Douro River Cruise Company Choice

donaldsc

We are fortunate to have traveled a lot and know all is not perfect. Not our first river cruise and know that food options are much different on these smaller ships than the larger ones. They have to be!

I have read several comments about, not just Ama Waterways, about Duoro understaffing. I do hope that problem is resolved.

I can tell you that for 13 years, I worked for a boutique European Hotel company. When I was staying in house, they all knew I was there. Everyone was on their best "behavior"!

We are looking forward to our Ama experience. Our last river cruise was Uniworld and we enjoyed it very much.

We did the Douro 3 years ago with Vantage. Dealing with them was a nightmare ( never gain) . Once on the boat it was fantastic, a cruise we will remember. You must like wine. Our mornings started with breakfast and Mamosa,s. Then it was off to excursions which was wine related and back on the boat it was all about wine again, (they did not stop pouring). We had a group of 6 from Calif. wine country and all agreed we needed to dry out after this trip. Have fun

We did the Douro in 2013 with Vantage. Overall, we enjoyed the trip but will probably not travel with Vantage again. One morning on the ship, several people we spoke with reported being ill. I talked to the Vantage guide, who assured me it was "only a few people" and nothing to worry about. Neither Vantage nor the ship made any announcements or made any acknowledgement of the problem nor did they take the usual precautions when there is illness onboard. Except for one meal, they continued with the buffet meals where people served themselves using common utensils so understaffing may have played a part. Within a few days, so many people were sick that one of the three tour buses had to be given over to the ill tour members so that they could go immediately to the next hotel. We never did get any information on what the cause was although they did bring a doctor on board-finally- to attend to the sick. We could understand that stuff happens and people sometimes have gotten sick on trips but the "head in the sand" mentality was definitely new. Norovirus, food poisoning, unsafe water-we'll never know. We were never sure whether the responsibility was with Vantage or the cruise line. I made a complaint to Vantage in the post tour questionnaire, but significantly never got any response from their management.

If you do the early booking Uniworld, by 10/31 and pay the cruise amount in full, at the time of booking, there is another large discount which can make the Uniworld price less than the others. We are taking Uniworld on the Douro next September, and doing it for less than either the Viking or AMA quote.

I'm currently looking at a possible river cruise in Sept/Oct 2015, and the Douro is on the list, along with France. I'm sticking with southern routes, since we'd rather be somewhere warm(ish).

But when I look at the Lisbon to Porto 11-day itinerary, I see a minimum price of $4599 on the Oct. 8th sailing, $5524 for category 1 cabin. So where did the OP get prices like $3699? (And yes, I know there are early booking savings if I book by Saturday, $600-800.)

I also don't see a "cruise only" option on their website--the 11 days includes several days in Lisbon first.

Now, when I look at the AMA prices, I see $3699/4449 minimum cabin, $4798/5548 minimum balcony, cruise-only/cruise&land.

What am I missing? Have prices risen so much since the OP's original posting?

I'm currently looking at a possible river cruise in Sept/Oct 2015, and the Douro is on the list, along with France. I'm sticking with southern routes, since we'd rather be somewhere warm(ish).

But when I look at the Lisbon to Porto 11-day itinerary, I see a minimum price of $4599 on the Oct. 8th sailing, $5524 for category 1 cabin. So where did the OP get prices like $3699? (And yes, I know there are early booking savings if I book by Saturday, $600-800.)

I also don't see a "cruise only" option on their website--the 11 days includes several days in Lisbon first.

Now, when I look at the AMA prices, I see $3699/4449 minimum cabin, $4798/5548 minimum balcony, cruise-only/cruise&land.

What am I missing? Have prices risen so much since the OP's original posting?

I am also looking at possibly doing the Douro river cruise.

We've cruised twice with AmaWaterways, and are quite happy.

However, we thought it would be nice to try Uniworld for our next river cruise.

When I compared the Douro river prices Uniworld was MUCH higher than AmaWaterways.

I would love to know where these folks are finding Uniworld prices lower than AmaWaterways.

Wendy and bobalink;

Have your TA contact Uniworld and tell them the details of the cruise you want and that you are interested in the "pay in full option at time of booking". Then compare the all inclusive Uniworld response to what you get from the other companies.

Uniworld does not book direct with customers. One must use a TA. A lot of pricing and travel options exist that are not listed on the website. Put your TA to work!

Wendy and bobalink;

Have your TA contact Uniworld and tell them the details of the cruise you want and that you are interested in the "pay in full option at time of booking". Then compare the all inclusive Uniworld response to what you get from the other companies.

Uniworld does not book direct with customers. One must use a TA. A lot of pricing and travel options exist that are not listed on the website. Put your TA to work!

Don't worry, I always use a TA. But I hate the idea of "pay in full at time of booking". I might be persuaded to do it for a large enough incentive, but I think it's a strange way to do business.

All this is moot until and unless I actually decide on a destination.

Wendy and bobalink;

Thanks, pinotlover, for your reply. I agree, a good TA can offer options/discounts not listed on the cruise line websites.

I do have a TA that works with a comprehensive list of river cruise lines.

What would happen if you need to cancel after you have already paid in full?

When you "pay in full" with Uniworld, do you also purchase "cancel for any reason" insurance?

Unless the price for Uniworld can match or beat AmaWaterways, I will stick with Ama. Like I mentioned, we really are quite happy with Ama, we just thought it would be fun to try Uniworld.

T...

What would happen if you need to cancel after you have already paid in full?

When you "pay in full" with Uniworld, do you also purchase "cancel for any reason" insurance?

Unless the price for Uniworld can match or beat AmaWaterways, I will stick with Ama. Like I mentioned, we really are quite happy with Ama, we just thought it would be fun to try Uniworld.

I'm assuming that Unworld would have cancellation periods similar to other lines, so that you'd get a full refund if you cancelled prior to the cut-off date.

That's a nice recommendation for AMA. My only issue is the non-inclusiveness. We prefer lines that include gratuities and drinks, just because we're used to it. It's not a showstopper, just an annoyance.

Our "pay in full" option, was worth and additional 10% off. Far more than any savings account or stock fund right now is returning. Uniworld's cancellation policies are fairly generous and typical of the industry. They're not the airlines!;)

Our "pay in full" option, was worth and additional 10% off. Far more than any savings account or stock fund right now is returning. Uniworld's cancellation policies are fairly generous and typical of the industry. They're not the airlines!;)

Yeah, I know. Don't like to be pushed I guess. Especially when these discounts appear to expire on Saturday. Not ready to commit.

Hey Wendy!

I am booked on Uniworld for Aug 16th sailings cruise only! I hear the ship is sold out but the cruise looks amazing! I went on my first river cruise in July and loved it so much I booked another!

If space shakes loose...come on my cruise!