Beverage Package - Solstice

SarahCuda

I was looking up beverage packages and it says the following:

Classic Package = $49.00/person per night ($343.00 total)

Premium Package = $59.00/person per night ($413.00 total)

Am I understanding this correctly, that even if I drink well items or cheaper beer, it would cost me $343.00 total? That seems very steep in my opinion. Are drinks that expensive on board? Since I MIGHT drink 2 drinks a night, is it even worth it to purchase a drink package? Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you!!

Edited by SarahCuda

Am I understanding this correctly, that even if I drink well items or cheaper beer, it would cost me $343.00 total? That seems very steep in my opinion. Are drinks that expensive on board? Since I MIGHT drink 2 drinks a night, is it even worth it to purchase a drink package? Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you!!

If you only drink 2 drinks/night, it is definitely not worth it!

Thank you!! That's what I was thinking =)

You also have other drinks (specialty coffee, water, etc.) to consider, but if you just have 2 drinks per night then you vcan just dio the math and there is also a spread sheet you can search for it in the CC.:)

On our Alaska cruise last September, we had the Classic Drink Package as a perk. I counted up our drinks (coffees,water, sodas, & cocktails), & between DH & I, we maybe drank $45 worth per day. And I was even drinking an extra drink just cuz it was free.:D So, in your case, it wouldn't be worth it. I would never buy it, but if they give it to me, it's nice to have. I have it on my TA, but only because it came with my balcony. :) You have to be a heavy drinker for it to be worth it.

When considering whether or not to purchase a drink package keep in mind it includes soda, fresh squeezed juices, bottled water, speciality coffees & teas in addition to wine and alcohol.

You can buy the drink package on board anytime up until 3 or 4 days before the end of the cruise. So check how much you are spending for the first day or so and see if the package is a better deal for you.

...Am I understanding this correctly, that even if I drink well items or cheaper beer, it would cost me $343.00 total? That seems very steep in my opinion. Are drinks that expensive on board? Since I MIGHT drink 2 drinks a night, is it even worth it to purchase a drink package? Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you!!

In my opinion the drink packages are expensive. I'm sure when Celebrity introduced them a few years ago they priced them well above the average passengers beverage bill. After all, I would think they introduced the packages to increase revenues not to decrease them.

The beverage package is a great value for those that drink above average quantities of the included beverages and also for those that are willing to pay a little extra to have an all inclusive type beverage experience on their cruise.

But those that consume below average quantities of the included beverages are better off economically by foregoing the beverage packages and just buying their drinks ala carte as they order them. I would say that the majority of cruisers on board do not have the beverage packages or at least that was the case before they started including them as perks in many promotional sales events. There are a lot of cruisers who only have a couple alcoholic drinks a day, if any, and who are happy with the no extra charge beverages already included in your cruise fare.

One other thing to consider is beverages not included in the beverage plans. For example while the beverage packages have a decent selection of wines by the glass the list if included wines pales in comparison to the nice long list of wines by the bottle available on the ship. So someone who prefers the nicer, and more varied, bottle wine selection might not find the packages worthwhile even through they include a small discount on bottle wine purchases.

Edited by Lsimon

In my opinion the drink packages are expensive......One other thing to consider is beverages not included in the beverage plans. For example while the beverage packages have a decent selection of wines by the glass the list if included wines pales in comparison to the nice long list of wines by the bottle available on the ship. So someone who prefers the nicer, and more varied, bottle wine selection might not find the packages worthwhile even through they include a small discount on bottle wine purchases.

Hello, we are new to Celeb, and confused about their wines by the glass. We chose the classic pkg, but are finding that few decent wines are available with the classic. So if we "upgrade" to premium, at prepaid cost of $566 for two for seven days, will we find the 'by the glass' wine list drinkable? (Our idea of drinking is a bottle of wine with dinner). And, at $40/bottle for the lesser wines, Celeb seems to have us as captives.

Hello, we are new to Celeb, and confused about their wines by the glass. We chose the classic pkg, but are finding that few decent wines are available with the classic. So if we "upgrade" to premium, at prepaid cost of $566 for two for seven days, will we find the 'by the glass' wine list drinkable? (Our idea of drinking is a bottle of wine with dinner). And, at $40/bottle for the lesser wines, Celeb seems to have us as captives.

You really need to find a current wine list to get an idea of what is available. It has been a little over a year since we sailed so I don't know if the wine offerings have changed but here is a link to the MDR wine list from March 2013 when the packages included wines up to $8 for Classic, up to $12 for Premium and the ability to pay only the price difference for wines above IF you have the premium package. (click here for link). I suspect the offerings have changed some but that the info from a year ago is still representative. You can search these boards for more updated info.

In general I'd say that the unlimited packages are not best for those who are wine connoisseurs due to the limited "by the glass" selections. So if you mostly drink wine and the offerings seem limited to you then take a pass on the packages and just buy wine by the bottle. One nice thing about cruise ship is that if you do not finish a bottle at a seating they will cork it and store it for the next night or send it to your cabin if you'd like to finish it later.

