TO THE CELEBRITY OFFICIAL - Drink package question - please clarify

JandKMom

But the flip side, if someone does something above and beyond one night, are we allowed to then consider it an entitlement that is to be guaranteed every time?

In this case we are really talking about a staff member who may have done something that is not within the letter of the rules, just to be nice to a guest, and the result is a customer who then gets upset tomorrow because he didn't get the same thing from another staff member instead of just being happy they got something extra yesterday. This is especially true with the "small martini's" during slow periods that are not the specific 2 or 4 ones listed on the menu.

Or when they will pour Grey goose when they are out of Absolute and not charge, even though the drinks sits say they are subject to change and all brands are not necessarily available on all sailings. So instead of simply saying NO we ae pout of absolute and can't make it, or well, all we have is grey goose and its not on the classic so you have to pay, they instead pour Grey goose and call it part of classic package, which isn not within the written rule or policy, it was done as a customer service save.

Or i've had them give me Evian at a bar when they were out of the lesser bottles of water and not charge instead of saying we have no cheap bottled water, but they have it in sky, you can go there and get it. But I don't expect free evian for the rest of my cruise now do I?

Weve had small Matinis at the Martini Bar last July and this May. 4 different servers across those cruises. They either have a policy or they dont. Im sure its not down to servers deciding how busy they are. On some nights they were quiet, on others it was busier yet the same small martinis were available. What is the issue here is that it isnt the same across the fleet, yet it should be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weve had small Matinis at the Martini Bar last July and this May. 4 different servers across those cruises. They either have a policy or they dont. Im sure its not down to servers deciding how busy they are. On some nights they were quiet, on others it was busier yet the same small martinis were available. What is the issue here is that it isnt the same across the fleet, yet it should be.

The unfortunate answer is the staff members making the mini martinis that are not on the menus, are providing a non documented service to their guests and should not be doing it. It's no different really than people who tip extra then report getting bigger pours of liquor in their glasses. That is really employee theft, as they aren't giving the house any extra money, but are using the houses' assets (liquor) to gain further private income. Clearly the ships allow some discretion with the bartenders, some are more "comfortable" shall we say with tweaking things as when they give out an Evian rather than cheap water bottle.

So those guests who do get this service should accept it graciously and not expect it everywhere, that's why it's inconsistent and not available always all the time everywhere, like the few that ARE on the menu are. Or perhaps they are making a mini martini with cheap spirits that fall under the classic package on request, but won't make the Blue Moon martini or whatever its called on the cheap. It may vary by drink even...

What we know, is there is no policy they are SUPPOSED to give small martinis, they just do it sometimes, other than the ones on the menu of course.

Exactly - much more eloquently put than me :-)

The really easy answer is - if you want Martinis at the Martini bar, just upgrade your package. Jeez, we're only talking $11.50/day - not even the price of one drink! And be careful what you wish for - if they stuck rigidly to the drinks menu at every bar, on every ship, you wouldn't be getting the small Martinis anyway

The really easy answer is - if you want Martinis at the Martini bar, just upgrade your package. Jeez, we're only talking $11.50/day - not even the price of one drink! And be careful what you wish for - if they stuck rigidly to the drinks menu at every bar, on every ship, you wouldn't be getting the small Martinis anyway

That is the exact reason I bought the Premium package last October, to try the Martinis without worrying about price and what I could or could not have. I tried the selection of 6 mini's and discovered that I hated them!!! WHOOPS lol.

But when I go this October, we are having the premium package again and I will gove the Martinis another go...wish me luck. lol :cool:

Personally, instead of worrying which tiny Martinis are available, I would upgrade and then be in a position to try each and every one of them on the menu!! lol And most importantly of course....RELAX AND ENJOY YOUR CRUISE :D

It may only be $11.50 a day but that is over $160 for the two of us for the week. We are actually trying to budget our money as we spent a lot on this cruise and money is tight for us in real life. I already made an informed decision and upgraded my kids package because I know they would want smoothies and Gatorade and I didn't want to have to deny them that. My husband and I looked at the drink packages and decided to stick with the Classic, but I was still unsure about certain drinks. Why should I spend an extra $160 if the drinks I am interested in are already included? As it turns out (thanks to Celebrity that did in fact answer me on Facebook and helpful people here that responded) the drinks I am interested in (which are not really "martinis" just martini type drinks - Cosmos and Appletinis) are in fact included. I don't care about having the most premium brand of vodka. So I am sticking with the Classic. If I get on board and find that there are in fact drinks I really want that are not included, I will upgrade then.

It may only be $11.50 a day but that is over $160 for the two of us for the week. We are actually trying to budget our money as we spent a lot on this cruise and money is tight for us in real life. I already made an informed decision and upgraded my kids package because I know they would want smoothies and Gatorade and I didn't want to have to deny them that. My husband and I looked at the drink packages and decided to stick with the Classic, but I was still unsure about certain drinks. Why should I spend an extra $160 if the drinks I am interested in are already included? As it turns out (thanks to Celebrity that did in fact answer me on Facebook and helpful people here that responded) the drinks I am interested in (which are not really "martinis" just martini type drinks - Cosmos and Appletinis) are in fact included. I don't care about having the most premium brand of vodka. So I am sticking with the Classic. If I get on board and find that there are in fact drinks I really want that are not included, I will upgrade then.

Strangely enough, I wasn't aware I'd said you should spend $160, whether your drinks are included or not. What I DID say is if you want to try the Martinis at the Martini bar, up grade and you'll have no problem.

If your chosen drinks are already included in the classic package, brilliant. I hope you have a wonderful cruise. But please don't read something in my post that isn't there :-)

That is the exact reason I bought the Premium package last October, to try the Martinis without worrying about price and what I could or could not have. I tried the selection of 6 mini's and discovered that I hated them!!! WHOOPS lol.

But when I go this October, we are having the premium package again and I will gove the Martinis another go...wish me luck. lol :cool:

Personally, instead of worrying which tiny Martinis are available, I would upgrade and then be in a position to try each and every one of them on the menu!! lol And most importantly of course....RELAX AND ENJOY YOUR CRUISE :D

Don't forget to try the Molecular bar - amazing creations :-)

I will absolutely be trying the Molecular bar, am in fact quite puzzled that I did not try it last year!! doh :cool:

It seems to be a well kept secret for some reason. I did the Eclipse TA last spring, and didn't find it till like 3 or 4 days prior to the end. I even knew it existed, and it wasn't noted on any of the directional signage or the little fold out maps they give on boarding either.

I asked staff at the shops area and they said there was no such thing!

During the day it's closed and so nondescript I think many people don't realize it's there, and being where they hold art auctions think many just make a habit of avoiding the area altogether.

But was glad I FINALLY did find it. It's signed as "Galleria Tastings" at least on Eclipse.

It seems to be a well kept secret for some reason. I did the Eclipse TA last spring, and didn't find it till like 3 or 4 days prior to the end. I even knew it existed, and it wasn't noted on any of the directional signage or the little fold out maps they give on boarding either.

I asked staff at the shops area and they said there was no such thing!

During the day it's closed and so nondescript I think many people don't realize it's there, and being where they hold art auctions think many just make a habit of avoiding the area altogether.

But was glad I FINALLY did find it. It's signed as "Galleria Tastings" at least on Eclipse.

I knew where it was....even went and had a look but........my mum is completely unsocial and the idea of going to a bar after dinner is not possible! She prefers to get a hot chocolate at al Bacio and go to bed!! But I am determined this year to have a go...The Eclipse is my favourite ship (have only been on the Century and the Eclipse). Been on her last year and have this October and next October booked on her too lol :D

I'm on KevinYork's side on this one....celebrity is selling (or including in a promotion) a package. That package is more than a name, it's a set of drinks available on your cruise. However, they don't give you enough information to know what you've bought. Yes, the price limits are defined and yes, the liquors that currently fall within those price limits are defined (at least here by Celebrity Cruise), but two areas which remain mysteries, apparently by design, are what drinks are included and what wines are included. Of course there is no way to list every drink or bottle of wine, but the current official list has no drinks and no wine brands on it.....and the other side of the coin is that we don't have access to any official drink menus, so there's no way to know if something common is included.

Martini's are more complex because the martini bar prepares martini's in larger martini glasses than other bars on the ship...and they charge more since it's a larger glass. By reports here, the martini bar on some ships with some bartenders will mix a martini and put it in a normal martini glass, but they will only do that for some martini's, not all. This is really something that celebrity should clarify. I am not a mixed martini drinker but it seems that any martini available at any other bar would be available at the martini bar, if made with well gin/vodka.

Since Celebrity seems to be avoiding the question....could someone list the martini's that are generally available at any bar (but not the unique ones at the martini bar). My head tells me that those martini's should be available at the martini bar as well, in the smaller glasses.....but I think that's not the case....which is why I ask.

The good thing is no one is forcing anyone to purchase drink packages in advance they are available upon boarding, where one can inquire as to whats included at that point in time.

Some bars make some drinks and not others, Molecular won't vary from its menu hardly at all, so just because another bar makes a particular martini doesn't mean martini must make and honor its price either - much as we may like them to. Go to the bar that makes your small martini and get it, then come to martini and enjoy it. martini won't make molecular bar drinks either, even variants that may not have the missing foam and nitrogen. Cellar masters won't serve Domain Chandon sparkling wine, only more expensive versions so go to Skylounge for the Domain Chandon.

It's all about revenue generation, why sell smaller martinis at a premium space like Martini bar, save the staff time for making the large more expensive more profitable drinks and achieve higher profit margins as it's such a popular spot.

