It's way to overwhelming if they've never been. Pick two parks and allow yourself eat least four days so that you're not rushing around. You can always go back in a couple of years and see the others...We waited until our kids were 9 & 7 before we took them on their first Disney Cruise (they've been to WDW several times since they were babies). We didn't have to worry as much about them having separation anxiety from us while they were in the kids club and there were more kids their age that they could connect with. Also, the younger your children are on the cruise, the more limited options you have for excursions as most have an age minimum requirement (don't waste your $$ going to different ports that they might not remember or appreciate at that age). Between the parks and hotels, there's PLENTY to do to keep your family on the go and if you need a "park break" you can always head back to your hotel, enjoy the hotel amenities, mini-golf, beaches, downtown Disney, or the pools (which will be bigger and less crowded than on the cruise ship), and then head back to the parks later in the day when your family is re-charged and able to watch the fire-works with out melting down (and you can save some $$ by not buying every snack at the parks (grab some extra fresh fruit or cereal boxes at breakfast and put them in your hotel room for later)…Get the WDW Dining Meal Package and book a character breakfast, that way you're guaranteed to see some of the charters (they stop at every table) and you won't waste your time in the parks waiting in line to see them (unless of course you're insistent about seeing the Princesses and that can take forever, just like on the cruise ships). Some of the resorts offer night-time baby-sitting in their kids clubs, so you can take advantage of that and enjoy a nice adult dinner and have a date night w/ your spouse.

Whatever you do, have fun, relax, and remember…it's VACATION! : )

If I could do only one or the other - I would choose WDW. However, I have always gone to WDW either before and/or after a Disney cruise. I'll be on the 15-night Magic Transatlantic next May, and I plan to spend a day or two at WDW prior.

If you do the parks then cruise, I highly recommend focusing on the Magic Kingdom and skipping most others because of your kids' ages. There are things for them at all parks, but for your sanity, focus on one if you are taking a short trip. You'll save money too by not needing a park hopper pass.

How tall are the kids?

One of our deciding factors when vacationing with my cousin and her family was that her kids are all on the short side (as is me, she, her husband and most of our family).

The oldest at age 7 would probably be tall enough for all of the rides but then we'd have a 5 year old, a 3 year old and a 1 year old who would not be. I didn't want to have to spend a lot of time switching off or saying no you can't ride that.

With that, plus nap times, and kids menus at WDW (ick), kids who prefer to snack and never seem to finish anything, a large group (there's 9 of us in total), a wheelchair user, 2 adults with back issues, and kids who love waterslides and water play areas more than life itself - it made choosing a cruise much easier than WDW.

Though I love WDW, it's just become more of a hassle than cruising. My planning sheet is full for the trip down and back (how long to drive each day, what time we need to leave the hotels by, where to stay, where to eat, what's around our evening stop to do if we get there early, etc), there are only 2 things on my cruise plan - Cozumel shopping and Castaway Cay beach day. I don't need to plan meals, what time we need to get up in the morning, what we're doing, how to keep the kids occupied, etc. It's all done for me by the Navigator.

Id also say if they've never been to WDW do that first. Our son is almost 6 and he has now been to WDW 7x (3 in the last year) and after this most recent vacation a month ago we did 10 days Disney and 3 days on the Disney Dream (his first ever cruise). We did LOVE the cruise and have already booked another the 7 day the week after thanksgiving after so many WDW visits we are just looking for something a little different. But WDW is so magical, we would never have gone so many times if it wasn't!

WDW: there is SO much to see and do! And if they've never been so much magic to discover. The parks, the rides, the character meals. I would totally recommend doing the Dining plan so you can do as many character meals as you'd like as your table service meals. The pools at every resort are fun for the kids. This is a plus over the cruise line the cruise ship pools are so small and crowded they are just to dip in and cool off. Our son spent 10 days swimming in the Beach club pool endlessly before the cruise! Even the pools at the Value resorts are fun we went in December at the Pop Century and he wanted to swim as much as possible. Our son has been to Disney 7x between 13 months and 5.5 years so he has seen the castle but I know seeing the castle is magical to all kids.

The only things I liked better about the cruise since Ive visited WDW so many times are that is wasn't as crowded, less walking and waiting (of course there is TONS of walking at WDW and lots of waiting) it didn't seem as hot (we visited end of June, cruise early July) bc of the nice sea breeze, the included childcare programs, and the service. The service at WDW hotels and restaurants is great too, but the cruise just seemed to be so catered to serving us. But I think kids should experience WDW first, it is sure to be magical their first time seeing it!