How can we tell how crowded a cruise will be?

You really can not tell much of anything, other than if it is close to full. And to do that, you go online and try to book a cabin. If various categories are sold out, or they only offer a few, then it is close to full.

You should know they really work hard to fill every ship with last minute sales. And empty cabin will generate ZERO $$.

With rare exception, I think you can assume that the cruise will be booked with at least 100% occupancy (usually defined as an average of 2 people in every cabin). In fact, I believe the cruise lines usually shoot for something higher, like 104%. However, there is a maximum number of passengers a particular ship can carry due to safety issues.

And if you are cruising during school holidays, expect the cruise to be FULL.

Yeah -- you can pretty much assume mid-June through the end of August to mean full.

Some of the TA sites (one of the airlines for example) will display not only what categories are still open, but if you attempt to "book" a stateroom in a specific category (using 1 person for occupancy), it will display all of the actual staterooms that are still avaible for the given deck.

Remember there are differences between no available cabins and the ship being filled. If a cabin can fit 4, but only 2-3 are booked, then the ship is not filled to max, but cabin is not available.

Safe sailing

And if you are cruising during school holidays, expect the cruise to be FULL.

Yeah, I think most cruises will be nominally "full" regardless of when they sail. But if there is a higher percentage of children on a particular cruise, it may seem "fuller" than usual. ;-)

I don't know if this is helpful but this is a little trick I find useful... If you look at the weeks where the prices jump those weeks are usually higher in demand (ie: school vacation weeks) so these weeks tend to be more crowded in my experience.

Some of the TA sites (one of the airlines for example) will display not only what categories are still open, but if you attempt to "book" a stateroom in a specific category (using 1 person for occupancy), it will display all of the actual staterooms that are still avaible for the given deck.

That info is exactly the same as is available from NCL website, maximum of 15 available cabins listed from each category.

My TA booked me into a quad inside cabin even though only 2 of us were sailing but were possibly taking our kids. Close to our sail date and after final payment we were upgraded to an ocean view i assume to fill it with 4. No complaint from me!

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Forums mobile app