Dawn Princess triple share cabin...

Reposting this from the Princess Lines thread...

Ā 

hi

Just wondering if anyone has travelled in a triple or quad on the Dawn Princess? I'm hoping to join a few friends on a trip to NZ in March 2015 and am wondering if anyone has photos of what the bunks are like? I believe the cabin we have is on Emerald deck and the beds come down from the roof. I'm interested to know what the head height is like for the bottom bunk and also the top one... if the bottom person is compromised too much I won't go as it's not fair...

thanks

Reposting this from the Princess Lines thread...

Ā 

hi

Just wondering if anyone has travelled in a triple or quad on the Dawn Princess? I'm hoping to join a few friends on a trip to NZ in March 2015 and am wondering if anyone has photos of what the bunks are like? I believe the cabin we have is on Emerald deck and the beds come down from the roof. I'm interested to know what the head height is like for the bottom bunk and also the top one... if the bottom person is compromised too much I won't go as it's not fair...

thanks

A person using the bottom bunk cannot sit upright on the bed. I feel there isn't enough room for four people in the cabin (unless it is a family with a couple of children). Having one bathroom could also present a problem.

I just googled "photo's of bunk beds on Dawn Princess" and some good photo's came up - but I couldn't find a link - but try that - and see for yourself - then you can decide.

Edited by dizzy1948

There are two different kinds of bunks, the ones we will have come down from the roof and not from the wall...

Ā 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The cabins with the ceiling mounted beds are better than the ones with the wall mounted beds when these beds are not in use, but when they are, I don't think there would be much difference.

Is this an inside or balcony cabin you are looking at?

Ā 

We had a dreaded balcony triple on the Sun (same as Dawn and Sea) and were warned that they would be bad as the two lower beds are fixed to the walls and the upper bunks folded up against the wall sticking out (quite unattractive). I'll try and upload a pic.

Ā 

It wasn't all that bad and it certainly didn't spoilt our cruise.

Ā 

With regard to size we have always travelled in a triple due to having a small child. As she gets older it is becoming more challenging but it's fine. I would think it would depend who is in your travel party as to whether there will be enough room. If you tend to just use your cabin to sleep in it will probably be fine but if you like to rest or have time in your cabin you may find it too small.

10403052_704045412964463_2017749148642249338_n.jpg.57b749151e947f3d3185837aaeb43492.jpg

10407795_704045826297755_2600515496426409303_n.jpg.92798b9da3b64a7116e249301ec98cfd.jpg

Edited by silverwillow

Hi there, no we are looking at an ocean view room with beds that come down from the ceiling... The room will the three adults and basically only used as a bedroom... plenty of other places to sit and read etc šŸ˜Š

Ā 

Ā 

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who is interested, I finally got a reply from Princess Cruises regarding the height of bunks...

Ā 

The clearance between the top of a lower bed mattress and the underside of the upper bunk is different on the inside to outside cabin.

Ā 

Outside cabin (porthole) is 34" or 87 cm (attachment 4)

Ā 

Inside cabins the clearance is 30" or 76 cm - not too much room to keep the back straight (attachment 5)

attachment-4.jpg.d10c78dce22555335b8bca1491a974ed.jpg

attachment-5.jpg.1e6dee37c42aa717a60af9c3daf33890.jpg

Thanks for this info. Did you happen to ask the clearance between the top of the top bunk and the ceiling for outside cabins? Taking family in January. If not a Princess contact and I can check out and post.

I have! It's the same cruise I did earlier this year but this time we are only booking one excursion and hopefully checking out the cities we visit!

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Good to hear - fantastic. Have a great time. We were on X round NZ a couple of years ago and spent most of the time on land in the port cities. A visit to some galleries, a check out of the museums or the gardens, a nice lunch, a quick look at the shops and so on.

Thanks for this info. Did you happen to ask the clearance between the top of the top bunk and the ceiling for outside cabins? Taking family in January. If not a Princess contact and I can check out and post.

Ā 

Ā 

Great question, I am pretty sure I asked that too but have asked again...

Ā 

Ā 

• 1 month later...
Is this an inside or balcony cabin you are looking at?

Ā 

We had a dreaded balcony triple on the Sun (same as Dawn and Sea) and were warned that they would be bad as the two lower beds are fixed to the walls and the upper bunks folded up against the wall sticking out (quite unattractive). I'll try and upload a pic.

Ā 

It wasn't all that bad and it certainly didn't spoilt our cruise.

Ā 

With regard to size we have always travelled in a triple due to having a small child. As she gets older it is becoming more challenging but it's fine. I would think it would depend who is in your travel party as to whether there will be enough room. If you tend to just use your cabin to sleep in it will probably be fine but if you like to rest or have time in your cabin you may find it too small.

Ā 

Ā 

Hi Silverwillow.

Ā 

Thanks for the info and photos. Planning a trip on Sun P. to New Guinea in April 2015, poss with 3 share in A735 or A737. May now have to rethink booking and try and get extra person to come along and book 2 normal balcony cabins as they do look cramped. I love the Princess line best, but Celebrity and Carnival have much larger cabins.

I am also planning on doing the Golden Princess Trip to Fiji in March 2016, so keep in touch and perhaps we can catch up.

Ā 

Best Regards

Ronda. :o

I am also planning on doing the Golden Princess Trip to Fiji in March 2016, so keep in touch and perhaps we can catch up.

Ā 

Which date are you leaving in March on the Golden? Our cruise leaves on the 8th of March but it doesn't go to fiji.

Ā 

If you are on this cruise there is a roll call you can join :)

• 1 year later...

Just booked up for our first cruise, on the Dawn Fremantle to Singapore. Two adults and teenager we have interior room on deck 9 with bunk. Not quite sure how it will work so was glad to find this post. Ultimately the room is for sleeping so will make it work for us. My only concern is my 15 year old at 6ft 2" and 270 pounds I hope they have good screws attaching them to the walls.