Of course you are captive on the ship at prices that are restaurant/resort type prices. No different than going to a restaurant, lounge or resort dining room. You can bring on two bottles with you to enjoy in your cabin but if you take one of these to the dining room they charge a $25 corkage fee (no charge for consumption in your cabin).

Edited by Lsimon

I do not agree that you have to be heavy drinkers to benefit from the drinks packages. Last October I purchased 1 each of the premium alcohol and non alcohol packages for me and my mum. Not perks. Now, we would have fresh squeezed juice in the morning then we would have a diet coke or cranberry juice with a bottle Of water. Then a chocolate igloo or 2. Then at lunch another soda or 2 and a glass of wine. Then sat by the pool in the heat maybe a couple of cocktails with and or without alcohol. Then take a can of soda and have a read. Then pre dinner drinks and then 2 glasses of wine with dinner and maybe a hot chocolate and a bottle of water for bed. It is not all about alcohol and I personally thing the packages are more than worth it.

We have friends that have been purchasing the packages for a number of years, they are nothing new. The pkg makes it cost effective to order 3 glasses of wine which would cost $12-14 ea than buying a bottle @ $50-60 and only getting 2 glasses each. And yes, there is a lot more to what the total pkg encompasses than just booze.

Here is my "RUFF" run down of a day with a drink pkg on another thread

For us at least, the package was not just about drinks that would make us not remember the cruise! It was everything else that the pkg includes.

A speciality coffee each on the balcony while the wifester is putting on her face, $5 ea.

Evian or San Pellegrino with fresh squeezed juice with that second coffee at breakfast, $15 ea.

Grab a bottle water on the way to stake out a deck chair, $4 ea.

$24 each before any mind altering liquid is consumed.

A beer or the drink of the day by the pool, $6 ea

Then off to lunch, maybe a soda, or another San Pellegrino $5 ea

The sun is hot hot hot! A cold beer or drink of the day is in order, $6 ea

The burger at the Mast Grill is calling our names, it does not go down with out some liquid assistance, $5 ea, then it is time to meet friends to watch the sun set from the Sunset Bar, $6 ea. Afternoon total $28.

And the evening fun has yet to begin.

San Pellegrino and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, and another speciality coffee with desert, $26 ea

Now it is time for some mind altering sampling to happen, or not A cocktail with friends at one of the watering holes on ship $7 ea, or 2 if we are letting our hair down!

One more bottle water on the way back to the cabin just in case we get thirsty during the night, $4. Evening total, $44.

Morning, $24, day, $28, evening $44, total $96.00 each useing the low end of the cost scale (Classic pkg) and not much mind altering substance.

Some evening's we will grab another coffee ( or worse) and go and sit on deck 5 to unwind, listen to the swoosh of the waves gently breaking down the side of the ship before heading to the cabin.

We will use our OBC from Visa to upgrade to the Premium in Nov.

Did you choose the Beverage pkg in the 123 prom? If so the up grade is only $11.50 per day X the number of days in your sailing. ie: $11.50 X 11 = $126.50 X 2 = $253.00 for both of us to do this in Nov.

Now if you are buying the pkg on your own it is a different matter, then you have the $49/59 per day cost factor. Still IOHO a good deal based on everything included above and beyond alcohol.

ps: Last yr on the Reflection, my wife liked the Peter Lehmen Shiraz, $13 a glass, times 3-4 thru out the day, = $52 pd just for the wine. It was not stocked at all the bars, with a firm handshake at sail away at the Sunset Bar, it was stocked there that night for the rest of the week. Also had an issue with the SOM in the MDR not stocking it. We would bring it with us by the 3rd night there was a bottle on the table when we sat down.

Edited by wallie5446

I do not agree that you have to be heavy drinkers to benefit from the drinks packages. Last October I purchased 1 each of the premium alcohol and non alcohol packages for me and my mum. Not perks. Now, we would have fresh squeezed juice in the morning then we would have a diet coke or cranberry juice with a bottle Of water. Then a chocolate igloo or 2. Then at lunch another soda or 2 and a glass of wine. Then sat by the pool in the heat maybe a couple of cocktails with and or without alcohol. Then take a can of soda and have a read. Then pre dinner drinks and then 2 glasses of wine with dinner and maybe a hot chocolate and a bottle of water for bed. It is not all about alcohol and I personally thing the packages are more than worth it.

The words "heavy drinker" imply someone who consumes way above average quantities of alcoholic beverages. While you don't need to be a "heavy drinker", you do need to drink above average quantities of any of the included beverages - be they alcoholic or non-alcoholic. In my mind the quantities you describe are above the average consumption level. There is nothing wrong with this and for you the packages sound like a great deal.

