How to choose the right cabin

Hi I am booking my first cruise next year, and we have chosen Royal Carribean for its family friendliness. Travel agent has offered us D1 super cabin with balcony, but I can suffer with sea sickness, tough have been told I will be fine on a large ship hmmmm. Can anyone recommend particular cabins to aid seasickness. Any other useful tips will be appreciated.

I am a cruiser who suffers from seasickness too. On our first cruise, in 1984, I was given Bonine by the Customer Service Desk. It was fantastic. I never go on a cruise without it. I start taking it the day before we leave and take one tablet each day while I am on the cruise. It is not supposed to make you sleepy like Dramamine does but I have heard some people who have had trouble taking it. My believe is not to leave home without it.

Travel agent has given us a choice of D1, superior ocean view with balcony, can anyone recommend a good room number for me to specify. Thank you

What ship and sail date?

Travel agent has given us a choice of D1, superior ocean view with balcony, can anyone recommend a good room number for me to specify. Thank you

The D1 category may be perhaps a good fit for you. However, rather than accept "what the travel agent offers" would suggest going to Royal Caribbean's website and reading about the ships, deck plans, etc. You may find that you would prefer another category of cabin. You can also do a "dummy" booking on line to check prices.

I agree with a previous poster...the hubs is prone to motion sickness so we always try to choose "in the middle, in the middle" on any ship. So, I painstakingly count staterooms on a deck that has the most rooms in order to find the middle...then I count the number of decks to find the middle. That's where I book.

It's all the luck of the draw with mother nature...sometimes she's nice...and sometimes, she's not so nice. Good luck and enjoy your sail!

I am a cruiser who suffers from seasickness too. On our first cruise, in 1984, I was given Bonine by the Customer Service Desk. It was fantastic. I never go on a cruise without it. I start taking it the day before we leave and take one tablet each day while I am on the cruise. It is not supposed to make you sleepy like Dramamine does but I have heard some people who have had trouble taking it. My believe is not to leave home without it.

I too, swear by Bonnine for motion sickness but also agree most likely on a large ship you will be fine. Start taking the Bonnine 2 to 3 days before you leave and take the entire duration of the cruise. It is important to start taking before you leave. Select a cabin in the middle of the ship on any level.

I hate being on low decks.

I get moderately motion sick and I like being on decks 8-10, near the aft elevators. Trip to Bermuda is dicey: you can get seas like glass or storms and motion. Even so, I have never gotten ill on this trip and I have gone many times. Even if there are storms, it's usually 1 day or so.

Try Bonine before you go. Take it at night and see if you feel drowsy the next day. Start the day before any travel, if you like it.

Lot of side effects with the patch. I would also try that before you leave, if you are interested.

I find the front of the ship is worst for my motion sickness: too much up and down. Aft is more side to side feeling.

Edited by marci22

Bob it's The Explorer of the Seas and the 26/07/15

Trying to keep you low, but still in a balcony, there are a bunch of E2 category staterooms on deck 7 around the hump, such as 7318. If you want to be more midship, and stay in a balcony, you have to go higher to a D2, such as 9288 and 9588. The least motion would be an OV (no balcony) down on deck 2, such as 2590.

Edited by clarea

Bob it's The Explorer of the Seas and the 26/07/15

I too suffer from sea sickness but like others, highly recommend Bonine and starting it the day before sailing. I have sailed Explorer many times and found decks 7 or 8 mid to aft the best. I will not take a room that is in front of the hump, just the hump and rooms behind it. Hope that helps you. BTW, I did stay in a JS on the hump on deck 9 and was fine as well.

Hi I am booking my first cruise next year, and we have chosen Royal Carribean for its family friendliness. Travel agent has offered us D1 super cabin with balcony, but I can suffer with sea sickness, tough have been told I will be fine on a large ship hmmmm. Can anyone recommend particular cabins to aid seasickness. Any other useful tips will be appreciated.

Try to avoid looking diractly down at the water when under full power. The visual motion got to me one cruise. The next, I mainly looked at the horizon and barely got dizzy after. However, I love the balcony rooms.