TO THE CELEBRITY OFFICIAL - Drink package question - please clarify

JandKMom

First of all, thank you for posting the "official Celebrity drink packages" a few weeks ago. I thought that this post was going to be stickied (it should be), but thankfully I printed out the PDF at the time. Forgive me for starting a new thread, I was going to just reply to that original thread (once I found it by doing a search) but it is closed.

I need clarification on one item regarding the drink packages. I sent a message to your Facebook page, but have not yet had a reply, so I am trying here. Here is the message I posted on Facebook:

Hello Celebrity Cruises! We will be sailing on the Summit on June 29th to Bermuda. My husband and I have the Classic Drink Package (alcoholic) and I upgraded my kids to the Premium non-alcoholic. I am a member of Cruise Critic and there had been a great deal of debate about what was and wasn't offered in the Classic Package. Thankfully, a representative from Celebrity posted PDFs of all the offerings in both the Classic and Premium packages, which I printed out. After looking over the list, my husband and I decided to stay with the Classic Package. I was also informed at some point (not through that list, but I believe I either emailed Celebrity and got a response or wrote to you on here) that the bartenders could make a mini version of the martinis for those on the Classic Package. Someone on Cruise Critic just posted a review of their trip and she said that they ran into problems with this. One bartender happily made them a mini martini, but then the next day a different bartender told them it wasn't allowed. Can you please confirm what the policy is? If we are allowed a mini martini, I want to make sure that the bartenders are aware!

I found the email from Celebrity that said that martinis were available on the Classic Package. It does not specifically say "mini" martinis, but in response to my question (also quoted) in which I asked if I could get a mini martini, Celebrity responded that martinis were in fact available on the Classic Package. Please note that this email pre-dates the "Official Beverage Package List" posted by Celebrity here on this message board:

Dear S:

Thank you for your email.

There is not a bar list/menu available before the cruise, as the options can change per ship or by itinerary.We can provide you with some sample starting pricing.

soda: $2.00

bottled water: $3.50

premium coffee/tea: $4.50

beer: $4.50

wine/cocktails: $6.50

Cocktails such as martini's, frozen drinks, and wine options will be available with the Classic package. Please note the brand of alcohold (well vs. top shelf) can vary and effect the drink price. There is a list of brands included in both the Classic package and Premium packages on our website.

S, thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

Sincerely,

Sonja Emerson

Customer Service Representative

Hi there.

I am currently booked on the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda on June 29th. I currently have the Classic Beverage Package and I am trying to decide whether to upgrade to the Premium. Can you please send me a list of exactly what is included in the Classic Package (what brands, types of cocktails and what wines). I understand that it includes cocktails and wines up to $8 and beers up to $6. Will there be at least two choices of wines at dinner, for example? I understand martinis are not covered, but mini martinis are. Is this correct? What about frozen drinks such as Daiquiris, Margaritas and Pina Coladas? You may be aware that there has been quite a bit of grumbling about this online since apparently drink prices were raised. I am not complaining, however, I just want to make an informed decision before my trip.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Edited by JandKMom

So, I know this isn't going to be popular, but I think the mini martini thing is silly. This post is nothing against the OP, who is just asking for clarity on an issue, because I know it has been posted on here you can get them, and I did see on the Summit 1 bar tender at least that provided mini martinis to a lady with the Classic Package, but I also saw one tell a lady that wasn't possible. I don't believe there are mini martinis on the menu? The poor waiters are already so busy and now they have to pour small drinks (and arguably more of them as I can drink 2 mini martinis to make up for 1 big one). How is this any different then asking for half of a glass of wine? I.e., if the wine is $12 and over the Classic price range, why not just ask for 1/2 glass which should arguably only be $6 and within the Classic Package. I think it would be different if there were small martinis on the menu, but I really don't think they are. It is unfortunate that Celebrity created this issue for themselves. I upgrade to premium just for martinis.

FYI, in relation to their response, I do think there may be a couple martinis (full size) that are covered by the Classic. I could be wrong but maybe the cosmo? Maybe that is what they are referring to?

Well Cosmos and appletinis are the two martinis I drink. If I can get those mini or not I would be happy.just trying to make an informed decision and I wish they would clarify.

