the "feel" of the Breakaway - not quite a review

glorialagos

Just returned from the Bermuda trip on the Breakaway. We have been on quite a few cruises, mostly NCL and Carnival. Maybe it is just me but the "feel" of the Breakaway was very different from past cruises. To me, it seemed more "sophisticated", more mature. Every crew member was polite, helpful and did their job perfectly but without the "goofiness" of those on previous cruises. I didn't feel like they were performing for us - and I liked that. The décor of the ship was the same - sophisticated.

Another observation is that the officers were so visible and always tried to help, even coming around at dinners and asking how everything was, if they could improve on something, if there were any complaints. All the staff seemed so concerned about our, the guests', experience. They definitely seemed to go that extra mile - very nice.

The ship is huge and it was completely booked but it never felt crowded (well, certain times in the buffet but we avoided that area) and I was shocked at how easy it was to navigate. I was able to easily find my way around from day one.

The best secret of the Breakaway is the Uptown Grill. In fact, I basically lived on Deck 16 during the day and Decks 6 and 7 mid during the evenings.

O'Sheehans has coffee with paper cups and lids 24/7. That was great to know.

All the Second City shows were awesome as were Rock of Ages and Burn the Floor. The dueling pianos were amazing and fun for the audience - lots of participation.

This was a wonderful cruise, very relaxing yet plenty to do if you wanted to be active nonstop.

Just returned from the Bermuda trip on the Breakaway. We have been on quite a few cruises, mostly NCL and Carnival. Maybe it is just me but the "feel" of the Breakaway was very different from past cruises. To me, it seemed more "sophisticated", more mature. Every crew member was polite, helpful and did their job perfectly but without the "goofiness" of those on previous cruises. I didn't feel like they were performing for us - and I liked that. The décor of the ship was the same - sophisticated.

Another observation is that the officers were so visible and always tried to help, even coming around at dinners and asking how everything was, if they could improve on something, if there were any complaints. All the staff seemed so concerned about our, the guests', experience. They definitely seemed to go that extra mile - very nice.

The ship is huge and it was completely booked but it never felt crowded (well, certain times in the buffet but we avoided that area) and I was shocked at how easy it was to navigate. I was able to easily find my way around from day one.

The best secret of the Breakaway is the Uptown Grill. In fact, I basically lived on Deck 16 during the day and Decks 6 and 7 mid during the evenings.

O'Sheehans has coffee with paper cups and lids 24/7. That was great to know.

All the Second City shows were awesome as were Rock of Ages and Burn the Floor. The dueling pianos were amazing and fun for the audience - lots of participation.

This was a wonderful cruise, very relaxing yet plenty to do if you wanted to be active nonstop.

I totally agree with you on everything you say, we sailed her twice and were going back in November. I especially loved deck 8, eating dinner or having a drink on the outside deck. The food was great in the specialties and the MDR. Couldn't have asked for more!

I totally agree also. I also loved the passengers. People were there to have fun and enjoy being together. Lots of action all the time, lots going on late into the night but no juvenile partying or silliness. Mature, sophisticated, lively and fun. Service was great- you are absolutely right, it was elegant and subtle, not over the top but perfect!

Edited by conandrob240

I totally agree also. I also loved the passengers. People were there to have fun and enjoy being together. Lots of action all the time, lots going on late into the night but no juvenile partying or silliness. Mature, sophisticated, lively and fun. Service was great- you are absolutely right, it was elegant and subtle, not over the top but perfect!

Overall I would tend to agree with you in that the passengers were there to have fun and enjoy themselves and there was lots going on, however I did see quite a bit of not so polite adults, many more than I've witnessed on other cruises. Some being rude to the staff as well as to the other guests.

I saw several kids, mainly teens (and I had two with me myself, so I'm not anti-kid in any way) who were blatantly disrespectful towards the ship and staff. Doing somewhat little things but also obnoxious things. Throwing golf balls overboard, running along the decks that had just been washed down and sliding into the caution cones to see who could knock them down. Taking the shuffle board equipment and hiding it, tossing some of the younger teen's "game" activity quest papers and tossing them overboard. To me that's a lot of juvenile silliness, and that doesn't touch on the partying.

I would in no way say that the feel of the passengers was more sophisticated than other cruises I've been on. But all of that being said, we did thoroughly enjoy our cruise and would certainly sail the Breakaway again!

I have to disagree with you, the ship pretty much always felt crowded. Every time I tried to get on an elevator, every time I was in a dining room, every time I wanted a pool chair, I realized there were over 4,000 other people that I was in competition with to use the amenities of the ship.

.....we had a Spa Mini-Suite and made a successful "Mad Dash" for Vibe passes.

If you needed to find either one of us you could find us at either the Spa, the Gym, Vibe or our cabin.

That being said, one of the only times I felt crowded was walking from our deck to Vibe since we had to walk up one flight outdoors and it was a beautiful day outside and the chairs were filled.

This year we have a Haven Spa Suite so I think we'll pass on the Vibe passes and use the Haven private deck.

wasiii

I have to disagree with you, the ship pretty much always felt crowded. Every time I tried to get on an elevator, every time I was in a dining room, every time I wanted a pool chair, I realized there were over 4,000 other people that I was in competition with to use the amenities of the ship.

I agree with you regarding the elevators, Im quite sure its because there are only 2 banks.. What makes the BA different to you regarding the crowded dining room and looking for a pool lounge than any other ship? I find that on all ships.

Did you not see the crew members in the buffet playing the guitar and singing the "happy, happy, washy, washy" song? That was the silliest thing I have seen yet:D Some cruises do seem more sophisticated - all of the European cruises seemed that way, but that was most likely the European "vibe." I thought the Breakaway was just your average cruise - not as party party as the Caribbean, but the passengers were just your average middle class Americans. For me the tone of the ship is set by the passengers and I thought the Breakaway was average.

The entertainment was indeed awesome and I thought this might be due to the NY location. The crew was great as always. With each new build the NCL brand seems to be getting better and better at figuring out what people like to do on vacation and how to keep everyone engaged.

Thanks for the review, we also enjoyed the Breakaway.

Did you not see the crew members in the buffet playing the guitar and singing the "happy, happy, washy, washy" song? That was the silliest thing I have seen yet:D .

I almost mentioned that as an exception!! That is ridiculous and the one thing they need to eliminate. But, as I said, we avoided the buffet so I only caught a glimpse of that a couple times.

We also did not use elevators. Using the stairs at all times is part of our exercise since we know we will need to burn extra calories.

I did not witness a single example of the teens behaving badly (normal for teens) but that would not be a reflection of the ship anyway.

This is exactly the kind if cruise we love. Only problem now is that the next several cruises will have a different demographic as all schools will now be out

We are taking the kids hopefully this exact week next year and it should be at least a week prior to the crazies getting onboard.

The first 2 weeks of June are great sometimes the 3 rd week is good too especially for those if us with kids who appreciate cruising and don't abuse the privilege

Edited by Crusin6

Overall I would tend to agree with you in that the passengers were there to have fun and enjoy themselves and there was lots going on, however I did see quite a bit of not so polite adults, many more than I've witnessed on other cruises. Some being rude to the staff as well as to the other guests.

I saw several kids, mainly teens (and I had two with me myself, so I'm not anti-kid in any way) who were blatantly disrespectful towards the ship and staff. Doing somewhat little things but also obnoxious things. Throwing golf balls overboard, running along the decks that had just been washed down and sliding into the caution cones to see who could knock them down. Taking the shuffle board equipment and hiding it, tossing some of the younger teen's "game" activity quest papers and tossing them overboard. To me that's a lot of juvenile silliness, and that doesn't touch on the partying.

I would in no way say that the feel of the passengers was more sophisticated than other cruises I've been on. But all of that being said, we did thoroughly enjoy our cruise and would certainly sail the Breakaway again!

The problem with obnoxious teens and adults for that matter is that NO cruise line is willing to correct them… They certainly don't go out of their way to watch for behavior like you said you experienced. I would love to see the security staff they have actually enforce the rules. I think they need to walk the ship and watch for unattended children, especially around the pool area and flag down their parents and let them know that they need to be with their children. As far as teens are concerned, they should be able to roam free through the ship BUT, again if they are misbehaving, their parents should be put on notice… That said, the reason they don't do this, and I find it on all cruise lines, is that they don't want to ruffle the feathers of the parents but by doing that they ruffle the feathers of other passengers who have to contend with their bad behavior.

I can't say that I witnessed this with kids on the Breakaway Cruises I have been on but I usually don't travel when kids are out of school because the ships are too crowded but even when school is in there are usually a couple of hundred kids onboard.

For the first time ever on a cruise I had to notify security about an unruly adult passenger and it was on the Breakaway, he was on his balcony all night drunk and being loud and obnoxious and vulgar. I know that there had to be more people who complained because he was really loud. Security called me and told me that they spoke to the man and that this would not happen again, they told me if I heard anything from him again to immediately notify them. I never heard another peep out of him and security from the ship followed up with 4 phone calls making sure everything was ok. My point, sometimes you have to go to security, in my case they resolved the problem.