The words "heavy drinker" imply someone who consumes way above average quantities of alcoholic beverages. While you don't need to be a "heavy drinker", you do need to drink above average quantities of any of the included beverages - be they alcoholic or non-alcoholic. In my mind the quantities you describe are above the average consumption level. There is nothing wrong with this and for you the packages sound like a great deal.[/quote

I do not agree that it is above average consumption. I drink at home a minimum of litres of Diet Pepsi, 8 cups of tea and copious amounts of water, so for me, no not at all above average. The only thing that is out of the ordinary for me, is having a glass or 2 of wine with dinner. But that is mainly because I have 4 children at home and do not drink with them around. :p

If you have the classic package already, the upgrade to premium is far less than you quote. Maybe $11 per day. Ive included the wine by the glass list from May here but this includes the tip as its from the UK so anything up to $10.50 is in the classic package and up to $15 is in the premium package.

u9uny5un.jpgyraga3u2.jpghu2yrana.jpguhu7unu3.jpg8e3u9a4e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. I realize the upgrade is only $161/week for two, and an easy decision. The classic was about $405 for us. Normally we do not spend that much on drinks. This time will be an enjoyable exception.

The words "heavy drinker" imply someone who consumes way above average quantities of alcoholic beverages. While you don't need to be a "heavy drinker", you do need to drink above average quantities of any of the included beverages - be they alcoholic or non-alcoholic. In my mind the quantities you describe are above the average consumption level. There is nothing wrong with this and for you the packages sound like a great deal.

I do not agree that it is above average consumption. I drink at home a minimum of litres of Diet Pepsi, 8 cups of tea and copious amounts of water, so for me, no not at all above average. The only thing that is out of the ordinary for me, is having a glass or 2 of wine with dinner. But that is mainly because I have 4 children at home and do not drink with them around. :p

I'm not saying it is unusual or too much to drink, I'm saying it is more than the quantity of extra cost beverages the average cruiser drinks. I really don't think the average cruiser spends a daily average of $50 or $60 per day per person on extra cost beverages. Many do. But I don't think the average is that high. If it was that high, or higher, then I'm sure Celebrity would have charged more for the beverage packages. While I don't have definitive information on their pricing decisions I feel pretty confident their intention with the packages is to increase revenue and not decrease it.

I guess if you disagree with my point then we'll just have to remain in disagreement. No big deal.

Again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with consuming that many extra cost beverages nor buying the package to increase one's consumption. We've done that with the non-alcoholic packages as after we bought them we more freely consumed the Cafe al Bacio coffees and teas and other beverages in greater quantities that we had before the packages - in fact I'd say we consumed above average quantities of these once we had the packages:rolleyes:.

I'm not saying it is unusual or too much to drink, I'm saying it is more than the quantity of extra cost beverages the average cruiser drinks. I really don't think the average cruiser spends a daily average of $50 or $60 per day per person on extra cost beverages. Many do. But I don't think the average is that high. If it was that high, or higher, then I'm sure Celebrity would have charged more for the beverage packages. While I don't have definitive information on their pricing decisions I feel pretty confident their intention with the packages is to increase revenue and not decrease it.

I guess if you disagree with my point then we'll just have to remain in disagreement. No big deal.

Again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with consuming that many extra cost beverages nor buying the package to increase one's consumption. We've done that with the non-alcoholic packages as after we bought them we more freely consumed the Cafe al Bacio coffees and teas and other beverages in greater quantities that we had before the packages - in fact I'd say we consumed above average quantities of these once we had the packages:rolleyes:.

I see what you saying. I suppose I don't see a difference based on my at home consumption. What I can tell you is when we got the soda package, I got severe dehydration because I was only drinking fizzy drinks. Suffered a lot of headaches. I buy the package for the freedom and also to avoid a nasty shock at the end of my cruise. Lol. :D

I too only had maybe 2 alcoholic drinks a day - maybe something by the pool and a glass of wine with dinner.

I went with the premium non alcohol plan so I could have my fill of specialty coffees, water, soda etc etc. At the time it was only $18 or so per day. My drink and wine maybe came to $18. So $36 per day was a lot cheaper than the Classic Non Alcohol Plan.

IMHO, a great way to go. Would get a bottle of San Pelligrino water with dinner, a few bottles of water for port.

I see what you saying. I suppose I don't see a difference based on my at home consumption. What I can tell you is when we got the soda package, I got severe dehydration because I was only drinking fizzy drinks. Suffered a lot of headaches. I buy the package for the freedom and also to avoid a nasty shock at the end of my cruise. Lol. :D

How much was the soda package?

We are cruising for the first time in September - to Alaska on the Celebrity Solstice. Because the basic alcoholic drink package was included, we went ahead and upgraded to the Premium. I drink very little alcohol, but we upgraded both of us. My question is about the bottled water. I have had a kidney transplant and need to drink copious amount of liquid (2-3 liters a day). do i have to make trip to the bar for every bottle or will they give me a few bottles at a time? I really like the idea of making a tour of the bars to stock up on beer & sodas (or vitamin waters). is that going to be my solution for the water thing too? just stock up and ice them down?

Your call on the value - however, keep in mind that it also includes unlimited bottled water, soda, coffee, speciality coffees, tea, juices, smoothies, etc. and not just alcoholic drinks.

Many people enjoy the freedom to drink whatever and whenever they want and not worry about paying for each drink.

It's nice to be able to grab a bottle of water for a shore excursion.

How much was the soda package?

Soda Package

Enjoy unlimited sodas during the duration of your cruise. Simply present your SeaPass® Card at any bar, lounge, or restaurant to receive your canned or fountain soda of choice. *Starting from: 8.00 USD Per NIGHT