Well Cosmos and appletinis are the two martinis I drink. If I can get those mini or not I would be happy.just trying to make an informed decision and I wish they would clarify.

From experience, both Cosmos and Appletinis, along with regular gin and vodka martinis, all made with well brands, are available on the classic package. Be aware, though, that the Cosmos are made with lime cordial rather than fresh lime juice, so they are very sweet. I just asked the bartender to sub in fresh lime juice and it was no problem.

From experience' date=' both Cosmos and Appletinis, along with regular gin and vodka martinis, all made with well brands, are available on the classic package. Be aware, though, that the Cosmos are made with lime cordial rather than fresh lime juice, so they are very sweet. I just asked the bartender to sub in fresh lime juice and it was no problem.[/quote']

Thanks for the tip!

I suspect some of the confusion comes from the fact that people mean different things when they use the term "martini." A "martini" is actually the name of a specific drink, traditionally gin, with drop or two of vermouth (or not), served chilled and straight up in a martini glass with an olive. Then people started drinking vodka martinis, but ok- still a pretty "specfic" drink.

Flash forward to the recent trend of mixing up all sorts of creations, serving them chilled and straight up in a martini glass and thus calling them a "martini" simply because they are served in a similar fashion...it's kind of like calling every frozen drink a "dacquiri."

Many of these involve 3 or 4 different ingredients, some involve rimming the glass with sugar or cocoa or whatever else, etc. In short, they are more time consuming to make than a true "martini" and more costly. A true martini would certainly be allowed with any drink package, as it's essentially a basic highball served straight up (albeit chilled), but the fancier so-called "martinis" could be considered specialty cocktails due to the extra ingredients and effort to make them (i.e. the extra price), and as such, only available on a higher priced package. And therein lies the confusion when ordering a martini with the classic package.... do you mean a MARTINI or a "martini?" Result: You can ask a dozen different bartenders, onboard F&B managers and Celebrity corporate and probably not get a consistent answer because of the ambiguity of the term "martini."

;)

I found the email from Celebrity.........Please note that this email pre-dates the "Official Beverage Package List" posted by Celebrity here on this message board:

Dear S:

Thank you for your email.

There is not a bar list/menu available before the cruise, as the options can change per ship or by itinerary.We can provide you with some sample starting pricing.

soda: $2.00

bottled water: $3.50

premium coffee/tea: $4.50

beer: $4.50

wine/cocktails: $6.50

Cocktails such as martini's, frozen drinks, and wine options will be available with the Classic package. Please note the brand of alcohold (well vs. top shelf) can vary and effect the drink price. There is a list of brands included in both the Classic package and Premium packages on our website.

S, thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

Sincerely,

Sonja Emerson

Customer Service Representative...........

Here we go again. Celebrity's website has not been updated to include the brands offered in their "official" CC post. And, wines by the glass under $9 and $13 are still a mystery. Still hoping to enjoy our upcoming cruise.(btw, not being 'half empty', just a discerning consumer.)

I am sorry to also ask for clarification also but I believe it can be difficult to get mini Martini's. Some barmen will and some will not provide these. I think it depends not only on the bar ie passport but also the ship. We have no problem getting them at the passport on the Solstice and yet couldn't on the Reflection and we were paying. My daughter is a 'light' drinker and actually prefers the smaller ones particularly if she is having wine with dinner. She often ended up with a diet coke or just drank half a large one.

We have upgraded her package simply for this. She doesn't drink coffee or plain water and her preferred wine is on the Classic list however it was such a drag last year that we all agreed we were not restricting ourselves again.

A note of caution to the OP, most who posts on CC mean well, we have had some fabulous advice and more importantly meet some wonderful people who have become friends but the ships do differ as you can see from the posts. I believe you will not know the answer until you are on the ship. My advice would be to try and budget for the upgrade and make the decision once on board.

As others have said, I think the confusion is what people class as 'Martini'

There are martinis of different types on the bar menus for most of the bars on the ship which come within the Classic price. However, I think some are referring to the specific 'Martini' bar martinis, which don't. I'm afraid I agree that they are so busy, they sometimes won't do a 'smaller' martini so you can get this on your classic package. To be fair to them, it's not on the menu! As someone else has already said, you woulnt ask for half a glass of expensive wine - so I don't see the difference.