Hamburgers are free at the mast girl, but hamburgers cost $7 in GastroBar. They have Pizza on Buffet, but I can't get a slice at Cafe Al Bacio or the Mast Grill.

Curt, I really hope we are on the same cruise sometime :-)

I, for one, will continue to enjoy the fact I can choose the classic package as part of my cruise price, and will happily upgrade either before, or once I get on board, whichever takes my fancy. I don't really need a specific list of whats on offer, I'm on holiday, and I'll go with the flow. I'm sure I won't go thirsty, and you can't avoid the fact that things change from ship to ship, and bar to bar, and what stock is available at the time.

Happy cruising :-)

The good thing is no one is forcing anyone to purchase drink packages in advance they are available upon boarding, where one can inquire as to whats included at that point in time.

Some bars make some drinks and not others, Molecular won't vary from its menu hardly at all, so just because another bar makes a particular martini doesn't mean martini must make and honor its price either - much as we may like them to. Go to the bar that makes your small martini and get it, then come to martini and enjoy it. martini won't make molecular bar drinks either, even variants that may not have the missing foam and nitrogen. Cellar masters won't serve Domain Chandon sparkling wine, only more expensive versions so go to Skylounge for the Domain Chandon.

It's all about revenue generation, why sell smaller martinis at a premium space like Martini bar, save the staff time for making the large more expensive more profitable drinks and achieve higher profit margins as it's such a popular spot.

Hamburgers are free at the mast girl, but hamburgers cost $7 in GastroBar. They have Pizza on Buffet, but I can't get a slice at Cafe Al Bacio or the Mast Grill.

That would be true if the bartenders were that busy...and at times they may be...but most of the time, one more drink is easy to fit in. The package is not for specific venues, it is for a price. Would you be OK if they raised all the prices to $8.25 except the bar in the buffet area which would still serve the drinks in the classic package for $8.00?

That would be true if the bartenders were that busy...and at times they may be...but most of the time, one more drink is easy to fit in. The package is not for specific venues, it is for a price. Would you be OK if they raised all the prices to $8.25 except the bar in the buffet area which would still serve the drinks in the classic package for $8.00?

I would, if that were the policy, however they don't and it isn't. The drinks packages currently provide drinks valued to $x.xx for classic and $z.zz for premium. Those beverages may change as the value of particular beers, wines and spirits are adjusted over time that will exclude some from the lower package and perhaps in rare (honestly doubtful though) instances bring some back from premium down to classic.

If they wanted they could say it would cover drinks up to $x.xx in ABC bar for classic, and $q.qq in DEF bar for classic

and up to $z.zz in ABC bar for premium, and $r.rr in DEF bar for premium

But that makes it a whole lot more complicated, so they don't. Instead they just have single price points and change the offerings and therefore pricing, by moving particular brands by way of price changes.

Forgoing the specific example related to beverages, lets instead make it analogous to the free hamburger at Mast Grill versus the $7 burger in GastroBar. Or the free filet mignon when offered in MDR versus the for fee filet mignon when delivered to the cabin via room service menu.

ACTUALLY, let's make it analogous to beverages.....I have classic package and my bud light beer is free anyplace on the ship, except if ordered from room service, then I pay full price...so I guess they already do in fact have different pricing for different venues.

Edited by cle-guy

They cannot deny something that was available one night on the next night just because they are busy. Its Customer Driven because the customers want clarity and harmonisation across the fleet.

Our party was told one thing and then a different thing at the same bar within the same hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our party was told one thing and then a different thing at the same bar within the same hour.

Hi Viva it was your post that led me to start this thread in the first place! And by the way, thank you for your fabulous review of your trip! I have been enjoying it very much! I am going on the same cruise next week and am very excited! And yes, I just want clarity. Amused that this has become such a debate. Celebrity answered my question early on, but other cruisers keep debating and debating this to death.

Hi Viva it was your post that led me to start this thread in the first place! And by the way, thank you for your fabulous review of your trip! I have been enjoying it very much! I am going on the same cruise next week and am very excited! And yes, I just want clarity. Amused that this has become such a debate. Celebrity answered my question early on, but other cruisers keep debating and debating this to death.

Have a fantastic time! And don't forget that it is possible to upgrade just one of your packages to premium. Thanks for the positive feedback!

• 3 months later...

There is a great write up with all drinks and prices and food menus. It is from last December but very helpful and great pics. It is .... thepreismans.com

Hope this helps....just looking at the specialty martini menu makes the upgrade worth it in my opinion!

There is a great write up with all drinks and prices and food menus. It is from last December but very helpful and great pics. It is .... thepreismans.com

Hope this helps....just looking at the specialty martini menu makes the upgrade worth it in my opinion!

Hi- thanks for your reply, but this post was from June. Don't know how it got resurrected after all these months. We took our cruise over 4th of July week and had a wonderful time. The Classic package suited our needs fine and everything I wanted was on it.