Tendering

daisymay1960

We will be on a southbound Alaska Cruise on the Millenium in August and realised we dont know what ports ( if any ) are tendered . My booking details dont mention any tendering , and it has just occured to me that this wont necessarily mean that there arent any !

We will be on a southbound Alaska Cruise on the Millenium in August and realised we dont know what ports ( if any ) are tendered . My booking details dont mention any tendering , and it has just occured to me that this wont necessarily mean that there arent any !

If you're booked, go and look at your itinerary. It will specify either docked or tender for each port.

If you'll list your ports of call here, someone will be able to tell you if they are tender ports or not.

LuLu

I went to check and site under maintenance:rolleyes:

I'm trying to remember ports, but brain dead at the moment

Icey straight ?

Ketchikan

If you're booked, go and look at your itinerary. It will specify either docked or tender for each port.

There is no need to visit the Celebrity we site. You should have received a booking confirmation via email with the details of your booking. This will include the reservation number, the dates, the price, what has been paid, and what is owed. It will list all dates with the port being visited, the times of arrival and departure, or if a sea day. It will say "Docked" or "Tender" for each port being visited.

Edited by boogs

So we are new to cruising, tendering??, Dock??. So the difference?, I would love to hear any ones thoughts?. I apologize to the OP, but this has been a wonder to me.

Docking is when the ship pulls up to a pier and you walk straight off the ship via a gangway and onto land or transportation.

Tendering is when the ship anchors out in the bay or harbor and you reach the docks by small transfer boats. Often, these will be specialized life boats that double as tenders. Or, at ports the see many ships during the cruising season, they may have their own fleet of small boats that will come out to the ship to transfer passengers to shore. A temporary platform is attached to the side of the ship at a convenient doorway in the side of the ship and it is used as the ship's loading dock.

Edited by boogs

We did this cruise last year and the only port that was a tender port was Icy Strait Point. Tendering was easy though and not a long wait either heading to land or back to the ship.
The same for the Millennium this year.

It docks at all the other Alaska ports.

So we are new to cruising, tendering??, Dock??. So the difference?, I would love to hear any ones thoughts?. I apologize to the OP, but this has been a wonder to me.

Tenders are the larger lifeboats. This is RCL but they're all pretty much the same.

DSC01748.jpg

In most cases you go down a stairway to a platform to board the tender.

DSC01598-1.jpg

Thanks for the replies , I had wondered if icy point was because we have picked a very early tour and had been reading that cruise booked tours get priority tendering . But guess the tour companies are well aware of cruise ship protocol