Australia Zoo, Beerah

Has anyone visited this Zoo during a Brisbane port stop? It looks an amazing place :)

We lived on the Sunshine Coast (where the Zoo is located) for 22 years and only left recently. Australia Zoo is definitely worth visiting. I don't know which ship you will be on but I know Princess usually have tours there. You could also get in touch with the zoo itself and find out where the nearest stop is for their free shuttle bus. They have free coaches that go to hotels and offer free pickups. Beerwah is about 45 mins to 1 hour away from the port, depending on traffic.

Dorset Cruisers signature has Arcadia, which means they will dock at the Multi Function Facility at the Grain Terminal at Fishermans Island .From there it would probably be best to book the ships tour to the Zoo.

Dorset Cruisers signature has Arcadia, which means they will dock at the Multi Function Facility at the Grain Terminal at Fishermans Island .From there it would probably be best to book the ships tour to the Zoo.

If that's the case then yes it would be better for them to do the ships tour.

We live about 20 minutes from Australia Zoo and regularly make the trip to and from Brisbane.

Seeing as Arcadia docks at Fisherman's Island aka Grain Terminal, I think it would be best to take a ship's tour.

While the trip by road takes about and hour if you get a good run, if there is an accident or breakdown this can add a lot of time to your trip. While you would have to be unlucky, it can and does happen and if you are on your way back to the ship a delay is not something you want if you are travelling independently.

It can also depend on the day of the week as well. If you are arriving on a Saturday or Sunday there will be a lot more traffic heading up the highway to the Sunshine Coast beaches in the morning and vice versa in the afternoon.

There is a train that stops near the zoo and the shuttle from the zoo picks up passengers, but you would have to get to a station and I think that would be an expensive option in a taxi.

We docked at the Grain Terminal when on Arcadia in 2013 and it is a long way out of town and a taxi cost us $50 one way to meet up with family at the 'proper' cruise terminal at Portside.

While a trip to Australia Zoo is certainly doable on your own, IMO it would be more relaxing to go on a ship's tour.

We are boarding Arcadia in Southampton and disembarking in Brisbane next year so will be on the same cruise. I would offer to drive you to the zoo on our way home, but that would leave you stranded on the return :eek:

I hope you enjoy your stay in Brisbane whichever you choose to do.

Another thing about taking the ships tour in this case , is that the Zoo will be expecting you an will probably organise any "feeding times...shows etc " to fit in with your programme.

Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary is also a good choice and would give you some time for sightseeing around Brisbane.

We live about 20 minutes from Australia Zoo and regularly make the trip to and from Brisbane.

Seeing as Arcadia docks at Fisherman's Island aka Grain Terminal, I think it would be best to take a ship's tour.

While the trip by road takes about and hour if you get a good run, if there is an accident or breakdown this can add a lot of time to your trip. While you would have to be unlucky, it can and does happen and if you are on your way back to the ship a delay is not something you want if you are travelling independently.

It can also depend on the day of the week as well. If you are arriving on a Saturday or Sunday there will be a lot more traffic heading up the highway to the Sunshine Coast beaches in the morning and vice versa in the afternoon.

There is a train that stops near the zoo and the shuttle from the zoo picks up passengers, but you would have to get to a station and I think that would be an expensive option in a taxi.

We docked at the Grain Terminal when on Arcadia in 2013 and it is a long way out of town and a taxi cost us $50 one way to meet up with family at the 'proper' cruise terminal at Portside.

While a trip to Australia Zoo is certainly doable on your own, IMO it would be more relaxing to go on a ship's tour.

We are boarding Arcadia in Southampton and disembarking in Brisbane next year so will be on the same cruise. I would offer to drive you to the zoo on our way home, but that would leave you stranded on the return :eek:

I hope you enjoy your stay in Brisbane whichever you choose to do.

Think, from what you say, we will see if the ship does a tour. I watched a television programme the other night about the tiger keeper at the zoo who hand reared two tiger cubs, Stripe and Spot, and it made me think that a visit would be good. Looked at the train and bus timetables but we would need to get into town to do either. How doable is the koala sanctuary?

I'm sure we will like Brisbane. It will be our third time in Australia - we love it!

We did Southampton to Sydney on Aurora last year and extended the holiday with a week in Melbourne. We had a great time and are looking forward to Arcadia next year 😄

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD