Liberty 6/7-6-15 quick review

Background - Wife and I are 40. She got one of the free cruise letters and we decided we could not pass it up and celebrated our 20th anniversary with a cruise (anniversary is in December) and left the kids at home. Also, upgraded to have a balcony for the first time ever.

Boarding - drove down the morning of the cruise. Arrived at cruise-n-park around 10:30 and was on the ship by 11:30. We literally never stopped walking from the time we got off the shuttle until we reached the counter to set up Sail & Sign. No boarding zones just straight on the boat.

Liberty - cruised the Freedom last year so was familiar with ship lay out. Really liked the Liberty. Cabin was a Lido balcony (9225). Have heard it said and now I will say it, not sure I can go back now that I have had a balcony. Loved spending time out there a different times during the day. Nothing better than a nap in the breeze with the sound of the ocean slapping the side of the ship. Some noise at night from the hall (and one night from our rambunctious neighbors). Don't think this was location related and could happen on any hall. If you are looking for a quiet spot to read or nap, check out the decks outside the atrium lobby. Shaded with a few lounge chairs and very few people around.

Dining room - Had YTD for the first time and it worked out fine. Most nights we ate early around 6 and would have to wait to be seated but only 10 minutes or so. Never had to be issued a pager. First time time with the American table menu and liked it ok. Not too much different from the old menu's in my opinion. Dining took 90 minutes most nights. One night we were done in 1.25 hrs. One night, we noticed the maitre'd getting on to our head waiter because we had been waiting a while for our main course. They did their best to speed things up after that and checked on us several times. We hadn't complained and was fine with it either way. Some of the things we had were: grilled mahi, pork chop, short ribs, prime rib (with a side of lobster tail - always), pork loin, beef wellington. Enjoyed it all. Had melting cake most nights for dessert. The first night it was way undercooked but I would sop it up with a biscuit it that is what it took. It is always good.

Guys burgers - quick service and really good burger with nice bar of trimmings. Ate there several times and really enjoyed it.

Burrito bar - great breakfast, didn't eat lunch there

Buffets - never a long wait and food was good. Is it just me or are most of the desserts on the buffet just bland tasting? There is always ice cream.

Grand Turk - spent the day at Margaritaville. Enjoyable, about what you would expect

St. Thomas - did a tour with Sonny Liston. Elvis was our driver. Very informative, loud music, and very upbeat. Visited the major sites. Elvis asked about what beach everyone wanted to visit and we were the only ones that wanted Meagans bay. He dropped us off there and took the others to Coki. Actually snorkeled and saw several large tarpon. One of them was probabaly 5'. Great service.

Tortola - Visited the Baths through carnival (since it was a 40 minute boat ride). Beautiful place. Traveling through the baths was moderately difficult. Had to climb some steps and over some boulders but was well worth it when we popped out on the other side.

St. Maarten - toured with Bernard's tours. The mailman was our driver. Don't think it could have been any better. Made 3 stops or so for photos and was very informative. Spend about 2 hours at Orient Bay Beach and then about 30 minutes at Maho. Saw several plains land included the big Air France jet. Did tour #2 which does not include shopping and we didn't have any time left to shop on our own at the end of the tour.

Really a great cruise. A few things that are worth mentioning. Not good or bad just are:

1. Opened doors that lead to the cabins around 12:30 but all the cabins were not done. We had to stand in the hall while our steward searched the drawers to verify nothing was left and finished a couple other items.

2. One hot tub in the main lido area was closed all week

3. Interactive portion of the tv was sporadic and down a lot of the time

4. Comedy club - get there early if you want seat

5. Wore insect repellant but only saw one mosquito. It was on the bus in St. Maarten

No such thing as a back cruise in my opinion but this one was one of the best. I will be glad to try to answer any questions

Edited by waitingpatiently

Buffets - never a long wait and food was good. Is it just me or are most of the desserts on the buffet just bland tasting? There is always ice cream.

Finally realized after several less than great desserts on the Lido that I don't eat dessert for lunch at home, so why do it on a cruise? The key lime pie was good, but not much else. I'd rather save room at dinner from WCMC or have some ice cream in the afternoon.

I have read great things about the room service chocolate cake and I may order that.

Thanks for the review. I'm hoping we like the new menu, but I've seen that many of the things I like are still available. I don't think we will starve!