My advice would be if you want a martini from the 'Martini' bar, upgrade - simples :-) then you also get the yummy Molecular bar cocktails

It is unfortunate that Celebrity created this issue for themselves.

Sorry, but I don't agree, this is purely customer driven. As always, the staff on Celebrity ships will do most things to keep us folks happy, even sometimes when they are not really supposed to. They don't like to say no.

However, sometimes, through sheer pressure and volume of work, they have to - then some folks don't like it - they are damned if they do, and damned if they don't

Sorry, but I don't agree, this is purely customer driven. As always, the staff on Celebrity ships will do most things to keep us folks happy, even sometimes when they are not really supposed to. They don't like to say no.

However, sometimes, through sheer pressure and volume of work, they have to - then some folks don't like it - they are damned if they do, and damned if they don't

Well Said

Just off the Summit to Bermuda. As I said on another thread a word of caution is in order about the list posted by the Celebrity representative. We upgraded from Classic to Premium based on the inclusion of Jameson 12 and Jameson Gold on the list posted by Celebrity on this site. When we ordered it onboard none could be found. The next day the bartender found a bottle of 12 with about two inches left in it. We met with the Food and Beverage manager who said neither the 12 nor the Gold was on his list as included and he didn't know if they had any on the ship. After we got to Bermuda a bottle of Jameson Gold was located in storage but apparently could not be brought out until after the ship left port. So yes we did finally get it with two days left on the cruise and the staff went above and beyond to find it. Just an example of Celebrity not being on the same page across the board and just because some list says it's included doesn't mean it is.

Edited by surus
Grammar

Celebrity responded to my Facebook post and said they are looking into the matter. They also said they saw my Cruise Critic post :o They a lot had to do with the ingredients and how it was ordered, but they didn't think I would have an issue and they would try to check on specific drinks. As I said I am most interested in Cosmos and Appletinis and other girly martini type drinks :)

Edited by JandKMom

So, I know this isn't going to be popular, but I think the mini martini thing is silly. This post is nothing against the OP, who is just asking for clarity on an issue, because I know it has been posted on here you can get them, and I did see on the Summit 1 bar tender at least that provided mini martinis to a lady with the Classic Package, but I also saw one tell a lady that wasn't possible. I don't believe there are mini martinis on the menu? The poor waiters are already so busy and now they have to pour small drinks (and arguably more of them as I can drink 2 mini martinis to make up for 1 big one). How is this any different then asking for half of a glass of wine? I.e., if the wine is $12 and over the Classic price range, why not just ask for 1/2 glass which should arguably only be $6 and within the Classic Package. I think it would be different if there were small martinis on the menu, but I really don't think they are. It is unfortunate that Celebrity created this issue for themselves. I upgrade to premium just for martinis.

Well put! We have always purchased the premium package so we can order whatever martini we want.

For us, we will wait and see once onboard. My husband only drinks, Absolute on the rocks, so we don't have any problem with his drink as it is covered on the Classic package, and anything else would be water, coffee or coke.

For myself I drink a dirty martini, with Grey Goose (maybe 3 during an entire cruise) so if I can get one with Absolute, I will deal with it, or else I can drink a glass of wine. Now if the wine is not to my liking, I will consider upgrading my package to the Premium one to get the better wines. Even though I enjoy sparkling water, I can always get a can of club soda with lime and make due. I order that in restaurants at home for dinner many times so that I don't get the caffeine.

Still happy to have the package to enjoy unlimited water bottles, coffee, drinks whenever we want them etc. Since this is new for us, not having to worry about signing for the drinks etc. I am looking forward to the experience. Again if I feel the need to upgrade, I will do so, once on the ship.

Celebrity responded to my Facebook post and said they are looking into the matter. They also said they saw my Cruise Critic post :o They a lot had to do with the ingredients and how it was ordered, but they didn't think I would have an issue and they would try to check on specific drinks. As I said I am most interested in Cosmos and Appletinis and other girly martini type drinks :)

Here is Celebrity's latest reply to me via Facebook:

Hi there.. Martinis are available on the 5oz version, however are not prepared with Premium brands but using house gins and vodkas

Well said. I think Celebrity needs to put down some strong rules as far as the beverage package and what is included and make sure they are abided by the staff. For example, if a martini is not part of the classic package, then it should not be given as part, no matter the asking, tipping, etc. Unfortunately, some bartenders try to be nice and accomodate the guests and all it does it get others complaining because they didn't get the same thing.

It is up to Celebrity to make the rules and then make sure that they are followed on all the ships by all the bartenders.

I think they have 2 or 4 "small" martinis on menu that are on classic package, apple and cosmo as examples. I also think that during slow periods (i.e. not the before and after dinner rush) most bartenders are happy to make small versions of others if asked, but it is not an entitlement to the package.

Celebrity needs to STOP publishing specific lists of beverages and brands so they have the flexibility to change as needed from a business perspective and stop confusing its customers further as lists become old over time yet still get viewed by guests who may not know they are viewing old/former information. At least now with the published lists, they finally have the small print "subject to change" that no one ever bothers to read...

Really with the drink packages what's on the package relates the the brand of spirits used, the low end (i.e. Well" brands) are on the classic, the high end (i.e. "call brands" are premiums. And anything that has a combination of multiple spirits will fall generally into the premium package which is why MOST martinis at martini bar are on the Premium package they tend to involve 2 or more premium branded spirits, but an appletini is just cheap vodka and cheap apple pucker flavored spirits and therefore falls into the classic package.

Just off the Summit to Bermuda. As I said on another thread a word of caution is in order about the list posted by the Celebrity representative. We upgraded from Classic to Premium based on the inclusion of Jameson 12 and Jameson Gold on the list posted by Celebrity on this site. When we ordered it onboard none could be found. The next day the bartender found a bottle of 12 with about two inches left in it. We met with the Food and Beverage manager who said neither the 12 nor the Gold was on his list as included and he didn't know if they had any on the ship. After we got to Bermuda a bottle of Jameson Gold was located in storage but apparently could not be brought out until after the ship left port. So yes we did finally get it with two days left on the cruise and the staff went above and beyond to find it. Just an example of Celebrity not being on the same page across the board and just because some list says it's included doesn't mean it is.
I thought Celebrity said in one of their posts that not all liquor is available on all ships.

I dont entirely agree. They have bar menus and drinks packages that are standard across the fleet. If Celebrity were clear to every Bar Manager just what is and isnt allowed then the experience would be the same for everyone on every ship at all times. They cannot deny something that was available one night on the next night just because they are busy. Its Customer Driven because the customers want clarity and harmonisation across the fleet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I dont entirely agree. They have bar menus and drinks packages that are standard across the fleet. If Celebrity were clear to every Bar Manager just what is and isnt allowed then the experience would be the same for everyone on every ship at all times. They cannot deny something that was available one night on the next night just because they are busy. Its Customer Driven because the customers want clarity and harmonisation across the fleet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But the flip side, if someone does something above and beyond one night, are we allowed to then consider it an entitlement that is to be guaranteed every time?

In this case we are really talking about a staff member who may have done something that is not within the letter of the rules, just to be nice to a guest, and the result is a customer who then gets upset tomorrow because he didn't get the same thing from another staff member instead of just being happy they got something extra yesterday. This is especially true with the "small martini's" during slow periods that are not the specific 2 or 4 ones listed on the menu.

Or when they will pour Grey goose when they are out of Absolute and not charge, even though the drinks sits say they are subject to change and all brands are not necessarily available on all sailings. So instead of simply saying NO we ae pout of absolute and can't make it, or well, all we have is grey goose and its not on the classic so you have to pay, they instead pour Grey goose and call it part of classic package, which isn not within the written rule or policy, it was done as a customer service save.

Or i've had them give me Evian at a bar when they were out of the lesser bottles of water and not charge instead of saying we have no cheap bottled water, but they have it in sky, you can go there and get it. But I don't expect free evian for the rest of my cruise now do I?